Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Hogan Family Online / The Hogan Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Hogan Family Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Hogan Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-29-2001, 09:50 PM   #1
Ed Viveiros
Frequent Poster

Angry "Some of my Best Friends" is cancelled

As much as I hate to inform everyone of this, it's official. Jason Bateman's new CBS sitcom is cancelled. You can check it out at: http://members.aol.com/IJBall/WWW/ra...01.html#CANCEL

And all because Les Moonves has a thing against Paramount.

Poor Jason never stood a chance...

------------------
Edward Viveiros, Jr.
Ed Viveiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 10:11 PM   #2
Madness
I call it the rocket

Thumbs down

DAMN! Another good one down the tube! Does not surprise me though. We all knew from the beginning, a funny show on CBS never lasts. Looks like there's nothing, except My Wife and Kids on Wednesdays now. I guess we'll also never see Valerie as his mom which would've been cool. They could've had a Hogan reunion and the ratings would've went up. If they moved it to Mondays like Jason kept hinting at it'd still be around. There's too much competition at that slot on Wednesdays. In the past few years, every show on Wednesdays have been canceled. Here's a hint. Stop showing comedies on Wednesdays. It's that simple! Thanks for the news Ed.
Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 10:32 PM   #3
dannyyell
an art chick
Frequent Poster

Unhappy

<sigh.... starts to say something..... then sighs again>

POOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oy I feel better. ;-)

Lets just hope that at least the Hogans will be back on television soon.

Danielle
dannyyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 11:38 PM   #4
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

While I only watched a little bit of this show (and the only reason I would watch it is because I've always liked Jason Bateman in every show he's done), I gave this show about a 10% chance of being anything more than a 6 episode trial run series.

Would this show have had any chance of success if it was on say UPN or The WB? Ratings don't seem to play as much as a factor of for series on those networks.

Let's be honest, Jason Bateman has not had much sitcom success after The Hogan Family:

Simon
Chicago Sons
George & Leo
Some of My Best Friends

George & Leo was probably the best of the bunch I think and a favorite of the critics but lasted only 1 season.

I hope this does not affect his career but you have to wonder how many opportunites he is going to get. What kind of sitcom do you think he would be best in?

[This message has been edited by TJ (edited 04-30-2001).]
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 12:24 AM   #5
Madness
I call it the rocket

You're right, TJ. He hasn't had much success unfortunately. I don't know what sitcom he would fit in best with--it's hard to say. He's shown he's versatile but that hasn't worked for him.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
dannyyell
an art chick
Frequent Poster

good point. I think the only episode I watched of the show was the first one, and I have to admit that I thought the humor came and went. But.. I'm having trouble coming up with another sitcom where he could try his talents at. I'm thinking something with subtle humor. In the Hogans he was always good at playing off of other people, and interacting with them. But at the same time I felt he could take on the lead role if the show had an important message to get across. So frankly I'm stumped.. but I'm hoping we'll hear his name again in the near future.

Danielle
Old 04-30-2001, 07:50 PM   #7
Ed Viveiros
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyyell:
good point. I think the only episode I watched of the show was the first one, and I have to admit that I thought the humor came and went.
Danielle
Just offering a friendly 2 cents...

Sorry Danielle and Todd, but I don't think your assessment of the show is altogether fair. Very few shows get their total act together by the end of the first 5 episodes, let alone the pilot. Look at "Valerie/The Hogan Family" for instance. As much as I loved the "Valerie" period of the show, the majority of Season 1 was at times more cute than funny (the episode where the dog Murray was put to sleep comes to mind), and I include Valerie along with that.

It's not the show's fault, however. Most (if not all) new shows need time to find their niche, and sure enough, by the 7th episode ("Happy Anniversary", my fave from Season 1), they had found it. But that's because NBC gave it a chance. If "Valerie/The Hogan Family" were to debut today in the 2000/2001 season with the exact same shows, I doubt it'd last past the 10th show. Most shows today are yanked off the schedule if they're not in the top 2 or 3, and the first season of "Valerie/The Hogan Family" took a while to find their audience. It had a following but was no way as popular as it was from Season 2 on...

------------------
Edward Viveiros, Jr.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:49 PM   #8
dannyyell
an art chick
Frequent Poster

I don't know.. I guess speaking for *me* only I don't get into sitcoms much anymore. I think it IS harder to find your niche today because maybe we are moving out of sitcom television. I really don't know.. but I personally am getting tired of the same ole shows and plots that don't go anywhere. It seems they are always building up a new sitcom and it flops for some reason. Maybe the chemistry worked for Val's/Hogans Family and that's why it stayed on.. I don't know. But I would like to see Jason back on television (since he's the only staying in the media these days, besides Valerie) but I'm just a viewer and I really don't know what else to say that can help the situation. So that's why I just ran my mouth for fifteen lines.

Take care y'all,
Danielle
Old 04-30-2001, 11:59 PM   #9
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Ed, I'm sure you know Valerie was tied for 24th with a 18.1 rating its first season in the spring of 1986. No season after the first ranked as high. People were watching it from the start and I'm sure NBC saw some potential and decided to pick it up for the fall schedule. Valerie Harper had star power. They really didn't change that much from season 1 to season 2.

I will agree that times have changed. Today if you don't draw an audience by 6 episodes or less your gone. There were a lot more family shows back in the 80's then there is now. Look at shows like The Facts of Life and Cheers - I believe they were both ranked dead last their first season yet they were both picked up for a second season and went on to great success. That just shows you how desperate NBC was at that time for hits on their lineup.

The overall ratings don't really matter that much, it is how you do in their timeslot. Perhaps if they had kept it on that big Monday lineup it would have had a better chance but I really don't know. Really sitcoms are so much more expensive to produce than the game shows and news type programs.

I will have to disagree with you and say that if Valerie debuted today with the same ratings it had in season 1 it would have been guaranteed a slot in season 2. Look at a show like Daddio (a family type show) on NBC last spring - it did pretty well in the ratings and got picked up for the fall and then tanked and I guess it was cancelled completely. This year I think The Fighting Fitzgeralds and My Wife and Kids which were given a trial run will be picked up for a 2nd season.

[This message has been edited by TJ (edited 05-01-2001).]
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:49 AM   #10
Ed Viveiros
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Ed, I'm sure you know Valerie was tied for 24th with a 18.1 rating its first season in the spring of 1986. No season after the first ranked as high. People were watching it from the start and I'm sure NBC saw some potential and decided to pick it up for the fall schedule. Valerie Harper had star power. They really didn't change that much from season 1 to season 2.
Actually, I wasn't aware of that. From what I'd read when Valerie was fired, it was stated that Season 1 did mediocre in the ratings (or whatever it was) and that NBC almost didn't pick the show up for a second season. But by Season 2 the show become a solid attraction for NBC on Mondays and that was what supposedly prompted Valerie & her hubby to renogiate their contracts with Lorimar. That was my understanding of it, anyway. Quite a few articles talked of this, which doesn't mean they're right of course. Maybe they're all quoting the wrong sources?

Quote:
I will agree that times have changed. Today if you don't draw an audience by 6 episodes or less your gone. There were a lot more family shows back in the 80's then there is now. Look at shows like The Facts of Life and Cheers - I believe they were both ranked dead last their first season yet they were both picked up for a second season and went on to great success. That just shows you how desperate NBC was at that time for hits on their lineup.

The overall ratings don't really matter that much, it is how you do in their timeslot. Perhaps if they had kept it on that big Monday lineup it would have had a better chance but I really don't know. Really sitcoms are so much more expensive to produce than the game shows and news type programs.

I will have to disagree with you and say that if Valerie debuted today with the same ratings it had in season 1 it would have been guaranteed a slot in season 2.
That's not what I said. I actually said the opposite, that I doubt it would have lasted past episode 10 (the end of Season 1). Uuugh! What a thought! To think we would've lost out on all those other great episodes...

Quote:
Look at a show like Daddio (a family type show) on NBC last spring - it did pretty well in the ratings and got picked up for the fall and then tanked and I guess it was cancelled completely. This year I think The Fighting Fitzgeralds and My Wife and Kids which were given a trial run will be picked up for a 2nd season.
Yup, that's what I was trying to say in my last post. Today's shows aren't really given a chance. It's based more on luck than quality nowadays. It's too bad. My only point in bringing this up was that I felt any assessment on "Some of My Best Friends" based on the pilot and second/third episodes was a bit premature. It's just too early to judge. The pilot episode for "Will & Grace" for instance, I thought, was ordinary at best, and it's one of my favorite shows (though it has stunk a bit this past season).
Too bad that Jason's show will never get the chance. Maybe he should join a cop drama show like his former castmate Rick Schroeder? I'm sure he's just as good in drama as he is in comedy...

Time will tell...

------------------
Edward Viveiros, Jr.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:28 PM   #11
Madness
I call it the rocket

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyyell:
But I would like to see Jason back on television (since he's the only staying in the media these days, besides Valerie)

Danielle
Hey, what about Burt(Steve Witting) and his Golden Grahams commercial?!

And being serious, isn't Josh Taylor still on Days of Our Lives? I've never watched the show so I don't know but I think I heard correctly he was on a few years ago. That's what it says on imdb.com.

[This message has been edited by Madness (edited 07-08-2001).]
Old 07-08-2001, 01:54 PM   #12
dannyyell
an art chick
Frequent Poster

Oooh yea you're right! I forgot about him. (doh sorry Josh) And I suppose I could accept Burt's commercial.