Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100
The Office Starts Jan. 1 on COZI TV; The Good Place Star to Host TBS Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thumbs down Hollywood's Sad State: 1 in 3 Films Next Year Will Be Based on Unoriginal Material

A summer of sequels and reboots just passed, and it's time to look ahead ... to another year full of sequels and reboots! A quick analysis by Vulture of next year’s releases shows that one in three films will be either a remake, reboot, rerelease, sequel, or prequel. As one might expect, the summer will be especially rich in déjà vu: Half the films in both June and July carry the DNA of films past — which sounds like a lot until you get to August, when two thirds of the movies do.

No genre is safe from freeze-drying: Action will get Journey (to the Center of the Earth) 2, Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance, and Die Hard 5. Horror will get Underworld Awakening and The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes. Not content with $1.8 billion in worldwide grosses from weepy tweens, Paramount will rerelease Titanic, this time in glorious, wallet-shrinking 3-D! Sequels? You like sequels? How about The Expendables 2, Madagascar 3, Step Up 4, or Scary Movie 5? Didn't care for Relativity’s March remake of Snow White? Give it another chance in June, when Universal releases Snow White and the Huntsman!

Believe it or not, 2012 actually marks an ever-so-slight (a little more than half a percent) decrease in movie cloning from this year, but it is nonetheless a marked increase from 2010, when “only” one in four movies in wide release was based on preexisting material.

.http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...id=partnerfeed

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Vahan

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make remaking movies an ongoing trend in Hollywood, is officially one of the biggest morons ever to set foot in that city.
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Hollywood wouldn't recognize an original idea if it strolled down the red carpet at a premiere!! That goes for movie and TV production!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
waichingliu81
debbie allen

this is why i lost faith in the movie industry, as well as the record industry and TV industry. in other words, entertainment has gone down the toilet.

i'd stick with the 80s, 90s thanks.
waichingliu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahan
Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make remaking movies an ongoing trend in Hollywood, is officially one of the biggest morons ever to set foot in that city.

I agree, with the price of movies rising, moviegoers DESERVE good original content!
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Jaqui-Michel
Brick City Citizen
Forum Regular

Once the sequel number goes above "3" you know we are in trouble. Well atleast they haven't made Avenging Disco Godfather II.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: I'm just a slightly overweight boy from Cleveland Ohio!
Oh No

I'm actually going to write a paper about this in school this year and I have this too to say...

FREE HAT!!!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

There's been talk of another sequel to the remake of Friday the 13th with the plot being a group of people find "found footage" and go to Crystal Lake and investigate. This has been done to death in the horror genre for over ten years now. Actually, they've been doing it since the late 70's, but at least back then it was original.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Oh No

I'm so not surprised. Like Marv said, Hollywood wouldn't know anything original if it goosed them!!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
Schmoopie
Want to be a dreamer? Be one..
Forum Veteran

Not surprising at all. Sometimes the same idea for different movies can be interesting if done right, but usually Hollywood gets it wrong!
Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
old grouch

I think I'll save my money and stick to the originals, which are usually better than the remakes.
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Torgo
Art by Baby Torgo
Forum Veteran

How is this news? Go back to the summers of the 80's and 90's and it was remakes and sequels. Heck, Hollywood has been remaking movies, and doing sequels almost as long as Hollywood has been around. Universal Studio was franchising their horror films long before Freddy and Jason came along.

There's still original films being made, but if you're only looking at the mainstream you're not going to find it. Go outside of Hollywood and you'll be amazed at what you find. Then again most "original" movies borrow from, or are inspired by previous movies.

I give most remakes a fair chance...after all some remakes have become classics- Scarface with Al Pacino, John Carpenter's The Thing, David Cronenberg's The Fly.....even John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 is a modern retelling of Rio Bravo.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Vahan

It's not that they're doing remakes, it's that they're doing them more than ever. I don't remember Hollywood remakes being this frequent.
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote