Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 28, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Plans Next Live Musical; Step by Step Finally Coming to DVD
Young & Hungry Returns for Final Season; FX Renews Baskets
Nickelodeon Gets Norman Lear Project; 20th Anniversary Marathon of Sex and the City on E!
Netflix Series Big Mouth Adds Stars; Alexa and Carlos PenaVega Return to Hallmark Channel for Film
The Middle Marathon on Freeform Today for Finale Day; She-Ra Returns with Sitcom Voice Cast
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 21, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking Back at the Upfronts; Fresh Off the Boat and Last Man Standing DVDs Arriving on Tuesday
Fri-Yay: How Did Sitcoms Fare at the Upfronts?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April/May)

Atlanta - The Complete First Season Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season

03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
05/08 - Dear White People - Season 1
05/08 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season
05/29 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 1
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #61
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Cool KISS Reunion

Description of the KISS Reunion concerts 1996-1997:

KISS finally announced a reunion tour in April 1996, something KISS fans had been waiting for a very long time! The tour started in June 1996, and for that KISS had gathered the largest show they had ever toured with!
The stage (seen in picture 1) was not too impressive at first sight, just a bunch of amplifiers, a great amount of lights, a video wall and a new logo. But once the show got underway it would reveal how impressive it actually was.

The show was more or less the best from all previous shows, done in the usual over-the-top KISS manner, and the amount of fireworks used in the show had been increased enormously. But let's take the show step by step: The show actually started even before the band was on the stage. During the final sound check (which would be The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" blasted from the speakers), a large black curtain would be lowered to hide the stage. An enormous KISS logo was printed on the curtain, but that was only revealed when the stage lights was turned on behind it.
Then the house lights would be dimmed, and the familiar humming sound (first introduced on the 1985-86 Asylum Tour) would come from the speakers. This would continue for a time, while purple search lights were going around the arena!
Then for the first time since the Crazy Nights Tour, the much missed "You wanted the best, you got the best" introduction was heard. After the introduction KISS played a few bars of Deuce still hidden by the curtain, which would drop with a loud explosion... and there they were: Peter, Paul, Gene and Ace in full make-up and costumes.
At first the stage looked very bare... this was because the main part of the amplifier wall was lying down at the beginning of the show. During the opening of King Of The Night Time World, the amplifiers would be pushed up in up-right position, and suddenly the stage looked more complete.
The first thing most fans noticed however was the new logo. This was brighter than any other logo's KISS had ever used, and could run many different light patterns (as seen in picture 2).

The show would follow the usual patterns... in Firehouse the stage fills with smoke, sirens wails, emergency lights flashed, and Gene walked out with a torch and blew fire.
This was often followed by Shock Me, in which Ace had his solo.
He played the solo like he had in the '70's, and used the effects introduced on the Dynasty Tour in 1979: first he played on the smoking guitar, which would then be hanged from a hook, and "fly" into the lightning truss. The Ace would come out with the rocket firing guitar (picture 3), and shoot rockets hitting the stage lights, where they would explode. During the tour another effect was added to this part of the show: after Ace sends the last rocket into the lighting rig, the explosion would rip a light off, which would fall a few feet before hanging dangling from a wire. Awesome effect, because it looked real!

Later Gene would do his famous bass solo... he would appear on the left side of the stage, bathed in sickly green lights. Thunder would be heard from the speakers, while Gene started to strike the strings of his bass.
Then Gene would spit the fake blood in his mouth, and "fly" into the lightning rig (picture 4). This was an effect also used in the Dynasty show in 1979.
Standing on a platform high above the crowd (circled in on picture 5), Gene would sing God Of Thunder, before being lowered down, just before Peter's drumsolo.
As you can also see in picture 5, the lightning rig held the main part of the pyrotechnics effects. In this case the flamethrowers.

