Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

My Three Sons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / My Three Sons Photo Gallery

My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > My Three Sons

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #46
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Some random things Iíve noticed about Season 10 and the earliest Dodie episodes:

...Steve and Barbara almost breaking off the wedding is a repeated theme from when Rob and Katie nearly called theirs off in Season 8.
As was Tramp showing up at the ceremony, and the guys oversleeping before it.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #47
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
Dodie's image as the girl that had "hatchet" hair and always showed her undies has persisted largely because Season 10 has been the only one of her seasons syndicated to any great extent. Seasons 11 and 12 where she has longer and better hair and wears trousers more, are not.
Maybe her mother saw some of the episodes from season 10 on TV, and put her foot down for the last 2 seasons.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #48
horizonbeach11
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
Maybe her mother saw some of the episodes from season 10 on TV, and put her foot down for the last 2 seasons.
Well, her mother was in a season 10 episode so she should have been around enough to see what they were dressing Dawn in, but it's possible that she had no say due to contractual obligations or something. Also, this was the prevailing thing to do with little girls in sitcoms of that era, as others have mentioned. Cindy Brady, Buffy Davis, and others were dressed the same way, and come to think of it, if you go all the way back to the early Shirley Temple and Little Rascals movies of the 1930s they dressed little girls the same way, in too short dresses that barely, or didn't, cover their underwear, so it was probably not frowned on as it is today.

Plus, it was just a more innocent era, as you can tell when you see episodes of M3S where Dodie is sent out the front door (in North Hollywood!) to walk to school or the market by herself without a thought from the adults that she might not return. Cindy Brady was left alone in a line of kids in a crowded department store waiting to see Santa in an early episode of "The Brady Bunch", and all of the Brady kids walked places alone in suburban LA without anyone batting an eye.

I realize these things happened in the made up world of sitcoms, but I also grew up in that era, albeit in a small Midwestern town, and my sisters, friends, and I, who were all fairly young kids in the early '70s, walked and rode our bikes around town all summer long without any adults chaperoning us or any thought of anyone grabbing us or trying to harm us, and no one ever did. It was just a simpler, and in that way much happier, time to be a kid.
horizonbeach11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #49
Willbo
Forum Regular

I agree that the early 70's were such a simple time. We would ride our bikes all over the place without adult supervision. Also stay out playing "Fox and Hounds" until one in the morning. No one ever bothered us. Our parents did not seem to worry as much. This could not happen today.
Willbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #50
paul.austin
Frequent Poster

However; it's a somewhat sad hashmark against The Brady Bunch when a much stodgier, more tired, and definitely squarer show (M3S) actually does a more realistic arc capturing the conflicted emotions of a child reacting to a parent's re-marriage AND herself joining a larger family.
paul.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #51
horizonbeach11
Frequent Poster

Quote:
However; it's a somewhat sad hashmark against The Brady Bunch when a much stodgier, more tired, and definitely squarer show (M3S) actually does a more realistic arc capturing the conflicted emotions of a child reacting to a parent's re-marriage AND herself joining a larger family.
Very true. M3S had much better writers who had a deeper understanding of how to address family issues and understood the need to do so to make the story line somewhat believable.

Just by nature of being a Sherwood Schwartz product, "The Brady Bunch" was really pretty silly and unrealistic. Not nearly as much so as "Gilligan's Island" but still pretty silly. Day 1: Mike and Carol get married. Day 2: All of the kids immediately start calling their brand new parent Mom or Dad with zero conflicting emotions or explanation except that the boys' mother had died at some point. Where was the girls' dad? Did Mike adopt them? It was never even discussed but they immediately began using his surname instead of Carol's previous married name, Martin. Did Carol adopt the boys? What happened to Tiger? Why did Alice have to wear an uncomfortable uniform when she lived with the Bradys and didn't work through an agency? They weren't that formal about anything else. Explanation someone, please! #sherwoodschwartz
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #52
stevea

Season 1 of BB was filled with silly stories. The sniffles and sneezes we talked about, a whole script about two pediatricians and which one to use, worrying about an "evil stepmother", fighting over a phone for a whole episode. And can you really imagine 6 kids sharing one bathroom? Getting out to school must have been a nightmare.

The scripts did improve as time went on. I wonder if Schwartz brought in different writers...easy enough to check.

Based on HB11s posts, I've been appreciating Dodie more, as I watch season 10. Now looking forward to the rare season 11, starting next Wed, and the even rarer season 12 to follow.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #53
horizonbeach11
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Season 1 of BB was filled with silly stories. The sniffles and sneezes we talked about, a whole script about two pediatricians and which one to use, worrying about an "evil stepmother", fighting over a phone for a whole episode. And can you really imagine 6 kids sharing one bathroom? Getting out to school must have been a nightmare.

The scripts did improve as time went on. I wonder if Schwartz brought in different writers...easy enough to check.

Based on HB11s posts, I've been appreciating Dodie more, as I watch season 10. Now looking forward to the rare season 11, starting next Wed, and the even rarer season 12 to follow.
Dodie is a bit more mature and more of a seasoned actress in seasons 11 and 12, naturally, and her hair looks a lot better. However, I still have a special affinity for season 10 "hatchet hair" as someone else put it, Dodie, another big reason being that not only did I somewhat resemble Dodie at that age but my dad died at the very young age of 28 in late 1969 when I was four years old, so right around the time that they introduced the story line with Dodie, whose dad had also died when she was very young. I can remember seeing that episode where she shows Steve the picture of her father and says, "This is MY daddy!" and I was so little myself when it aired. I just felt a special bond with Dodie back then, I guess maybe that character even helped me to feel a little less different at the time too, because it seemed like all the other kids had dads at home (much unlike today, sadly).
Old 05-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #54
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Cute picture of Dodie with Myrtle !

Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #55
stevea

She really was a cute kid.

There was a season 10 episode where she "told" Myrtle she couldn't come to school anymore. I can't remember if Myrtle lasts into season 11...we'll see.

Re the comments above about 70s kids doing things freely, without having to be watched...it was the same for us growing up in the late 50s and 60s. I'll add we had respect for adults we knew, such as neighbors, teachers, and principals.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #56
paul.austin
Frequent Poster

HB11 - I think it's a really good thing that Dodie wasn't blonde like Buffy Davis from Fedderson's Family Affair.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #57
horizonbeach11
Frequent Poster

Quote:
HB11 - I think it's a really good thing that Dodie wasn't blonde like Buffy Davis from Fedderson's Family Affair.
So do I, and I'm glad that they didn't try to dye her hair or make her wear a wig so that she shared Barbara's hair color, bravo for them for letting her be natural! I remember reading that Mike Lookinland, who played Bobby Brady, had naturally reddish blond hair so his hair was dyed throughout the BB so that he would look more like his TV dad. You can tell in the early episodes that he had a dye job, his hair was so jet black with no natural highlights. What a ridiculous thing to put a small child through! It seems like it would have been easier to just find a dark haired child actor to play the third son.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #58
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonbeach11
...You can tell in the early (Brady Bunch) episodes that (Mike Lookinland) had a dye job, his hair was so jet black with no natural highlights. What a ridiculous thing to put a small child through! It seems like it would have been easier to just find a dark haired child actor to play the third son.
Or just leave his hair alone. Everyone knows it's just a TV show with un-related actors.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #59
horizonbeach11
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Or just leave his hair alone. Everyone knows it's just a TV show with un-related actors.
Right, or even made a point of letting the audience know that the boys' mother had been a lovely redhead and Bobby took after her. It was so odd and unrealistic how the three girls all had to match their mother's hair color, even to the point where it was mentioned in the theme song, and the three boys all had to match their dad's hair color.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #60
paul.austin
Frequent Poster

There were much more deserving shows than TBB that should have become cutural icons. I once wrote a "realistic" AU where Marcia is sexually assaulted and then killed by a Doug Simpson type and his buddies. A "Heather Rich" reality, meets the Stepford Kids scenario of the Bunch.