Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery


The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2
CBS Announces Cast for The World's Best; Bravo Gets Anthology Series
News From 2018 New York Comic Con: Stan Against Evil, Lore, Siren, Riverdale and More!


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
paul.austin
Member
Frequent Poster
 
paul.austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 22, 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 145
Default The point of "The Liberation of Marcia Brady"?

What's the point of this episode when as the show goes on, Marcia is happy to use both femininity and romantic appeal to manipulate people?

It also brings up a real-life point: why are girls allowed to attempt to make things like Boy Scouts co-ed, but if a boy tries to join a girls-only thing like Girl Guides, he's refused?
paul.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
What's the point of this episode when as the show goes on, Marcia is happy to use both femininity and romantic appeal to manipulate people?

It also brings up a real-life point: why are girls allowed to attempt to make things like Boy Scouts co-ed, but if a boy tries to join a girls-only thing like Girl Guides, he's refused?

I can see your point. There is a certain degree of hypocrisy in this situation.
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
What's the point of this episode when as the show goes on, Marcia is happy to use both femininity and romantic appeal to manipulate people?

It also brings up a real-life point: why are girls allowed to attempt to make things like Boy Scouts co-ed, but if a boy tries to join a girls-only thing like Girl Guides, he's refused?
It might be because women were barred from many things while boys are not. Everyone should be ALLOWED TO ATTEMPT whatever they want. Doesn't mean they will get it. If you research it, it sounds like now the girl scouts are afraid of the girls going over to the boy scouts. They will lose members and money.

I would have made a better boy scout than girl scout.
__________________
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Babalu
Member
Senior Member
 
Babalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 22, 2014
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
It also brings up a real-life point: why are girls allowed to attempt to make things like Boy Scouts co-ed, but if a boy tries to join a girls-only thing like Girl Guides, he's refused?

Because liberals run the media and their agenda is that the politically correct (non-whites, women, gays, etc.) are supposed to be given every advantage they have not earned because if they have not earned it they must have been discriminated against. And the only thing people see in the media is what the media wants them to see. If a woman can't pass a physical test for the military, police or fire department the test must be unfair, not that women are just too weak to qualify. That's why the liberal media is and should be scorned.
__________________
.








I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
Because liberals run the media and their agenda is that the politically correct (non-whites, women, gays, etc.) are supposed to be given every advantage they have not earned because if they have not earned it they must have been discriminated against. And the only thing people see in the media is what the media wants them to see. If a woman can't pass a physical test for the military, police or fire department the test must be unfair, not that women are just too weak to qualify. That's why the liberal media is and should be scorned.
and what advantage has a 10-year-old boy earned? Someone sounds scared of their good ole white boy club coming to an end.
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
visaman666
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Posts: 744
Default

It has only been a few years since the Scouting organization has allowed homosexual boys to join. If a boy wanted to join the Girl Scouts, that would activate their "gaydar."
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
visaman666
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Posts: 744
Default

The Beverley Hillbillies had an extended arc of "Women's Lib" episodes. It was the hot button topic of the era. That's what lead the series to be cancelled, along with The Brady Bunch.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
The Beverley Hillbillies had an extended arc of "Women's Lib" episodes. It was the hot button topic of the era. That's what lead the series to be cancelled, along with The Brady Bunch.

What does "Women's Lib" episodes have to do with the series being canceled?
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Babalu
Member
Senior Member
 
Babalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 22, 2014
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeryanker
and what advantage has a 10-year-old boy earned? Someone sounds scared of their good ole white boy club coming to an end.

And there ladies and gentlemen, is the ignorant liberal point of view.

No referee put white men in charge of the world at the beginning of time. If they have an inordinate amount of power in the world it is because they have earned it. You either have true equal opportunity or you don't. This women can join a men's club but men can't join a women's club or woman have to be admitted to all phases of the military but don't have to pass the same test because they can't is bull****.
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
And there ladies and gentlemen, is the ignorant liberal point of view.

No referee put white men in charge of the world at the beginning of time. If they have an inordinate amount of power in the world it is because they have earned it. You either have true equal opportunity or you don't. This women can join a men's club but men can't join a women's club or woman have to be admitted to all phases of the military but don't have to pass the same test because they can't is bull****.
You are saying that a 10- year old should an advantage if they are white? We can all see that you got busted on your bull****. There is no reason for a 10-year-old to have an advantage because he is white he has not earned anything. Your racism is showing.
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

Jered Wasburn-Moses, Scoutmaster, former Webelos den leader, lifelong Scouter
Answered Apr 11, 2017 ∑ Upvoted by Derek Lewis, Life Scout for the Boy Scouts of America at Boy Scouts of America
“What would happen if I tried to join Girl Scouts?”

The Girl Scouts, like the Boy Scouts, is a private organization.

The Girl Scouts, like the Boy Scouts, has the right to set its own membership rules.

The Girl Scouts, like the Boy Scouts, has elected to remain a single-gendered organization (on the youth side—both permit adult leaders of any gender).

So, just like a girl trying to join the Boy Scouts, you would be declined membership in the Girl Scouts.

(Incidentally, the reason that girls want into Boy Scouts, and not so much the other way around, is—at least in large part—that there is a distinctive honor and prestige that accompanies the rank of Eagle Scout that is incomparable anywhere else in Scouting. I would be curious why you would want to join Girl Scouts, other than to be a troublemaker—a very un-Scout-like motive.)


Jonathan Lyons
Apr 14, 2017
The GSA Gold Scout is roughly equivalent to the rank of Eagle. Unfortunately, the image of a Gold Scout is more associated with thin mints than the hard work required to reach the rank.

As mentioned, Eagle has immediate recognition but palms are unknown outside of the BSA. That's too bad in a world of “Eagling out” an Eagle with palms stands out as the exception among exceptions.

As mentioned, Boy Scouts stand out as a single gender program but it exists in a context of more inclusive programs like Ventures, Sea Scouts, Varsity Scouts and now Stem Scouts.

In my opinion, the young women of Venture crews are every ounce the scout that their male peers are. They also make kick butt guides in NYLT. I completed my Trainers EDGE with a group of Ventures and it was a wonderful experience.
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
TV Guy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2001
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 2,478
Default

I think itís an admirable episode that shows that the issue of gender equality was even affecting relatively conservative families (Iím saying they were culturally - not necessarily politically - conservative) like the Bradys. Mike makes light of Marciaís activism to his wife, but then finds out that Carol also supports the cause. Itís a nice, gentle episode that shows how times were changing.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
I think itís an admirable episode that shows that the issue of gender equality was even affecting relatively conservative families (Iím saying they were culturally - not necessarily politically - conservative) like the Bradys. Mike makes light of Marciaís activism to his wife, but then finds out that Carol also supports the cause. Itís a nice, gentle episode that shows how times were changing.
Also, the show is about children and there are not too many places that you could show gender equality dealing with kids.
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 258
Default

I bet the real reason the Boy Scouts are changing their rules (no, nobody is forcing them too) is money, not just equality. Once the Boy Scouts opened scouting to gays, they lost the Mormons. Mormons were 20% of the scouts. Now they know the Mormons have backed up their claim. That is a lot of stable money to lose. The vast majority of girls are not going to flock to the Boy Scouts.
https://religionnews.com/2017/10/17/...ferent-trails/
Tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.