Set list:
(First US leg):

1. Deuce
2. King Of The Night Time World
3. Do You Love Me
4. Calling Dr. Love
5. Cold Gin
6. I Stole Your Love
7. Shout It Out Loud
8. Watchin´ You
9. Firehouse
10. Shock Me (incl. guitar solo)
11. Strutter
12. Rock Bottom
13. God Of Thunder (incl. bass- and drum solos)
14. New York Groove
15. Love Gun
16. 100.000 Years
17. Black Diamond

Encores:
18. Detroit Rock City
19. Beth
20. Rock And Roll All Nite

Other songs occasionally played:
Nothin' to lose

Set list
(Europe '96)

1. Deuce
3. Do You Love Me
4. Calling Dr. Love
5. Cold Gin
6. Watchin´ You
7. Firehouse
8. I Stole Your Love
9. Shock Me (incl. guitar solo)
10. Let Me Go, Rock ´n Roll
11. Shout It Out Loud
12. I Was Made For Lovin´ You
13. C’mon And Love Me
14. God Of Thunder (incl. bass- and drum solos)
15. New York Groove
16. Love Gun
17. 100.000 Years
18. Black Diamond

Encores:
19. Detroit Rock City
20. Beth
21. Rock And Roll Nite

Set list
(Lost Cities Tour/Europe '97)

1. Deuce
3. Let Me Go, Rock ’n Roll
4. Do You Love Me
5. Firehouse
6. Watchin’ You
7. Shock Me (incl. guitar solo)
8. Calling Dr. Love
9. Shout It Out Loud
10. Love Gun
11. Cold Gin
12. I Was Made For Lovin’ You
13. God Of Thunder (incl. bass- and drum solos)
14. New York Groove
15. 100.000 Years
16. Black Diamond

Encores:
17. Detroit Rock City
18. Beth
19. Rock And Roll All Nite

Other songs occasionally played:
2.000 Man, Shandi and Christine Sixteen
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #62
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Cool KISS Reunion

More description of the concert (written by a third party):

During most of the show, whenever the band needed an explosion (during songs like I Stole Your Love, and I Was Made For Lovin' You) some kind of pyroeffect would correspond with this from the top of the lightning rig.
The flamethrowers used on this tour was not like those used in the '70's. Those were gasburners, while these were chemical based flash pots.

These were also used on the stage during 100.000 Years... as you can see from picture 6, these weren't quite as impressive looking as the originals, but they created a great effect nonetheless!!

Just like all other good things, even a KISS show must come to an end, and with KISS it ended with a bang!
The Reunion shows would usually end with Black Diamond. This started with Paul playing a short solo, bathed in purple light, and a mirror ball hanging over him flashing thin light beams all over the arena.
The song ends almost like it's heard on Alive! with tons of explosions. While this goes on, Gene, Paul and Ace were hovering above the crowd on two cherry pickers. This was the '90's version of the Love Gun effect, where hydraulic lifts would hoist the three members high above the stage also during this song (picture 7). However, the cherry pickers were cheaper, and more useful... the lightning crew also used them.
And no KISS show with the four original members would be complete without Peter's drumkit rising high above the stage and of course it did (picture 8).
As you can see, two golden cats was revealed as the drumkit started to "fly".
What you can't see, is that the cats had flashing green eyes.

KISS added a few effects during the tour. The most significant addition was Paul's flying stunt, which was introduced during the Lost Cities tour in March-April '97. The flying stunt was something Paul had tried to do in many years... as far as I remember they had talked about it, as early as in 1979.
But finally they worked the stunt out (as seen in picture 9). Paul would introduce Love Gun, and ask the audience if they wanted him to come out there (I wonder what he would have done, if the answer had been a resounding "NO"? But, off course, it never was!).
Paul's transporter would then arrive on stage (there were two versions of the stunt; one for indoor arena's, and one for outdoor venues... the one shown in picture 9 is the indoor version), and then Paul would "fly" over the crowd to a platform out in the arena (for stadium shows he would land on the mixing tower).
Here he would sing Love Gun before traveling back to the stage where he would "shoot" with his guitar into the lightning rig, while a large amount of pyro's would go off!

Something entirely new introduced on this tour was the inflatables (picture 10). These were supposedly very hard to make stand up, and couldn't be used whenever the weather was bad. Sometimes they were standing inside the arena's (beside the stage, which they did at the first show in Detroit's Tiger Stadium), but mostly they were standing outside the stadiums (funnily enough not at any of the three shows I saw!).
There are two more things I want to mention about the Reunion tour, two one-off instances...
First there was the show in Atlanta, GA., USA on October 1st, 1996.
On this night they dropped balloons over the audience, in addition to the usual confetti, as you can see here on picture 11.
The reason behind the balloons are unknown, but as the two shows in Atlanta was filmed for a possible live video, that was maybe to make things look better for the people watching at home! The home video never materialized, but the segment with the balloons was part of the "Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve" TV show (which could also be the reason behind the decision behind the use of the balloons).

Last thing I want to bring up about the Reunion tour is the April 5th 1997 show in Columbus, OH., USA. Peter had been complaining about pain in his arms, probably due to a long tour and an aging body.
Anyway, Peter wasn't able to lift his arms on April 5th, and KISS had to make a hasty decision: cancel the show or replace Peter?
As the doors had already been opened, it was decided to put Peter's drumtech Eddie Kanon into Peter's costume and make-up and have him perform instead. The show went on, and Paul announced the change after King Of The Night Time World. Afterwards the internet was buzzing with rumors, but in general most fans at the show seemed happy that the band played instead of canceling the show.
A bootleg video of the show has since emerged, which reveals that while Eddie's drumming was a bit off at some points, he did a very admirable job (picture 12)!
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #63
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool KISS Reunion

During most of the show, whenever the band needed an explosion (during songs like I Stole Your Love, and I Was Made For Lovin' You) some kind of pyroeffect would correspond with this from the top of the lightning rig.
The flamethrowers used on this tour was not like those used in the '70's. Those were gasburners, while these were chemical based flash pots.

These were also used on the stage during 100.000 Years... as you can see from picture 6, these weren't quite as impressive looking as the originals, but they created a great effect nonetheless!!

Just like all other good things, even a KISS show must come to an end, and with KISS it ended with a bang!
The Reunion shows would usually end with Black Diamond. This started with Paul playing a short solo, bathed in purple light, and a mirror ball hanging over him flashing thin light beams all over the arena.
The song ends almost like it's heard on Alive! with tons of explosions. While this goes on, Gene, Paul and Ace were hovering above the crowd on two cherry pickers. This was the '90's version of the Love Gun effect, where hydraulic lifts would hoist the three members high above the stage also during this song (picture 7). However, the cherry pickers were cheaper, and more useful... the lightning crew also used them.
And no KISS show with the four original members would be complete without Peter's drumkit rising high above the stage and of course it did (picture 8).
As you can see, two golden cats was revealed as the drumkit started to "fly".
What you can't see, is that the cats had flashing green eyes.

KISS added a few effects during the tour. The most significant addition was Paul's flying stunt, which was introduced during the Lost Cities tour in March-April '97. The flying stunt was something Paul had tried to do in many years... as far as I remember they had talked about it, as early as in 1979.
But finally they worked the stunt out (as seen in picture 9). Paul would introduce Love Gun, and ask the audience if they wanted him to come out there (I wonder what he would have done, if the answer had been a resounding "NO"? But, off course, it never was!).
Paul's transporter would then arrive on stage (there were two versions of the stunt; one for indoor arena's, and one for outdoor venues... the one shown in picture 9 is the indoor version), and then Paul would "fly" over the crowd to a platform out in the arena (for stadium shows he would land on the mixing tower).
Here he would sing Love Gun before traveling back to the stage where he would "shoot" with his guitar into the lightning rig, while a large amount of pyro's would go off!

Something entirely new introduced on this tour was the inflatables (picture 10). These were supposedly very hard to make stand up, and couldn't be used whenever the weather was bad. Sometimes they were standing inside the arena's (beside the stage, which they did at the first show in Detroit's Tiger Stadium), but mostly they were standing outside the stadiums (funnily enough not at any of the three shows I saw!).
There are two more things I want to mention about the Reunion tour, two one-off instances...
First there was the show in Atlanta, GA., USA on October 1st, 1996.
On this night they dropped balloons over the audience, in addition to the usual confetti, as you can see here on picture 11.
The reason behind the balloons are unknown, but as the two shows in Atlanta was filmed for a possible live video, that was maybe to make things look better for the people watching at home! The home video never materialized, but the segment with the balloons was part of the "Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve" TV show (which could also be the reason behind the decision behind the use of the balloons).

Last thing I want to bring up about the Reunion tour is the April 5th 1997 show in Columbus, OH., USA. Peter had been complaining about pain in his arms, probably due to a long tour and an aging body.
Anyway, Peter wasn't able to lift his arms on April 5th, and KISS had to make a hasty decision: cancel the show or replace Peter?
As the doors had already been opened, it was decided to put Peter's drumtech Eddie Kanon into Peter's costume and make-up and have him perform instead. The show went on, and Paul announced the change after King Of The Night Time World. Afterwards the internet was buzzing with rumors, but in general most fans at the show seemed happy that the band played instead of canceling the show.
A bootleg video of the show has since emerged, which reveals that while Eddie's drumming was a bit off at some points, he did a very admirable job (picture 12)!
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #64
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face KISS Reunion: Problems with Peter Criss?

