Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #31
NCRavensFan86
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
When CBS decided to move Murder, She Wrote from its cushy Sunday night timeslot to Thursdays opposite Friends. At the time CBS was trying to shed its image of being the old people network and those shows that were a hit with older viewers they no longer wanted. It worked, and the show was gone soon after the move.
CBS did the same thing with Rescue 911 in moving it to Thursday Nights at 9 PM from it's Tuesday Night 8 PM home for 6 Seasons. Rescue 911 was a TOP 30 Show from Season 2 thru 5 (1990-1994). The ratings did drop from #29th place in 1993-1994 to #48th place the next season (according to Wikipedia).

For the 1994-1995 TV Season, NBC had started a successful Sitcom Block led by "Wings" and "Newsradio." This unfortunately hurt 911's ratings. From 1991-1994, 911 and ABC's Full House dominated the Tuesday 8 PM timeslot in terms of ratings and NBC was throwing pasta at the wall trying to see what stick.

Back to 911, putting the show up against NBC's Must See TV was wrong. However, even worse than that was taking a 8 PM Family Show and putting it in a Foreign 9 PM timeslot. Also, debuting as a midseason show (Feb '96) hurt too.

Finishing #48 in the ratings was still okay for TV standards, could the show have stayed at 8 PM Tuesday Night for the 1995-1996 Season? I doubt it, with ABC and NBC both hoarding ratings success with their sitcom blocks, but a slight move to Wednesday at 8 PM would have been GREAT! The only successful shows on Wednesday Nights were ABC's Ellen and The Drew Carey Show and both had finished with a ratings rank in the 40's, very similar to what Rescue 911 in it's final season at 8 PM Tuesday Night.

By the way, Rescue 911 finished it's final season in August 1996 with a dreadful #84th place in the ratings. Thank You CBS!
NCRavensFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #32
NCRavensFan86
Frequent Poster

I can think of two gameshows from the year 2000 that were canceled due to an idiot mistake. Plus, another from 1998.

NBC's Twenty One was a modest hit for the network at a time when NBC was starting to decline in the ratings and CBS was rising to the top. The show had finished between a respectable 30-50th place in the ratings over a 4 month period in 2000 and yet that wasn't enough to renew the show for the 2000-2001 season.

FOX's Greed had settled in to a decent Friday night timeslot by the spring of 2000. While the ratings were nowhere near as good as NBC's Twenty One, Greed was one of the FOX network's better rated shows. "After renewing the show for the summer of 2000 with a possible return for the following season, FOX abruptly canceled the program on July 14th, 2000." (Taken word for word from Wikipedia page)

Lifetime Network's "Debt" was the channel's highest rated show from 1996 to 1998 and it even won a Cable Ace Award for best gameshow. Yet after 2 Seasons Lifetime decided to cancel Debt because research had shown that more men than women (the channel's target audience) were watching the show. This was an incredibly dumb decision considering a lot of men including myself had been watching Unsolved Mysteries reruns on Lifetime since that channel acquired the show in 1992.
NCRavensFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #33
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
The Wb cancelled the shows until its shutdown in 2006:

Popular

Last year, Ryan Murphy spoke about Popular and The WB saying they were homophobic. He said the reason Popular changed so dramatically in its second season is because The WB forced him to. It sucks because out of all of Ryan's shows, Popular is the best one. It has the best cast, characters, and stories. It's a lot better than Glee, which is basically Popular with singing. It sucks The WB ruined a great show.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #34
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Daytime Soaps in recent years were cancelled due to dumb moves by the networks.

First up, NBC's "Another World" was a massive success, an institution really, but somewhere along the lines NBC decided to tinker with it and made a lot of creative changes (in the early 90's) that drove fans away. Then they decided to kill off characters people LOVED (Frankie Frame!) and eventually it got cancelled in favor of dumb shows like Passions and Sunset Beach that never got a fraction of the audience AW had.

More recently, CBS cancelled Guiding Light and As The World Turns, for no reason other than sheer stupidity. GL has a big success, continued getting decent ratings (for a soap) and then they went and changed the production model (how the show is produced); changing it from a traditional soap with sets to a show filmed outside and on-location. Fans hated the new look, the new writing was a flop and the cast hated it too. It took too long, it was boring and ratings dropped massively because of this. The show was cancelled.

