Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2
CBS Announces Cast for The World's Best; Bravo Gets Anthology Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
mets82

I thought she was part of the family. They always included her in everything.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame X
Alice was the glue of the family. They were helpless without her. What the hell did Carol do, anyway? She "helped" with meals and drove kids around sometimes.

Mike should have married Alice!
Don't forget about Carol Brady's Women's Club and charity luncheons!
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
cleverfun3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
Thanks folks, I'm glad you liked the posts.
We couldn't help but like these posts you did in response to Alice being thought of as a family member. You addressed each issue point by point, adding comments to each to support your viewpoint. You systematically broke down kooky12 arguments, presented proof and examples like you were Clarence Darrow.
cleverfun3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
caladon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverfun3000
We couldn't help but like these posts you did in response to Alice being thought of as a family member. You addressed each issue point by point, adding comments to each to support your viewpoint. You systematically broke down kooky12 arguments, presented proof and examples like you were Clarence Darrow.
Thank you, cleverfun3000; I appreciate the compliment.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 AM   #20
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Back than maids/housekeepers wore uniforms. Hazel did, she even wore a maids cap too!! LOL . I can't remember if Florence from the Jefferson's did? I think so though. Hazel called the Baxter's , Mr. B and Missy! Florence called the Jefferson's . Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson. I guess that is just how it was back than!

Tripping over the Chinese checkers though!! I don't think I would have been as nice as Alice was about that. I probably wouldn't have sued the family, but I would be more angry than Alice was! I sprained my ankle about a year ago, and it was so painful and it s*cked!!!!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #21
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

To my knowledge, Hazel didn't wear a cap as part of her uniform -- instead, she wore a little white tiara that matched the design of her collar.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
To my knowledge, Hazel didn't wear a cap as part of her uniform -- instead, she wore a little white tiara that matched the design of her collar.

Oh wow, I guess it is more of a tiara type of thing rather than a cap! I knew she wore something on her head!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Z7jeDbucjFo/0.jpg
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

In Hazel we trust! But remember, when taking her photo, Hazel stipulates "no cheesecake!" LOL
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #24
torcan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad
Yes! This was what I was going to say. Times were different back during 1969-1974.
Along the same lines, I always wondered why Sam and Darrin weren't on first-name basis with the Kravitzes after years of being neighbors on "Bewitched", or why Oliver Douglas wasn't on first-name basis with the folks from Hooterville when all the others seemed to be.

It was the '60s, after all...
torcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Flying Dutchman

All do respect, I totally disagree with you. Alice addressed them as Mr and Mr.s as a form of respect. When the family went to Hawaii and on other trips, they always took Alice with them, and I point out that she wasn't treated as a servant on those trips, rather as a part of the family. She also joined in on activities with the family as well. Doesn't that seem like a part of the family? It does to me.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #26
bellczar
Frequent Poster

Sherwood Schwartz wrote about it many times. The reason the Bradys needed a housekeeper was so Carol would have someone to talk to in the kitchen. The stories needed things to be discussed among the adults and Alice was there.

Schwartz pointed out that the decision to cast both Alice and Carol revolved around the other. (I might be misremembering the order of these decisions, but...) The original choice for Alice was Kathleen Freeman, who was not even a little bit funny. The original choice for Carol was Joyce Bulifant, a funny woman. Then they were able to sign Florence Henderson, and that meant two straight (i.e., non-comedic) women in the kitchen. So they got Ann B. Davis, a funny woman, to counterbalance Florence.

Alice was needed to be "a member of the family" to make her larger role in relating to both the children and the adults meaningful. That wouldn't have worked if all she did was cook and clean and go home to her own place after dinner was made.
bellczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #27
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79 View Post
Everyone has made some very good points. I don't even see why they needed Alice in the first place (after the marriage, that is). Carol didn't have a job, and the older kids didn't need as much supervision, so maybe they could've freed up Alice's salary to build a few more rooms!!
Yes, but then again it is for the particular structure of the show.
Alice was to be the fall gal to a lot of the kids' jokes and even some from Mr and Mrs. Brady. Also the Brady's had six kids. When the series began the oldest ones were about 13 and the younger ones about 8. Kids that young can be more than a hand-full and it is apparent that all those kids were too much for Carol Brady alone even though she had no other job so Alice was supposed to be "representative" or "proof" of the fact that the Bradys were a large family with six underaged members.
The details were not supposed to be deeply considered and of course it is likely the writers either did not think about details of the relationship between Alice and the Bradys or they figured most people would take for granted that the set-up makes sense. The specifics were not supposed to be thought of as relevant to the plots otherwise you would notice as a lot of you mentioned. that Alice is very much considered to be a close member of the family and she goes on vacations with the Bradys etc, but also she is a live-in maid , but there really isn't a need for her to wear a uniform (but then I guess that is so that the viewing audience does not forget that she is a maid and not a family member) .

But also about the odd relationship between Alice and the Brady's ;it is very much as if she is some widow or unmarried woman with no life of her own, no kids or husband of her own which is unusual for a woman Alice's age, and though she has a boyfriend and a cousin she is depicted as if she is just someone who is practically an orphan and was adopted into the Brady family to live with them .
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
Anna Karenina
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal View Post
Bingo!
Hi Irene...
Anna Karenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #29
TheLittleFaerie
Frequent Poster

Should they have also told her she no longer had to work and just let her live there? lol

I mean they treated her basically like a member of the family BUT at the same time she was still a PROFESSIONAL made and acted professional at her work.
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote