Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
Madame X

The moment Dorothy walked out the door after getting married on the GG, I felt the chemistry change.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I'm sorry guys but the show was very good IMO. The writing was great, the actors were terrific too. I had no issue. I did miss Bea though. I cracked up at many jokes on that show and the elements were still there. However, the show switched networks, switched nights and maybe people got accustomed to the original format but I loved the new format and tuned in on Friday nights to watch. I would either watch Family Matters on TGIF or Golden Palace.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Don Cheadle was a cutie on this show.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #19
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....... Golden Palace was a good show, and should have been given a longer chance to gain an audience.

People are inherently resistant to change. So I'm sure many people moaned about Dorothy not being there anymore, and refused to watch. (childish much?)

Yes, I would have preferred all four remain in the show. But it was not to be. Given what they had to work with, (five great stars, when you include Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin) I thought they did a great, imaginative job of creating the spinoff. I certainly would have watched it as long as I could.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
king of comedy

At least any chance it will come to DVD?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #21
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I read in either Rue's autobiography or Leah Remini's (can't remember which) that there is a criteria for whether a TV show will go into syndication, and ultimately be released on DVD. I think there has to be a certain number of episodes, which is almost always more than one season's worth.

Sadly, I'm almost sure that Golden Palace doesn't qualify, since there was only one season that consisted of less than 25 episodes.

King of Comedy: If you're really motivated, you can purchase a copy of the entire series from a company I got mine from about three years ago. They just recorded it from a TV (on VCR, I assume) and transferred it to DVD for commercial sale. Not very fancy and it is very expensive, but at least your Golden Girls collection will be complete. Here's the link:

http://classicdvdworld.com/search.as...x=0&search.y=0
Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #22
Movie12
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....... Golden Palace was a good show, and should have been given a longer chance to gain an audience.

People are inherently resistant to change. So I'm sure many people moaned about Dorothy not being there anymore, and refused to watch. (childish much?)

Yes, I would have preferred all four remain in the show. But it was not to be. Given what they had to work with, (five great stars, when you include Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin) I thought they did a great, imaginative job of creating the spinoff. I certainly would have watched it as long as I could.

I thought The Golden Palace was a great show and it definitely deserved to be given more of a chance to come back for future seasons. I mean some shows don't do as well during their first season and in this case it deserved a second season. The show still had many more great laughs, more stories, and more cheesecake to eat. I thought the addition of the 3 new characters, Don Cheadle, Cheech Marin, and Billy L. Sullivan were great.

Some people seem to forget that Dorothy did play on 2 episodes and they were great!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
Movie12
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
At least any chance it will come to DVD?

We are so hoping that someday that Shout! Factory or some studio will officially release The Golden Palace on DVD. I don't consider The Golden Girls to be completed without The Golden Palace. The Golden Palace has a great fan base. If you are a member on tvshowsondvd.com you can go on the site and type in The Golden Palace in the search box, click on The Golden Palace link, and then put a check mark in the season set spot so the studio knows that you want it to be released on DVD in a season set. If you are not a member on tvshowsondvd.com then you can sign up and it's very easy.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #24
Movie12
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
I read in either Rue's autobiography or Leah Remini's (can't remember which) that there is a criteria for whether a TV show will go into syndication, and ultimately be released on DVD. I think there has to be a certain number of episodes, which is almost always more than one season's worth.

Sadly, I'm almost sure that Golden Palace doesn't qualify, since there was only one season that consisted of less than 25 episodes.

King of Comedy: If you're really motivated, you can purchase a copy of the entire series from a company I got mine from about three years ago. They just recorded it from a TV (on VCR, I assume) and transferred it to DVD for commercial sale. Not very fancy and it is very expensive, but at least your Golden Girls collection will be complete. Here's the link:

http://classicdvdworld.com/search.as...x=0&search.y=0

The Golden Palace did go into syndication so it should definitely qualify. It was on Lifetime in 2005 and 2006. I have heard somewhere that some 1 season shows did make it on DVD. The Golden Palace had 24 episodes which was the complete number of episodes in a full season during that time. Some shows now a days only air 13 episodes in a season which is a full season now a days. For example, the spin off of Full House which is called Fuller House had 13 episodes during their first season and it got a DVD release. There is definitely good hope for The Golden Palace to get released on DVD from Shout! Factory or some other studio. The Golden Palace has a great fan base. The show has many more laughs, great stories, and more cheesecake to eat.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"There is definitely good hope for The Golden Palace to get released on DVD from Shout! Factory or some other studio."

Fingers crossed that you're right, Movie12

Even though I have the "homemade" version from Classic DVD World, I'd buy it over again in a heartbeat, to have the more professionally done version.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #26
TMC
Forum Veteran

What I wonder is how The Golden Palace would have played out if they'd taken the 13 episode deal with NBC? Moving to CBS deprived them of the opportunity to cross over with Empty Nest or Nurses.