Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

No one's been charged. There are no suspects. It's still unsolved.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
Wow OK thanks! Has anyone been charged with her murder? Or do the police think because of her 'breakdown' she did it herself?
It's still unsolved, but my understanding is that police believe she committed suicide.

I often wonder if its because of a botch in the investigation that makes them lean that way. I can see supporting facts for both sides, as I've said numerous times. That being said, I cannot reconcile how her body was found and why it took them so long to find her. It makes me think her body was dumped. Therefore, I believe she was the victim of foul play.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
JustVisiting
Frequent Poster

Thinman - where did you get this info, "The cop was having a sexual relationship with her"? I had not heard that before.

Read more: Cindy James - Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz4bS8l7Y7d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinman
This is certainly one of the most interesting cases UM has ever profiled because a legitimate argument can be made for either side. I am a little skeptical of the stories corroborated by the Woodcocks and her cop "friend" because they are not unbiased sources. I'm not trying to call anyone a liar, but the Woodcocks would have said or done anything to clear Cindy's name. The cop was having a sexual relationship with her.

Good point about her also not being caught doing these things. But, it would be a whole lot easier for her to get away with these things than someone else, in my opinion. I just can't get past the fact that she was violently assaulted five times and there was not a shred of evidence suggesting another party was involved.
JustVisiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #19
UMfan30
Frequent Poster

Ive watched the UM segment several times and also read Neal Hall's book just recently. There is alot of information in the book that is not mentioned in the UM segment. I would recommend anyone interested in this case to check out the book. Its no longer in print but i found a used copy on Amazon for fairly cheap. Here are some facts and also my thoughts on the book and segment.

Ozzie Kaban was Cindys PI, he stated In the segment that Cindy was "evasive". This was true. She was not only evasive with the police but also with her family, friends, doctors and even Kaban himself. She never confided in anyone as to her thoughts as to who may have been stalking her or why.

Although Cindy stated she felt a needle go into her arm during several of the attacks the only drug found in her system at the hospital was her prescribed Valium which was at theraputic levels. No other drugs or alcohol was found to be in her system when she was treated at the hospital after the attacks.

At the hospital after the attacks doctors and the detectives who interviewed her described sudden changes in her behavior. She would appear dazed and semi concious but moments later would be sitting up in bed talking and answering questions normally. One doctor described some of her behavior as "child like."

Cindy's Ex-husband was obviously a prime suspect of the attacks/stalking. No evidence was ever found that he was behind the incidents or knew who was responsible. He eventually informed the family of his belief that Cindy was mentally ill.

Even though Cindy lived in constant fear, neighbors and friends reported that Cindy would work in the yard or the garden into dusk and sometimes after dark. It was also confirmed that Cindy would walk her dog late at night. Cindy stated she was out walking her dog at 3am when the fire was set at her home.

Several attacks Cindy reported two or three people being involved. If so then that is a conspiracy. Cindy was never able to provide a reliable description of the attacker or attacker's. One of the reported attacks states Cindy was approached by two unknown men in a van near a local park. There were no witnesses that could confirm the presence of the men or the van.

Police did stake out Cindy's home on several occasions. They would also do random patrols and spot checks of Cindy's street, home etc. Police never saw anyone suspicious in the area.

Cindy reported her porch lights smashed or sometimes simply unscrewed. She reported bangs and thumps at night and stated she felt as if someone was prowling around outside. Some of her windows were smashed and her phone lines cut. The police would show up but could not find any fingerprints, shoe tracks or any other evidence that someone other than Cindy was there.

Although alot of Cindy's neighbors were aware of the alledged activity that was going on no one reported ever seeing anyone around Cindy's home or reported any suspicious activity.

The UM segment describes the fire that was set at Cindy's home, this was the night her friends (husband and wife) were staying over. This was also the night Cindy reported she was out walking her dog at 3 am. The investigation concuded that there was no forced entry found at the home. The arson investigation found that there were 6 different spots in the basement where an accelerant was used. They even went so far as to attempt to recreate the scene as if an unknown person set the fire from the outside through the window. They found it to be impossible and concluded there was no doubt the fire was set from inside the home.

Cindy's polygraph came back "inconclusive".

Cindy was treated twice in a psychiatric hospital and recieved anti-psychotic medication.

Cindy's doctors/psychiatrists all believed she suffered from mental illness. This was discussed in depth at the cause of death hearing.

Seven years Cindy reported the attacks/stalking. No one could confirm ever seeing a suspicious person or witnessing any of the harrassment.

The tape recorded voice of the "attacker" sounded like a woman attempting to disguise her voice.

3-4 different detectives worked on this case. The results/conclusion from all the detectives were the same.

While Cindy's PI believed her it has to be stated that Cindy was a paying client.

Even though Cindy had been treated at a Psychiatric hospital several times throughout the years, Cindy's family and especially her father refused to accept or acknowledge that Cindy may have suffered from Mental Illness.

While its difficult to believe Cindy was responsible for the attacks and harrassment it definately seems that way. Cindy eitheir committed these acts herself due to severe mental illness or she was the victim of an elaborate conspiracy with no motive. Those involved have to be the luckiest criminals in history to attack and harass someone for several years while leaving no evidence. People say how could she have done this to herself?? Some people with mental illness harm themselves all the time, cutting, plucking or pulling out their hair, cigarette burns etc.I think its important to remember that during that time those who suffered from mental illness were shunned or even embarrassed to seek or recieve treatment. Today, thankfully people dont have to hide or be embarrassed due to their illness. Now every other commercial on TV is an advertisement for a new anti-depressant. Blame and denial are two very powerful coping mechanisms and i believe thats what her family did. Blamed the police for bungling the case and denying the fact that Cindy suffered from Mental Illness. Whether or not she did this to herself or someone else did it there is no doubt she was in a living hell and thats definately sad. This is just my opinion after reading the book and watching the segment several times.
UMfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #20
janiesue
Frequent Poster

I go back and forth on this, one thing I see a lot is about the
( tape recorded voice of the "attacker" sounded like a woman attempting to disguise her voice)

What "if: she was being stalked by a woman? What "if" the police did not see suspicious activity because they where looking for a man?
janiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

I hate it when people try to blame Cindy for this. She was stalked and murdered, and her killer has gotten away with it for nearly 30 years.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #22
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium
I hate it when people try to blame Cindy for this. She was stalked and murdered, and her killer has gotten away with it for nearly 30 years.
While I agree with you that she was likely murdered, I *can* see where it's a hotly disputed matter.

For me (and Robin covered it in his podcast), it was the discovery of Cindy's body that led me to believe she was murdered...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #23
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
For me (and Robin covered it in his podcast), it was the discovery of Cindy's body that led me to believe she was murdered...
I agree with this. If her death was a suicide (or even an accidental death staging a fake attack), it wouldn't have taken two weeks to find the body.

However, her being murdered doesn't mean there wasn't some exaggeration on Cindy's part in the allegations of stalking and harassment. Her behavior over the seven years prior to her death is very consistent with Mundchausen's syndrome. I believe that some of the harassment was real, but I believe she fabricated some of it as well either to get attention or to bring attention to the portions of it that were real.

Can we at least all agree that Neal Hall came off as very smug and arrogant in his interview regardless of whether you agree with him or not.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty
I agree with this. If her death was a suicide (or even an accidental death staging a fake attack), it wouldn't have taken two weeks to find the body.

However, her being murdered doesn't mean there wasn't some exaggeration on Cindy's part in the allegations of stalking and harassment. Her behavior over the seven years prior to her death is very consistent with Mundchausen's syndrome. I believe that some of the harassment was real, but I believe she fabricated some of it as well either to get attention or to bring attention to the portions of it that were real.

Can we at least all agree that Neal Hall came off as very smug and arrogant in his interview regardless of whether you agree with him or not.

no. He came across as reasonable and objective
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #25
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

I really don't know what to make of this case. It reminds me a bit of Ruth Finley, though:

Harassed by An Unknown Author of Vicious Rhymes, Ruth Finley Confronts the Stranger Within Herself
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #26
fascination
Occasional Poster

Wow Tap Dancer, I had never read about that case before. Thanks for sharing- certainly does give one pause when it comes to the Cindy James case.
fascination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #27
janiesue
Frequent Poster

Just went on Amazon, both books range from 89.00-500.00 (wow)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #28
comicbookwriter
Frequent Poster

What I find interesting is the notion that Cindy James' situation has to be an EITHER/OR scenario.

Why can't it be possible for Cindy to have a mental break AND be tormented by someone over the years? Maybe her mental break was triggered by the stalking and only got worse or perhaps she had a long-term mental disorder that ran parallel to someone initiating a campaign of terror against her?

Clearly, UM missed a lot of the details covered in the books about Cindy James, but I find it hard to believe that someone could do the amount of drugs she did and then hogtie herself up at the point of death.

I can believe she started the fire in her house, I can believe she slashed her own pillow and I can believe she sent the letters to herself.

I do not believe she made those calls, I do not believe she threw rocks through her own window and I don't believe she staged her ALL of the physical attacks.

Her stalker didn't have to do much in terms of constant abuse, this person could do one or two things that triggered her mental breaks which caused her to do things to the cats she found in her yard and what she did to her dog.

So when she was questioned by law enforcement, she would obviously be "evasive" because she was mentally ill and had issues with reconciling reality.

My conclusion is this:

Cindy James was mentally ill. She also had a stalker who knew exactly how to trigger her illness which led to her doing things like starting fires, hurting animals and causing harm to her body.

As the campaign of terror continued, her self-mutilation got worse and she was losing her grasp on reality. Soon, her stalker decided to up the stakes and began to physically attack her from time to time.

The physical attacks got worse, which triggered worse mental breaks. Eventually, her stalker decided to kill her and they did. The stalker knew that the chain of evidence left behind would cast doubt on their existence and make it appear that Cindy was doing all of this herself.

When you think about it, this is the only scenario that fits the overall set of incidents.
comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #29
janiesue
Frequent Poster

If she had split personalty disorder, would one personalty kill the other?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #30
Calliope68
Occasional Poster

I agree with your scenario. Some things lime the fire she did but others was were her stalker. This kind of harrasment and not being believed would cause the saniest person to have psychological issues. I never believed she killed herself. I don't think a knot expert could hogtie themselves the way she was with the amount of drugs she had in her system.
Calliope68 is offline   Reply With Quote