Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TCA Summer 2017 Press Tour: Cable Day 2 - HBO
TCA Summer 2017 Press Tour: Cable Day 1 - Comedy Central and Nat Geo
ABC Fall 2017 Premiere Dates; WE tv Celebrates Will & Grace Return with Stunt
Syfy Acquires Comedic Web Series with Nathan Fillion & Alan Tudyk; Archer Season 9 on FXX in 2018
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 24, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Dick Van Dyke to Receive BAFTA Award; Hulu to Add 3000 Episodes to Library
Hulu's Fall 2017 Slate Includes Final Season of The Mindy Project and New Season of Freakish
Hulu Gets 3,000 Episodes from 20th Century Fox; Netflix Comedy Atypical Launches Aug. 11

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

ALF - The Complete DVD Collection The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series Superstore - Season Two Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season

05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
06/13 - The Andy Griffith Show - Return to Mayberry
06/13 - That's My Mama - The Complete Series
06/20 - Workaholics - The Final (Seventh) Season
06/20 - Workaholics - The Complete Series
06/27 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Third Season
07/04 - Superstore - Season Two
07/18 - Father Knows Best - Season Six
07/25 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season
07/25 - Girls - The Final (Sixth) Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default The Golden Girls Proved Its Fearlessness Yet Again When It Tackled the AIDS Epidemic

http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/the-g...k-excerpt.html

Quote:
When The Golden Girls debuted earlier this week on Hulu, scores of fans — most of us no doubt wearied by the constant worrying news out of Washington — turned to the streaming service in search of some comforting, familiar slut jokes and St. Olaf stories.

Even after having studied the show for a decade while writing my book, Golden Girls Forever, I still couldn’t resist some fresh viewings, as well. And once I tuned in, I was reminded of one of the things that had first made me want to invest so much time in heralding these four ladies from Miami; they were brilliantly, and sometimes even eerily, ahead of their time.

The Girls consistently tackled taboo subjects and found a way to make them funny. How the show accomplished the humor is now obvious; The Golden Girls was created by the legendary Susan Harris, and spawned the writing careers of so many of today’s TV comedy giants, including Desperate Housewives’ Marc Cherry, Arrested Development’s Mitchell Hurwitz and Modern Family’s Christopher Lloyd. But why did the show take somewhat of a risk in talking about sensitive topics?

The answer, as I learned from these writers and producers and three of the show’s brilliant stars, Bea Arthur, Betty White, and Rue McClanahan, was that the Girls were beloved not just for the barbs they’d trade, the outfits they’d work or the cheesecakes they’d share. These were four strong women who had lived through both the toughest and most rewarding parts of anyone’s life: having babies, struggling to stay afloat, losing husbands. Along the way, they’d gained not just wisdom, but also license with a TV audience to deliver shocking truths that a 30-something character couldn’t get away with saying on any other sitcom. And so, perhaps even a little bit selfishly, the Golden Girls writers realized early on that their show could have certain subject areas all to themselves.

In 22-minute increments over the course of seven seasons, the Girls raised issues of sexism and age discrimination as they faced off with chauvinistic plumbers, skeptical bosses and doubting doctors. They highlighted the plight of the homeless, and of elders like Sophia’s friend Lillian, receiving substandard and underfunded nursing-home care. They received their LGBT friends and relatives with open arms … well eventually, in the case of Blanche and her baby brother Clayton. When Sophia’s friend Martha wanted to end her life, they agonized over euthanasia; as Dorothy’s prized pupil faced deportation, they raised issues about our policies on immigration. And when Rose received a letter saying that she might have been exposed to the HIV virus, The Golden Girls capitalized on its political license once again, becoming one of the first sitcoms to mention HIV and AIDS at all, and further to suggest that the epidemic was a problem for everyone, not just the gay community.

In the Golden Girls Forever excerpt below, about the fifth-season episode “72 Hours,” writers Tracy Gamble and Richard Vaczy, stars Betty White and Rue McClanahan, and other members of the show’s crew talk about the making of the historic episode — one of the first, following an episode of CBS’ Designing Women, to bring humanity to the AIDS epidemic, and to bring that crisis to our attention in our living rooms.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

TV is about getting enough eyeballs pointed toward the screen to make a profit and get renewed. Again, there's simply no evidence that the people who make TV have social insights that are of any more interest than the insights of the next 50 random people you might run across.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Babalu

If they would have promoted a cause that wasn't on the liberal agenda, that would have been fearless. Otherwise it's just the usual Hollywood left-wing propaganda.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 02-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

The Golden Girls' AIDS episode was an example of "special episode" syndrome. The Designing Women episode was more fearless because in the end Kendall Dobbs (Tony Goldwyn) was still dying of AIDS. He didn't get a phone call or a letter letting him off the hook. I like The Golden Girls, but I don't think people should retroactively build it up to be some beacon of social justice to fit their own agendas.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
schmave
Frequent Poster

I never took those episodes to mean that the Golden Girls were uber-liberals, although at least Bea Arthur certainly was one. Those were absolutely situations that could happen to anyone, and if nothing else, if the way the stories were portrayed were even halfway accurate, they could help the viewer figure out what to do in the event that ever happened to them.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
#bestpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave
I never took those episodes to mean that the Golden Girls were uber-liberals, although at least Bea Arthur certainly was one. Those were absolutely situations that could happen to anyone, and if nothing else, if the way the stories were portrayed were even halfway accurate, they could help the viewer figure out what to do in the event that ever happened to them.

I agree, though some people on here try to find a way to turn almost everything into a negative political post about views they don't agree with. It must be really depressing to have such a dark view on virtually everything.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

I agree with both of you, schmave and Huntington.

Portraying gay people as deserving respect regardless of whether you agree with their lifestyle; educating yourself on what HIV actually is; agonizing over how to deal with a friend who is contemplating suicide; encouraging a woman to stand up for herself when she's obviously being discriminated against in the workplace. To me, these episodes just reflect being good, decent human beings. Not necessarily being "uber-liberal."

And although I happen to be a Christian myself, I liked how they frequently revealed Sophia as the colossal hypocrite she was. Telling others that one little lie will "send you straight to Hell" all the while stealing on a regular basis, lying to her daughter on a regular basis, burning Rose's mouth with hot food because she enjoyed inflicting pain on people, sleeping with men while berating her daughter for doing the same, and making countless mean remarks to the people she lived with. This is why in real life, Sophia Petrillo would NOT be a friend of mine.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
king of comedy

Good for them!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgrape
The Golden Girls' AIDS episode was an example of "special episode" syndrome. The Designing Women episode was more fearless because in the end Kendall Dobbs (Tony Goldwyn) was still dying of AIDS. He didn't get a phone call or a letter letting him off the hook. I like The Golden Girls, but I don't think people should retroactively build it up to be some beacon of social justice to fit their own agendas.

Top 10 shows I want fully released on DVD: Alice, Amen, Archie Bunker's Place, The Beverly Hillbillies, Empty Nest, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, One Day at a Time, Perfect Strangers, Petticoat Junction, & Step by Step
Old 02-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Well you can "yeah that" all you want, tlc.

But the fact is, there's nothing "retroactive" about people noticing social awareness in some of the Golden Girls episodes. They have no "agendas."

It was intentional then, it was purposeful then, and those messages still ring true today. That's all we mean. And why would discussing these issues during an episode be any more "fearless" just because one character died from AIDS, and another just had a scare?