Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery


227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227
User Name
Password


Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
GSU2004
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 651
Default What was the point of Alexandria?

I was watching the holiday episode marathon on TVOne and saw some of the 227 episodes with Alexandria. What was the point of adding her to the show? She disappeared with no explanation in the fifth season. I would have much rather see more dialogue developed between Regina King and Kia Goodwin's characters. Maybe give Calvin a reoccuring friend that she would have liked or something. What does everyone else think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
KristinHerreraFan
Senior Member
Dana is Buena
 
KristinHerreraFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,781
Default

Alexandria was in some program where she lived with the Jenkins' for one year, thats why she was only in season 4.
__________________
Signed,
>>>>Kristin Herrera Fan
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Brieannas21
Senior Member
Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I was watching the holiday episode marathon on TVOne and saw some of the 227 episodes with Alexandria. What was the point of adding her to the show? She disappeared with no explanation in the fifth season. I would have much rather see more dialogue developed between Regina King and Kia Goodwin's characters. Maybe give Calvin a reoccuring friend that she would have liked or something. What does everyone else think?


I agree, out of all of the tv shows that added little kids to the cast to boost the ratings. I think Alexandria was the only kid I didn't like at all. Her character wasn't needed at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
GSU2004
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinHerreraFan
Alexandria was in some program where she lived with the Jenkins' for one year, thats why she was only in season 4.

I don't think the audience was that receptive to her as she disappeared so quickly. The same thing happened to the kid that moved in with the Bundy's on Married with Children for a half season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
GSU2004
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
I agree, out of all of the tv shows that added little kids to the cast to boost the ratings. I think Alexandria was the only kid I didn't like at all. Her character wasn't needed at all.

True and that is a jump the shark moment for them also. At least the producers of Married with Children were smart enough to ditch the kid in the middle of the season rather than letting the audience suffer. I have seen few shows last a season or two longer after the introduction of new kids either through pregnancy or being ditched by some relative.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
TALLguyinKY
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 1,433
Default

I loved 227, but Alexandria annoyed me so much (and we're the same age, so I was 10 watching her on the show when she was 10). Thank goodness she was only on for one season...I guess seasons 1-3 are to me the "classic years"---now if only we could get those on DVD!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
GSU2004
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLguyinKY
I loved 227, but Alexandria annoyed me so much (and we're the same age, so I was 10 watching her on the show when she was 10). Thank goodness she was only on for one season...I guess seasons 1-3 are to me the "classic years"---now if only we could get those on DVD!

I always had resentment towards Alexandria because they eliminated Tiffany with no explanation earlier in the show. I always hate when they make kids either too brainiac or too annoying. Or in Alexandria's case, both! How did they get rid of her? Did they do her like Tiffany? lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Guy Incognito
Frequent Poster
International Man of Misery
 
Guy Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 30, 2011
Location: The Solar System
Posts: 79
Default

Well, the behind-the-scenes explanation is that Countess Vaughn was a contestant on Star Search and mentioned that 227 was her favorite show, and I guess someone from the program was watching and decided that adding a "cute kid" to the ensemble might boost ratings. Obviously, it didn't work out and worse, she was never allowed to sing (which was her true talent) or do anything even remotely interesting outside of a hilarious Jackée impersonation (and, after watching the Life After... specials on both women, I'm guessing Ms. Harry quickly put a stop to THAT).

Things definitely went downhill fast after Season Two, as there was just one misstep after another....
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
ThomasE
Moderator
Forum Veteran
Member
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 10,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
Well, the behind-the-scenes explanation is that Countess Vaughn was a contestant on Star Search and mentioned that 227 was her favorite show, and I guess someone from the program was watching and decided that adding a "cute kid" to the ensemble might boost ratings. Obviously, it didn't work out and worse, she was never allowed to sing (which was her true talent) or do anything even remotely interesting outside of a hilarious Jackée impersonation (and, after watching the Life After... specials on both women, I'm guessing Ms. Harry quickly put a stop to THAT).

Things definitely went downhill fast after Season Two, as there was just one misstep after another....

I actually think things got better after season two. Seasons three through five are my favorite seasons. I liked Alexandria. I was 10 when she debuted as well. I thought she was annoying but still liked her. She was a kid who accomplished something I wanted to do and that was be on TV. LOL. I had no problem with her being on the show.
__________________
Happy 35th Anniversary to "You Can't Do That On Television!" !Viva este programa! (1979-1990) Happy 10,000 posts to me
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 82,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
I actually think things got better after season two. Seasons three through five are my favorite seasons. I liked Alexandria. I was 10 when she debuted as well. I thought she was annoying but still liked her. She was a kid who accomplished something I wanted to do and that was be on TV. LOL. I had no problem with her being on the show.


Only if someone mentions it, you would never know that Alexandria is Kim from the Parkers-lol She looked completely different
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
ThomasE
Moderator
Forum Veteran
Member
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 10,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Only if someone mentions it, you would never know that Alexandria is Kim from the Parkers-lol She looked completely different


Nah. I could tell it was her. LOL. However, they are two different characters. I can see how you would think that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 82,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Nah. I could tell it was her. LOL. However, they are two different characters. I can see how you would think that.


Her face just didn't look the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
GARFIELDKOOL
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 02, 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7,085
Default

I am watching the series in order, and I don't see the point of her either. Why did the writers decide to bring in an 11 year old college girl who doesn't like normal kids stuff? She would have been better accepted if they explained that she was a relative of the Jenkins and was just a normal kid. They went and created something so unrealistic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
GARFIELDKOOL
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 02, 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I was watching the holiday episode marathon on TVOne and saw some of the 227 episodes with Alexandria. What was the point of adding her to the show? She disappeared with no explanation in the fifth season. I would have much rather see more dialogue developed between Regina King and Kia Goodwin's characters. Maybe give Calvin a reoccuring friend that she would have liked or something. What does everyone else think?


Just watched an episode and they did explain Alexandria's exit. The jenkins received a letter from her father, and he wanted her to live with him in London. mary and lester said they were going to miss her, so that explained her exit.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.