Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Well, it was the 5th highest rated show on television last week that might give us a clue. Someone else responding mentioned "The Good Place", (a show in direct competition), if we quadrupled the audience of that show it still wouldn't equal the audience size of Young Sheldon, that might assist answering your question.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
MikaelaArsenault
Miles Robbins
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76
Well, it was the 5th highest rated show on television last week that might give us a clue. Someone else responding mentioned "The Good Place", (a show in direct competition), if we quadrupled the audience of that show it still wouldn't equal the audience size of Young Sheldon, that might assist answering your question.
Not a good sign?

And will always like Harry Anderson too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

MeTV, UP TV, Laff, or Cozi TV, please add Dave's World or The John Larroquette Show to your lineups. Thank you.

PLEASE release a complete series boxset of The John Larroquette Show (and the final season of Dave's World). Thanks.

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MikaelaArsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #18
Sal

I happen to watch it every week and I think it is the best sitcom to come along in the last 15 years. The pilot was so good that it just blew me away. I understand that the "old" Sheldon can be very annoying but on this show his little quirks are actually cute and funny and create much of the laughs. It is amazing to me how a 9 year old kid actor can nail the part with such confidence and precision every week that it is just scary to watch and a wonder to behold. I can see a few Emmys in the future for sure for both him and the series.

I'm not surprised that both series are doing so well. The ratings say so in a very emphatic matter so somebody must be watching them and loving them. In Canada, the season premiere of The Big Bang Theory on CTV drew over 3,875,000 total viewers and Young Sheldon wasn't far behind with over 3.5 million (including myself for both shows!). Those are astounding numbers for a rookie series and since then it has not let up. On average both series are drawing between 1.5 to 2.5 million viewers a week, more than double the competition----to which I say, what competition?

Since Will & Grace was cancelled by NBC the first time around, that moment marked the symbolic end of Must See TV, a Thursday night dynasty than began with The Cosby Show and remained strong for about 20 years. Since then, it has merely switched addresses from NBC to CBS, where many of their hit sitcoms are now on Thursday nights, anchored solidly by "The Big Bang Theory". This year, NBC brought back Will & Grace partly as a way to reclaim their territory, but so far, even though the comeback has been a success, the overall results have failed. On Thursdays, CBS has destroyed NBC and laid to waste the other networks that it isn't even a fair fight.

When CBS was showing NFL games, I watched the NBC comedies and although they aren't too bad they aren't close to "The Big Bang Theory". "Superstore" has America Ferrara from "Ugly Betty" who I like but overall the show is very dull and uninspiring. "The Good Place" stars Kristen Bell (and let's face it, any place with Kristen Bell is a good place!) and she is very good but Ted Danson seems old, tired, and bitter. He should have never closed the bar. After about 13 more episodes, he may have to go back. Surprisingly, I find the "new" "Will & Grace" to be better than the old series, possibly because there seems to be less pressure on the cast to live up to the standards of the past, so they just seem to be winging it most of the time and having fun while they're at it. If it becomes a hit, it's like a bonus for NBC. If it fails, at least their fans are happy, so it's a win-win for all parties. Despite all this, it's still losing ratings points to "Mom", which I watch less and less of each season. Why? Because Anna Faris was supposed to be the "Mom" and the show was supposed to revolve around her. Instead, it's her old hag mom Bonnie that steals all the scenes (and all the awards) and I simply hate that.

So, to review:

Big Bang Theory - great show and better than ever;

Young Sheldon - simply outstanding;

everything else on Thursdays - good but not good enough to watch every week
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
tvfan25
Forum Regular

I like Young Sheldon too. I think it's funny. Lot better than some of the crap on TV.
tvfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #20
Edward216

No not me. And I have no intention of ever watching it.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #21
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

One Word...

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
One Word...

The show is one of the biggest hits new series in recent memory, last week it was the 5th highest rated show with an audience of 14 million.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #23
Yong Fang

I gave up on Big Bang several seasons ago but really enjoy this show. While not from Texas, I grew up in the South and identify with these characters and circumstances. An average, working class redneck family with a genius kid. And the kid who plays the genius does Sheldon quite well. Even though the show is about Sheldon, it is an ensemble program. Plus Annie Potts, damn that woman is still good looking and she's 65.

If you don't like a show, don't watch it. If enough people don't like it, it won't be on anymore. At least at my parents house, there is about fifty different channels with most of them making new programming. It's not 1970 anymore where a show that sucks takes up one third of what is on TV for the night.

I love this show and hopefully will stay on for a few seasons until the kid is too old and too different looking to be Sheldon.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #24
brettfan
Frequent Poster

Saw one show just to see what it was like. It is produced by Jim Parson and he narrates each show in some sort of flashback like The Goldbergs. The parents are southern and the kid gets into mischief. That's about all I know. Seemed corny. I never saw it again.
brettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #25
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

I have avoided Young Sheldon at all costs, even though I like The Big Bang Theory (which I got into because of Bernadette). I never knew 2 Broke Girls was going to get cancelled the moment Young Sheldon was picked up to series last March (of 2017). Later in May, 2 Broke Girls did get cancelled, and I wanted its run to continue on TBS, but that did not happen, and the release of a "Complete Series" DVD set of 2BG evaporated those hopes. Warner Bros. denied 2 Broke Girls any sense of closure, and I will never forgive them for this. Young Sheldon, in essence, replaced 2 Broke Girls, and I refuse to watch Young Sheldon for that very reason. Plus, I was surprised to see Young Sheldon draw the (huge) number of viewers it actually has.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
KatieAnn
Frequent Poster

I like Young Sheldon. The parents and grandmother are very entertaining, and little Sheldon is very cute and not grating the way the adult version of Sheldon is. Even Sheldon's siblings and Sheldon's school friend have appeal and are fun to watch. I watch the show every week.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
Chocolate Moose

I like both shows very much and have been watching all along.