The previous article mentioned that drummer Peter Criss was having problems doing the tour due to physical ailments such as aging. It was reported that he was even suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome--but inside reports said that he was actually suffering from the dissatisfaction of being paid what he felt he was worth...He went MIA from a few shows while his drum tech slapped on the cat clown makeup and took his place on the drum riser for the shows. Fans could tell the difference, and Paul Stanley admitted onstage that Criss' drum tech was filling his spot. The fans applauded, and the concert went on without a hitch. The band had a long discussion with Peter, which he agreed to, and soon the group's resident Catman was back in the catbird (drum) seat.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #65
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Talking Kiss - The Untold Story

Before the original members of Kiss reunited in 1996, they tried reuniting under their original persona and name. . . .

PSYCHIC TOMATO!!!!!!

(Psychic Tomato, ready to take on St. Cloud, Minnesota, again.)

Yes, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, and Strom Thurmond (the former and future Ace Frehley) had once again put on the clown suits to play the kindergarten music they really loved, and not that stoo-pid heavy metal stuff. In December 1995, they returned to the legendary club where they honed their dubious musical skills, the Benihana of Tokyo in St. Cloud, Minnesota. (Too bad it had become a Sambo's and was now a burned-out hulk of a building.) So they rented the local VFW hall there and rehearsed for half an hour (rentals were expensive) performing their legendary tunes, "Sponge Cake," "Pie In the Face," "Ode to a Cucumber," and the haunting "Gimme Back My Muffins." Plus, they debuted two new Tomato songs, "Washabubu" and "I Like My Pants."

They then put on a show in Fargo, North Dakota, where Debra Messing, whose fifth birthday party they performed at, attended. Everything was going groovy, until, once again, Neil Bogert stepped in. He told Psychic Tomato that if they were going to reunite at all, it would have to be as Kiss, because no one other than Debra Messing would care. This was astonishing, as Neil Bogert had been dead for fourteen years. Plus, he promised to haunt them if they didn't listen to him!

(As of 1996, there was still no word on the whereabouts of their original manager, Freddy DeMint, but it had been rumored that he was working as a living statue of Buddha in Omaha. )

(Debra Messing, president of the Psychic Tomato fan club - in fact, she is the Psychic Tomato fan club! )

Last edited by Steve M. : 11-21-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #66
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

P.S. If you believed everything I said in that last post, you're crazier than I am!

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE:

REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS SCOTT WALKER - RICK SNYDER - JOHN KASICH - RICK SCOTT - PAUL LePAGE

ON THE CHARGE OF IMPERSONATING AN OFFICE!!

Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 AM   #67
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool KISS invades the Tacoma Dome!!

That summer I got to see the Reunion concert when it made its way through the Pacific Northwest, in Tacoma, WA. at the Tacoma Dome, and while the show wasn't a total sellout, it had a huge number in attendance. Not only were there annoying anti-rock street preachers preaching hellfire and brimstone for people going to such a satanic event (they seemed to show up only certain rock shows, but not for country or pop... ), there were TONS of gorgeous women dressed to the nines (or should I say, to the 4 1/2's!! ) and a Gene Simmons impersonator!! The tall inflatable KISS standup figures were there as well.

The show was opened by industrial alternative band Stabbing Westward, who were pretty good. One quarter of the Dome was closed off for a KISS merchandise section, but the rest of the place was packed. And when the P.A. played "Won't Get Fooled Again", you knew it was time!! The lights went down and the band came on in their full glory, playing "Deuce" and "King of the Night Time World". Before launching into "Cold Gin", Paul gave a little warning about people partying too hearty, "we want to see you here again next time, so be careful out there!" It may not have been "rock and roll", but as teatotallers as he and Gene have been, it made sense, especially when you have two notorious drinkers in the band like Ace and Peter. Paul did relate a story which Ace asked backstage, is this Seattle or Tacoma? So Paul got the crowd into chanting who was from Tacoma or from Seattle. It was also funny that each time the crowd stood up on chairs for a better view, security told them to sit down. The crowd was having too good of a time!! Gene went through his macabre gestures playing a bass solo before "God of Thunder", and then FLEW THROUGH THE AIR up to the top of the lighting rig!! Amazing!! At the end of "God of Thunder", Peter played his drum solo, but even though it was decent, it wasn't up to what he used to play on the live albums. Showing his age? He also came out to sing "Beth", and he showed that he is quite a short individual. At the end of "Black Diamond" the band went on risers, including the cat drum riser, and explosions from fire pots actually SET THE CEILING ON FIRE!! After a few minutes house crews put out the fire, and the band came out for encores! Paul thanked the crowd for sticking around, and launched into "Detroit Rock City" and "Rock and Roll All Night". There was more to the concert than described (read about it all on the proceeding pages), but this was one of the best times I ever had seeing KISS! Next to seeing them in 1977, 1979, and I would then see them in 1997 in Seattle.

KISS was the top-grossing tour for 1996.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 02:14 AM   #68
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Marilyn Manson--Antichrist Superstar

If church brigades and anti-rock zealots found the time to harangue audiences for attending concerts by rockers many considered past their prime, they would have their hands full by the furor (Fuhrer?) unleashed by the album by Marilyn Manson in the fall of that year. Produced by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, it was a pure statement of purpose, it would become every parents' nightmare that would confirm everything evil about rock and roll (as other bands and albums had in the past). This time it was the former Brian Warner's turn, the young Christian school reject who feared the rise of the future malevolent world leader prophecied in the Book of Revelation--now was his time to rise on his new persona on the album:

ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR.

On the album Manson portrayed himself as a rock and roll Reichsfuhrer to a T:

Irresponsible Hate Anthem

I am so all-american, I'd sell you suicide
I am totalitarian, I've got abortions in my eyes
I hate the hater, I'd rape the raper
I am the animal who will not be himself
f*** it (x4)
Hey victim, should I black your eyes again?
Hey victim,
you were the one who put the stick in my hand
I am the ism, my hate's a prism
let's just kill everyone and let your god sort them out
f:*** it (x4)
Everybody's someone else's n*****/I know you are so am I
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers/
I don't need to choose a side
I better, better, better, better not say this
better, better, better, better not tell
better, better, better, better not say this
better, better, better, better not tell
I hate the hater, I'd rape the raper
I am the idiot who will not be himself
f it(x4)
Everybody's someone else's n/I know you are so am I
America can not see anything (x4)

AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
f it (x4)
F (x3)
Everybody's someone else's n/I know you are so am I
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #69
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Marilyn Manson

Here, on Marilyn Manson's best-known song, he lashes out at "normal" persons in society, the ones with influence, power and control. Those who found his act ugly, repulsive and corrupting failed to see their own ugliness and corruption. His act and his very name capitalized on society's obsession with sex, death and celebrity status.

It took a long while to release the album, due to Manson's experiments with sleep deprivation and drugs in order to fuel creativity and create the proper dark mood for the album. Original guitarist Daisy Berkowitz left the band durign recording, and the remaining guitarist Twiggy Ramirez remained to do the guitar parts. For the upcoming tour, the band found a guitarist by the name of Zim Zum, who was not named for supermodels or serial killers, but took his name from the Jewish mystical sect of Kabbalah.

The Beautiful People

I don't want ya and I don't need ya
don't bother to resist or I'll beat ya
It's not your fault that you're always wrong
the weak ones are there to justify the strong

the beautiful people, the beautiful people
it's all relative to the size of your steeple
you can't see the forest for the trees
and you can't smell your own s on your knees

there's no time to discriminate,
hate every motherr
that's in your way

(chorus)
Hey you, what do ya see?
something beautiful, something free?
hey you, are you trying to be mean?
you live with apes man, it's hard to be clean

the worms will live in every host
it's hard to pick which one they eat the most

the horrible people, the horrible people
it's as anatomic as the size of your steeple
capitalism has made it this way,
old-fashioned fascism will take it away

(chorus)

there's no time to discriminate,
hate every motherr
that's in your way

The beautiful people x8

(chorus x2)

The Beautiful People x8

Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #70
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Marilyn Manson

Manson described the album as a "musical ritual to bring about the Apocalypse", and for many, he had pretty much lived up to those expectations, being that the decade was so close to the Millenium. Not for a long while had rock and roll had a shocking, dark, theatrical character to upset the masses, from Jim Morrison to Alice Cooper to Ozzy, and now Marilyn Manson. While the other performers attained some level of respectability due to becoming classic rock icons, Manson was going to wreak havok for the 90's.

