Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Gets Jillian Bell for Comedy; Rev Run Sitcom Preview
Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Which Satellite Company Do You Prefer?
Direct TV 8 80.00%
Dish Network 1 10.00%
Other 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Default Direct TV Or Dishnet? Which Is Better

I'm thinking of dropping Comcast and going with Satellite TV. Each service has its pros and cons, please help me decide.

Direct TV comes with a DVR and free local channels
Dish Net comes with a DVR
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
I'm thinking of dropping Comcast and going with Satellite TV. Each service has its pros and cons, please help me decide.

Direct TV comes with a DVR and free local channels
Dish Net comes with a DVR
You need to find out these things...

Direct TV and Dish Net: How many shows can you tape at the same time? Can you tape a show then watch another channel? (My uncle has that in New Jersey, I wanted to tape an all star home run derby so my half sister can watch Spongebob but the DVR he had with comcast wouldn't let me. I guess it's a one tuner box.)

Is there something special you want with the satellite? Are you a sports fan who wants to watch the team you root for that is out of the city or state?
Waterston_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
ABlairican Pie
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.

I was about to get DirectTV as part of my service with Qwest when I moved in to my new place, but their problem was that a row of pine trees would have gotten in the way of the satellite in the south sky. And they tried to see if maybe they could put it at a certain position on the roof, and all I needed was the landlady's permission. Unfortunately, she said that there were actually going to be no more dishes going up on the buildings because not only were harming the structures of the posts and balconies of the apartment units, but they were making the complex looking like a cluttered eyesore and hurting the value of the property. I was a little disappointed, since it would have been cheaper to go with it as part of the Qwest bundle, but oh well, I decided to give Comcast a shot, and I've been satisfied so far.

My only problem is that with these shows on basic cable, there are too many commercials, and they sometimes turn a two-hour movie into three!!

One problem we have now in the Seattle-Tacoma area is that Dish network for some contractural reasons refuses to carry Channel 4, the ABC affiliate. How does that happen??
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie

One problem we have now in the Seattle-Tacoma area is that Dish network for some contractural reasons refuses to carry Channel 4, the ABC affiliate. How does that happen??
That has also happened to us in California but, that problem has been resolved according to my Niece. I guess either party could end the contract if there is something they don't like. Maybe channel 4 doesn't want to pay what Dish net is asking. So far that's one for Direct.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Make sure they put the satellite somewhere where you can get to it. If it snows, it blocks the picture and you have to go out and wipe it off. When I had Direc TV I had that problem. Also find out if they charge for installation, or any other what they call "adjustment fees". A lot of times they dont tell you about those, and you find your bill is higher than you expected.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

I've only had Dish Network and have never had a problem. We still have yet to get our new Smart Cards, but the guy on the phone was nice about the whole thing. Dish carries Sirius music stations and Direct carries XM's, but they're one in the same now, so that's not an issue. The sports they carry are different, so check that out if you're a sports fan. There isn't a big difference in regular channels.

We've never lost signal due to snow and during thunderstorms it'll go out for a little while, but it's never gone longer than half an hour.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: The Rodney Dangerfield of Cities. C-Town Gets NO Respect!
Oh No

Dish Network was fine...until I couldn't pay the bills.

When I did, they threatened to take our satellite stuff. I paid them, but they wanted their stuff back.

I would've called for action! **** Dish Network, I'll go with AT&T since they're my phone service.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
ekkostar
Coffee, Tea & Larroquette!

Send a message via Yahoo to ekkostar

DirecTV, although with the way things are going right now, I think Dish Network will eventually merge with DirecTV as Sirius and XM did last year.

"All my sitcoms had an audience, with four or five cameras, so working this way has always been appealing to me." - John Larroquette

A living legend, five Emmys and a Tony award! Your favorites could never...

ekkostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
browneyes106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkostar
DirecTV, although with the way things are going right now, I think Dish Network will eventually merge with DirecTV as Sirius and XM did last year.
I think so too. They tried to merge back in 2002 but the FCC kept them doing it. I read in a business magazine back in August that a guy who works for one of the companies said they are often trying merge plans and he thinks maybe within a year or two they will be merged.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

My sister has Dish network, she says it's a little cheaper than Direct but you don't get quite as many channels.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
browneyes106

I have DirecTV and the DVR is sort of complicated. My cousins who I often house sit for have Dish and their DVR systems are pretty easy. One tip that I heard works to keep snow off a satellite is to spray non-stick cooking spray on it.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #12
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Good points, it doesn't snow where I live so I don't have to worry about that one. Hmm I'll do more research. Keep 'em coming.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote