Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Small Wonder links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Small Wonder Photo Gallery

Small Wonder - The Complete First Season

Buy Small Wonder - The Complete First Season on DVD
Small Wonder - The Complete Second Season

Buy Small Wonder - The Complete Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Small Wonder

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: One Day at a Time Is As Charming As Ever in Its 3rd Season; Bounce Acquires Moesha and The Game
HGTV Looking for Brady Fans for A Very Brady Renovation; truTV Sets Date for Tacoma FD Comedy
TBS Gets Nasim Pedrad Comedy; Lucy Liu to Star in Marc Cherry Dark Comedy on CBS All Access
Antenna TV Hears Wedding Bells on Valentine's Day; Comedy Central Gets David Spade Late Night Talk Show
Hallmark Channel Highlights at TCA Winter 2019 Press Tour; HBO's New Comedy Los Espookys and Final Season of Veep
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Pair of Comedy Pilots; NBC Cancels Hair Musical
Fri-Yay: Modern Family Announces Next Season Will Be Its Last; The Kominsky Method Gets Three Veterans for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Third Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season The Game - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season

01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 1 - Volumes 1-5
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 2 - Volumes 6-10
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 3 - Seasons 10-14
02/05 - First Lady of Television - Betty White Collection (40 rare and acclaimed episodes from her early days in television)
02/05 - Mama's Family - Seasons 1-6 - The Complete Series
02/12 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
02/12 - Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season
02/26 - What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thumbs down 'Small Wonder' Could Never Be Redone For TV or Movies

As a kid growing up, I really got a kick out of this show. It was TGIF before ABC had TGIF. The thing is, its basically a show that can't be remade. Sure, never say never in Hollywood, but the concept of a grown man making a 10 year old female robot, just wouldn't sit well with today's PC crowd.
Attached Images

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Very true. I watched this show when it was on the first time (I was about 6 when it debuted). I think it was syndicated, and not a network show. In the Cleveland market, they aired the show on our local CBS (now FOX) affiliate early on Saturday evenings. Those were the days!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Small_Wonder_Lover
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
As a kid growing up, I really got a kick out of this show. It was TGIF before ABC had TGIF. The thing is, its basically a show that can't be remade. Sure, never say never in Hollywood, but the concept of a grown man making a 10 year old female robot, just wouldn't sit well with today's PC crowd.
To quote Harriet's mom, Bonnie Brindle, "No na na no no no!"
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

Well for starters if they remade this show today the mother would probably be the one building the robot! And they could make the robot a boy if that would work better. The point is if they wanted to remake this they would find a way.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
It may work on cable such as Nickelodeon or Disney. I wouldn't see this lasting that long on network television. Remember it was canceled when Fox was being created as they felt it was 'too kiddy and too cutsey' for their brand. This was it was alleged that the show was going to be added to the Fox lineup.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Very true. I watched this show when it was on the first time (I was about 6 when it debuted). I think it was syndicated, and not a network show. In the Cleveland market, they aired the show on our local CBS (now FOX) affiliate early on Saturday evenings. Those were the days!!!
It used to air on Saturdays here in Atlanta as well. It was right before Whats Happening Now. Saturday night television started at 7pm for me, at 8pm it was off to NBC for 227, Amen, Golden Girls and Empty Nest.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default If you could cast the Remake....

http://www.fembotcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11488

Quote:
Hello ASFRNation,

I had this chat with a good friend of mine about remaking a few shows from the past that featured an android or gynoid in them, and it is interesting to think how we viewed the casting of the characters. I figured I would throw it out to you all and see your thoughts on who YOU would cast as the character/characters. So here is the small list that we began to discuss with the characters:

"The Lost Saucer" - Fi and Fum
"Get Smart" - Octavia from the "It Takes One to Know One" episode (We know Hymie made an appearance in the "Get Smart movie with Steve Carrel)
"Small Wonder" - Vicky (Perhaps an older version in her 20's, but still living with her parents and brother)
"Andromeda" - Rommie and Dolye (Kinda hard to figure this one)

Now here is where our argument came from...I'l take the first show listed. I looked at the show for it's comedy and both Ruth Buzzi and Jim Neighbors brought that to the show, even playing androids. I thought to myself in casting a remake to look in that view, so my choice for Fi was Joan Cusak and for Fum possibly Will Ferrel (not completely sold on him yet, but it had some merit). My friends choice for Fi was Katy Perry (which I could see because she can be comical at times, but I think she went with the sexy looking route with her choice), but she had a difficult time thinking of someone to play Fum.

So I'll open it up for you out there to see if you would make a great "Casting Director" for a television network . So here was my other thoughts for the small list that we had began discussing:

As Octavia....Sorry, but I will have to go with our own Diana Knight for the role. She has the Octavia look for me, and my friend agreed with that as well (Congrats Diana ).

As Vicky....I am torn between Brooke Lyons from "2 Broke Girls" or Aarti Mann from "The Big Bang Theory". Again cute but understands comedy.

Now as for Rommie and Doyle....It's hard since Lexa Dogg and Brandy Ledford made the roles, so here I have to go sexy and an action type of actress...so for Rommie I would cast Gemma Arterton (now this is funny) from the 'remake' of "Clash of the Titans" and "Hansel and Gretel", and for Doyle I would probably pick Evan Rachel Wood (who sorta favors Brandy Ledford) from the movie "The Wrestler".

Okay...I'l open the floor for your ideas. Also if you can think of another show or movie that featured a sexy gynoid that you would remake, add it to the discussion and let us know who you would cast.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
tlc38tlc38
Dolly Dolly Dolly
Forum Veteran

"small Wonder" was classic cheese at its best (which I love!!!) and a remake would be horrible. They would never be able to top the original. I wish Shout! would release seasons 3 & 4 on DVD.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Mace Dolex

Yeah I loved this show, it use to air here in Bakersfield, CA on Saturdays alongside the Too Close For Comfort spin-off The Ted Knight Show.

I had such a crush on the mom Marla Pennington, man she was so 'effin hot.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
KurtfromPitts

It aired Saturdays in Pittsburgh on WTAE-4. If stations were still running different shows on different nights at 7:30 in 1985 I'd have loved to see SW Tuesdays as a lead-in to the Who's The Boss-Growing Pains tandem.
KurtfromPitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:59 AM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Considering the "high concept" stuff that Disney Channel/Disney XD has put out in recent years, a show like Small Wonder may in hindsight, have been a bit "ahead of its time".
Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
damin mance
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to damin mance Send a message via Yahoo to damin mance

I love this show im so glad im getting it on DVD
damin mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
billybatts
Frequent Poster

There is a show on Disney, K.C. Undercover, They are a family of spies and have a young robot daughter.

The robot is not the star of the show and the actress is not very good at playing a robot.
I didn't know she was one until they said it out loud.
billybatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybatts View Post
There is a show on Disney, K.C. Undercover, They are a family of spies and have a young robot daughter.

The robot is not the star of the show and the actress is not very good at playing a robot.
I didn't know she was one until they said it out loud.
Nickelodeon has this show called I Am Frankie, which is pretty much the closest thing we may have to a modern day version of Small Wonder.

I think that if a proper remake of Small Wonder were to be made, heavy alterations would have to be made in order to make the premise decidedly less skeevy.