As the Dead to the World tour was getting underway, in December 1996, a press conference was called by "morals czar" William J. Bennett, Senator Joseph Lieberman, and activist C. DeLores Tucker, aimed at MCA, the owner of Interscope Records which released Manson's albums. Calling several albums released by the label — including Antichrist Superstar — "profane", "violent", "filth", and "crap", the group questioned MCA president Edgar Bronfman's ability to head the label compentently while profiting from such material. In addition, the tour itself was followed by protesters at nearly every venue it visited. The band's March 10, 1997 performance in Columbia, South Carolina was cancelled "in response to growing public pressure by religious, civic and political leaders who criticized the group's image"[4]. The owner of Calgary's Max Bell Centre had Marilyn Manson's July 25 show cancelled, citing "immorality" and the band's "use of animals on stage." Another concert in Portland was cancelled a few days later due to Manson's reputation, and the venue's inability to get insurance for the gig. That November 6, U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management and Restructuring held a public hearing on the effect of violent rock and rap lyrics on youths. Supporters of the band claim it was merely another salvo in Senator Lieberman's declared war on the band. The hearing, chaired by Representative Sam Brownback, featured the testimony of Lieberman and Tucker, and of Raymond Kuntz, of Burlington, North Dakota, who blamed his son's suicide on Antichrist Superstar, which Lieberman denounced as "vile, hateful, nihilistic and damaging".

America's Culture Wars had a new headache--and its name was Marilyn Manson.

Man That You Fear

the ants are in the sugar
the muscles atrophied
we're on the other side, the screen is us and we're t.v.
spread me open,
sticking to my pointy ribs
are all your infants in abortion cribs
I was born into this
everything turns to s
the boy that you loved is the man that you fear
pray until your number,
asleep from all your pain,
your apple has been rotting
tomorrow's turned up dead
i have it all and i have no choice but to
i'll make everyone pay and you will see
you can kill yourself now
because you're dead
in my mind
the boy that you loved is the monster you fear
peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark,
you've poisoned all of your children to camouflage your scars
pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear
pray your life was just a dream
the cut that never heals
pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
(I am so tangled in my sins that I cannot escape)
pinch the head off, collapse me like a weed
someone had to go this far
I was born into this
everything turns to s
the boy that you loved is the man that you fear
peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark,
you've poisoned all of your children to camouflage your scars
pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear
pray your life was just a dream
the cut that never heals
pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
the world in my hands, there's no one left to hear you scream
there's no one left for you
when all your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #71
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Marilyn Manson

Manson felt that good and evil, darkness and light existed in all, especially the pop culture icons and idols we adored and vilified. Marilyn Monroe had a dark side, he explained, and Charles Manson had a thoughtful, intelligent side.
The religious right, church brigades and conservatives failed to see that Marilyn Manson was rather quite intelligent and outspoken, and were unaware that as shocking as his theatrical act onstage and on his album was, it was in fact a damning commentary on the state of affairs in today's warped culture. The album seemed to take on the tone of Pink Floyd's The Wall with its parody of demagoguery (of which there was plenty in the 90's) and fascism.

Antichrist Superstar

You built me up with your wishing hell
I didn't have to sell you
You threw your money in the pissing well
You do just what they tell you

REPENT, that's what I'm talking about
I shed the skin to feed the fake
REPENT, that's what I'm talking about
Whose mistake am i anyway?

Cut the head off
Grows back hard
I am the hydra
Now you'll see your star

P rick your finger it is done
The moon has now eclipsed the sun
Angel has spread its wings
The time has come for bitter things
P rick your finger it is done
The moon has now eclipsed the sun
Angel has spread its wings
The time has come for bitter things

REPENT, that's what he's talking about
I shed the skin to feed the fake
REPENT, that's what he's talking about
Whose mistake am i anyway?

Cut the head off
Grows back hard
I am the hydra
Now you'll see your star

Time has come
It is quite clear
Our antichrist
Is almost here

Time has come
It is quite clear
Our antichrist
Is almost here

Time has come
It is quite clear
Our antichrist
Is almost here

Cut the head off
Grows back hard
I am the hydra
Now you'll see your star

(When you are suffering,
Know that I have betrayed you
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
When you are suffering,
Know that I have betrayed you)
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #72
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Cool The 1996 Olympics

It had been a mere twelve years since the Summer Olympics were staged in the United States. Rather than being held it in a city, however, the Games of the 26th Olympiad - held one hundered years after the first modern Olympic Games were held - were staged in Atlanta, a parking lot with skyscrapers.

Apart from Gladys Knight (below), who performed "Georgia On My Mind," the opening ceremony blew. It would have to take a big, big, big personality - someone larger than life - to redeem this spectacle.

And then he appeared.

Muhammad Ali, the first man to set verse to rhythm - the original rapper - lit the fuse that led to the cauldron that would burn brightly throughout the Games, and three billion people watched him. He then disappeared into the trap door behind the podium on which he'd stood.

The next day, when the trap door was opened, Jimmy Hoffa was found. KIDDING!!

If Ali could light the torch in an advanced state of Parkinson's disease, it said a lot about the potential of humanity.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #73
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Red face July 27, 1996 - Terror at the Olympics!

Eight days after Ali's triumph, faith in humanity was lost again.

At 1:30 A.M. on July 27, 1996, Olympians and tourists were enjoying a free concert by a bar band that had once been MTV's New Year's Eve house band when a bomb filled with nails exploded. Over a hundred people were injured, a local resident named Alice Hawthorne was killed, and a Turkish TV cameraman died of cardiac arrest running to the scene. Ironically, the name of the rock group performing was Jack Mack and the Heart Attack.

The fear of terrorism had been very real. A New York-to-Paris TWA jet airliner had exploded over the south shore of Long Island ten days earlier, leading some to suspect terrorism (the explosion turned out to be an accident), and it was later learned that counterterrorism expert Richard Clarke told President Clinton to close Atlanta's air space when he suspected the possibility of terrorists crashing a plane into the stadium.

Security officer Richard Jewell was initially suspected (but never officially), depite the evidence that he couldn't have done it; he was exonerated in that October. The real killer, Eric Rudolph, a right-wing extremist, was finally caught in North Carolina seven years later.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #74
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Exclamation August 4, 1996 - The Atlanta Olympics end

After the terrorist attack, the Games were able to resume and continue without a hitch. The Games ended peacefully on August 4, 1996. Stevie Wonder (below) performed John Lennon's "Imagine" at the closing ceremony.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 AM   #75
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Marilyn Manson

Homegrown terrorism was for many a sure sign of the Apocalypse for many, while the release of Marilyn Manson's second full-length album was another. Manson had become an honorary member of the Church of Satan, with "blessings" from its head Priest Anton LaVey, who in fact in an interview with Manson asked to call him simply Brian Warner, out of respect for one of his peers, the late Marilyn Monroe, who allegedly may or may not have been involved with the irreverent reverend. But Manson was not one to point to Satan as a macabre figure in a red suit causing trouble for Christians, but Satanism was a simply a worship of self, using one's own intellect and pursuing one's own pleasures. Manson would later comment that "Christians" would act worse than the supposed Satanists and believers of other faiths (or freethinkers), as this would soon bear out in the years to come.

Kinderfield

He lives inside my mouth and tells me what to say
When he turns the trains off, he makes it go away
The hands are cracked and dirty and the nails are beetle wings
When he turns the trains off, he unties all of the strings

The worm: "Tell me something beautiful,
Tell me something free,
Tell me something beautiful
And I wish that I could be."

(Then I got my wings and I never even knew it
When I was a worm, thought I couldn't get through it)

Jack: (not spoken) Come, come
The toys all smell like children and the scab-knees will obey
I'll have to kneel on broomsticks just to make it go away.

[The Inauguration Of The Worm]

(Then I got my wings and I never even knew it
When I was a worm, thought I couldn't get through it)

A voice we have not yet heard: "Because today is black/Because there is no turnign back/Because your lies have watered me/I have become the strongest weed" weed...

Through Jack's eyes: The taste of metal
Disintegrator
Three holes upon the leather belt
It's cut and swollen
And the age is showing

Boy: "There's no one here to save ourself."

The Disintegrator: (to himself)
This is what you should fear
You are what you should fear

Marilyn; and Twiggy Ramirez live:
Attached Images

Closed Thread