ATWT was still going strong in the ratings and with critics. CBS had no reason to cancel it.

ABC made the bonehead choice to cancel One Life To Live and All My Children, after spending nearly a decade trying to destroy them with bad creative decisions, slashing the budgets and giving these shows almost no promotion at all.
I've sworn off NBC ever since they canceled "Another World," "Sale of the Century," "Santa Barbara," and "Sunset Beach."
danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #35
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
Mama's Family: Technically, it wasn't really canceled, it was just decided that they had enough episodes to be sold into syndication. This was just a dumb move. We could've/shoud've gotten at least one more season to see more of baby Tiffany Thelma.

I agree, honestly, Mama should have paid for Vint and Naomi's trailer to be fixed so they would save up for their spot at the trailer park. And finally she would have them out of their hair with the exception of frequent visits to the house. Now that is a show I would love to see be rebooted. But I am afraid it's impossible due to the old age of characters.

I'll also agree with other posters about the soap genre. I'm a huge fan of Days of our Lives and I hope it doesn't get canceled (at least for another 5 or so years). I was also somewhat of an All My Children fan. I miss AMC being on ABC.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #36
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

The Wonder Years and the sexual harrassment debacle.

Doogie Howser MD-idiot mistake was ABC decided to cancel it! Steven Bochco had a plan for Doogie to retire from medicine and become a writer but ABC canned the series before he could finish it off.

The Jeffersons-CBS abruptly cancelled it without letting the cast and crew know. In fact, Sherman Hemsley had to find out via the newspaper.
Jamey Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #37
factsoflife

When ABC moved "Samantha Who" from its post-Dancing With The Stars timeslot and along w/Ugly Betty put it on Thursday nights. Its ratings fell as it wasn't yet a proven series.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #38
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Match Game 1990-noon death slot and canned to expand the home show

Harper Valley PTA-when Sherwood and. Lloyd Schwartz were forced out as showrunners
Jamey Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #39
KentB3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
The same thing happened to Ryan's Hope in 1989, which was moved to the noon death slot to make way for Loving.
KentB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #40
KentB3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
The same thing happened to Ryan's Hope in 1989, which was moved to the noon death slot to make way for Loving.
KentB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #41
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
ABC Execs made a lot of bad programming decisions during the 1979-80 season, basically ruining just about all of their hit shows.
The worst decision was to spin the Ropers off in the first place, IMO.

Norman Fell didn't want to do it and in retrospect, he was right.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #42
Impressions
She died the way she lived

How about the "rural purge" of the 1971? Several iconic shows that proved to be popular in syndication got cancelled that year including The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Mister Ed, Lassie, Petticoat Junction, and Hee Haw. Apparently they were too old and rural skewing, and there was trend in the early '70s to appeal to young urban people. Fred Silverman is responsible for this. I personally liked Green Acres and Petticoat Junction and I think it was a mistake to cancel them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
The worst decision was to spin the Ropers off in the first place, IMO.

Norman Fell didn't want to do it and in retrospect, he was right.
Agree. I watch The Ropers on Antenna TV, and that show and Three's A Crowd is seriously lacking in quality. Neither of the spin-offs should have happened.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #43
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions
How about the "rural purge" of the 1971? Several iconic shows that proved to be popular in syndication got cancelled that year including The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Mister Ed, Lassie, Petticoat Junction, and Hee Haw. Apparently they were too old and rural skewing, and there was trend in the early '70s to appeal to young urban people. Fred Silverman is responsible for this. I personally liked Green Acres and Petticoat Junction and I think it was a mistake to cancel them

Agree. I watch The Ropers on Antenna TV, and that show and Three's A Crowd is seriously lacking in quality. Neither of the spin-offs should have happened.
The Ropers leaving Three's Company was the beginning of the end for me. Stanley Roper was replaced by the annoying Ralph Furley and the following season, Suzanne Somers would depart. The show was never the same after the third season.
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #44
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Canceling Hee Haw and other rural based shows for more hip urban programming which ironically HH outlasted.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #45
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens
Canceling Hee Haw and other rural based shows for more hip urban programming which ironically HH outlasted.
Had I been running the network, I would not have cancelled Hee Haw.

I simply wouldn't have put on any new rural shows from that point onward.
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote