Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Comedy Central Acquires Animated Comedy Favorites; Shout! to Release Saved by the Bell Collection With Previously Unreleased Episodes
New Multicast Network Start TV Launches Sept. 3 with Female Dramas; Insatiable Premieres Aug. 10 with Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano
Showtime Gets Jillian Bell for Comedy; Rev Run Sitcom Preview
Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default Is This Normal?

For one, yes I am extremely out of shape. Depressed, anxious. It's very hard for me to find motivation to do anything a lot of the time, let alone exercise. But this past week, I've been trying to. I've tried in the past and it only lasted about a week...but this time I really want to keep at it. My psychiatrist told what I've always known: for anxious, depressed people like me both medicine and exercise helped boost endorphin activity. I know that. So I'm trying.

The problem is that whenever I exercise (and it's usually for no more than 20 minutes), I feel sick afterwards. Drained, headaches, nausea, weird feelings in my chest,shaky...and this is only going on an elliptical for 20 minutes or just doing crunches and jumping jacks for 20 minutes. I know I'm out of shape, but should I really be feeling this way after a work-out? Once, about a year ago, I worked out for about an hour (stupid, stupid idea for out of shape people) and was so sick afterward that I barely left bed the next day and missed all of my classes. It almost makes me afraid to work out period. I don't know if this is a factor, but my heart rate is a bit higher than most...but really not significantly. I'm just curious as to if this sounds bad, or just normal for out of shape people? I'm kind of getting a little freaked out. Thanks.
__________________
my name is ashlee


"I can feel it - the turn of the Earth,
the ground beneath our feet
spinning at a thousand miles an hour.
And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun
at 67,000 thousand miles an hour and I can feel it.
We're falling through space, you and me.
Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world
and if we let go..."

- The Doctor
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,231
Default

Ashlee, I suffer from anxiety/depression myself. I'm no doctor, but the symptoms you described sounds like a panic attack. Just to be on the safe side, I'd call the doctor, just to make sure the problem is not physical. If you need to talk to anyone, PM me - anytime!!
__________________
"Jesus loves you and He approves this message."

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Waterston_Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Waterston_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,168
Default

I'm thinking maybe you should start slowly. Like if you do jumping jacks, instead of doing 20, maybe do 10 or 5. Start slow and maybe stretch first then maybe start for five minutes and see how you feel.

That being said, I don't have any depression or anxiety problems so..
Waterston_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Ashlee, I suffer from anxiety/depression myself. I'm no doctor, but the symptoms you described sounds like a panic attack. Just to be on the safe side, I'd call the doctor, just to make sure the problem is not physical. If you need to talk to anyone, PM me - anytime!!
Hmm, I've never thought of that. I certainly have had my fair share of panic attacks, and I guess maybe it's similar to what I'm feeling now. It's just strange to me that exercise could make that happen...

Thanks, though.
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterston_Fan
I'm thinking maybe you should start slowly. Like if you do jumping jacks, instead of doing 20, maybe do 10 or 5. Start slow and maybe stretch first then maybe start for five minutes and see how you feel.

That being said, I don't have any depression or anxiety problems so..
Yeah, maybe even what I've been doing is too much for me. I really don't know. :/
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
catlover79
God Bless Val
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pleasant Tomorrow*
Hmm, I've never thought of that. I certainly have had my fair share of panic attacks, and I guess maybe it's similar to what I'm feeling now. It's just strange to me that exercise could make that happen...

Thanks, though.
My pleasure. Though I do agree with Waterston Fan that taking exercise slowly is a good idea, too. Feel free to talk anytime if you need to.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
My pleasure. Though I do agree with Waterston Fan that taking exercise slowly is a good idea, too. Feel free to talk anytime if you need to.
Thanks You guys are absolutely right. I had thought I WAS taking it slowly with only 20 minutes.
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Pusy Galore
In God's Arms Now
Forum Veteran
 
Pusy Galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 14, 2003
Location: Heartbreak Ridge
Posts: 12,040
Thumbs up

It's quite normal at first. You should be starting out only long enough to get your heart rate up (and they say it is supposed to be at least 20 minutes). Also, you SHOULD sweat. For me, believe it or not, that's the part I find so difficult. I HATE sweating. Anyway, it is normal to feel slightly lightheaded afterwards, and maybe even a slight headache, but it should go away in a short period. If it doesn't then you're over doing it. Cut back a bit but keep it up. It's consistency at this point that's so important for you.

Once you find that you can get through two workouts without feeling really sick afterwards (I know a lot of people, myself included who actually throw up), then increase it even only 2 or 3 minutes per day. Doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised. My ex did this and his was middle-aged, on high blood pressure meds, and super stressed, and it did takes months, but he's now in the best shape of his life (the #&*@%$)!!!!

Remember, it didn't take you weeks to get the way you are, so don't expect to get fit overnight either. The main thing is to STICK with it as you've said, and to continually, but safely push yourself.

Also, huge, HUGE to keeo hydrated. A lot of it could be you're not drinking enough water (or gatorade even) before, during and after your workout. Try working out about 2 hours after a light meal. That will give you more energy for your workout, without weighing you down heavily.

Hope this helps! And good luck! Kudos for your efforts.
__________________
If I don't see you in this world, I'll meet you in the next one.....don't be late

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile


The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Pusy Galore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
dakert
Member
Senior Member
 
dakert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2007
Location: altoona PA
Posts: 2,576
Default

Ashlee -- If you exercise with your favorite sit coms it might go better for you. Hard to believe I started way back in 1981
dakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
It's quite normal at first. You should be starting out only long enough to get your heart rate up (and they say it is supposed to be at least 20 minutes). Also, you SHOULD sweat. For me, believe it or not, that's the part I find so difficult. I HATE sweating. Anyway, it is normal to feel slightly lightheaded afterwards, and maybe even a slight headache, but it should go away in a short period. If it doesn't then you're over doing it. Cut back a bit but keep it up. It's consistency at this point that's so important for you.

Once you find that you can get through two workouts without feeling really sick afterwards (I know a lot of people, myself included who actually throw up), then increase it even only 2 or 3 minutes per day. Doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised. My ex did this and his was middle-aged, on high blood pressure meds, and super stressed, and it did takes months, but he's now in the best shape of his life (the #&*@%$)!!!!

Remember, it didn't take you weeks to get the way you are, so don't expect to get fit overnight either. The main thing is to STICK with it as you've said, and to continually, but safely push yourself.

Also, huge, HUGE to keeo hydrated. A lot of it could be you're not drinking enough water (or gatorade even) before, during and after your workout. Try working out about 2 hours after a light meal. That will give you more energy for your workout, without weighing you down heavily.

Hope this helps! And good luck! Kudos for your efforts.
Thanks for the advice, Cathie. That actually really helps a lot. I'll definitely keep everything you said in mind.
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakert
Ashlee -- If you exercise with your favorite sit coms it might go better for you. Hard to believe I started way back in 1981
lol that's actually not a bad idea
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
catlover79
God Bless Val
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pleasant Tomorrow*
lol that's actually not a bad idea
That's a GREAT idea.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
88keys
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 311
Default

Are you exercising on an empty stomach? I'm in pretty good shape, but sometimes I feel nauseated if I haven't eaten enough. You don't want to exercise on a FULL stomach, but eating a granola bar or a handful of walnuts beforehand can help. Or exercise 2-3 hours after a meal. Also, drink lots of water! You may be dehydrating yourself. Good luck!
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Member
Forum Legend
 
*Pleasant Tomorrow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 19, 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 69,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
Are you exercising on an empty stomach? I'm in pretty good shape, but sometimes I feel nauseated if I haven't eaten enough. You don't want to exercise on a FULL stomach, but eating a granola bar or a handful of walnuts beforehand can help. Or exercise 2-3 hours after a meal. Also, drink lots of water! You may be dehydrating yourself. Good luck!
Thanks for the input! No, I make sure that I'm not exercising on an empty stomach...but I guess possibly I'm not drinking enough water. I do try to both drink some while I'm working out and after, though.
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
LuLu Rogers
Colonel Brandon
Forum Veteran
 
LuLu Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 23, 2004
Location: The Hogwarts Dungeons
Posts: 11,000
Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakert
Ashlee -- If you exercise with your favorite sit coms it might go better for you. Hard to believe I started way back in 1981
I agree! I take my portable dvd player with me on the treadmill and put in one of my M*A*S*H dvds. One episode is about 25mins, so I get almost a 30 minute work out without even thinking about it. It really works for me
__________________
-Lauren-


"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape
LuLu Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.