Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100
The Office Starts Jan. 1 on COZI TV; The Good Place Star to Host TBS Game Show
Comedy Central Orders Awkwafina Comedy; Remembering Ken Berry of F Troop, Mayberry R.F.D. and Mama's Family

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV "The Gong Show" Season 2 Launches June 21st

"The Gong Show" Reboot a Go at ABC
by Michael Ausiello
October 3, 2016

Stop us if this has a familiar clang to it. ABC is rebooting another classic game show, this time the cheesy ’70s competition series "The Gong Show", TVLine has confirmed.

The network has placed a 10-episode order for a new version of the ’70s favorite, which is being exec produced by Will Arnett.

ABC has tapped into the nostalgia and excitement of primetime game shows,” said Rob Mills, SVP, Alternative Series, Specials & Late-Night Programming, in a statement.

We are thrilled to add The Gong Show to ABC’s schedule spearheaded by the incomparable Will Arnett.

According to Deadline, which first broke the news, every episode will feature “non-traditionally talented performers” plucked from the internet and put in front of a revolving panel of Hollywood judges.

ABC has not announced who will succeed Chuck Barris (who emceed the original ’70s version) as host.

http://tvline.com/2016/10/03/the-gon...rnett-revival/

Last edited by JamesG; 04-19-2018 at 01:15 PM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"The Gong Show" Reboot Get ABC Summer Premiere Date
by Denise Petski and Nellie Andreeva
April 13, 2017

"The Gong Show" revival premieres Thursday, June 22 at 10pm.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/still-st...bc-1202069658/
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"The Gong Show" Revival Sets Tommy Maitland (AKA Mike Myers?) as Host
by Denise Petski
April 28, 2017

ABC’s "The Gong Show" revival now has a host. The network announced that British comic Tommy Maitland has been tapped to emcee the rebooted talent show competition executive produced by Will Arnett. But wait, Tommy Maitland has an uncanny resemblance to Mike Myers.

And, (spoiler alert) Maitland isn’t a real person. He’s actually a fictional character being played by an actor believed to be Mike Myers. So, while ABC won’t confirm or deny, we’ll go with Myers, who apparently will be going full method for the gig.

According to ABC’s release, Arnett had befriended Maitland years ago after meeting him at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Wanting to work with the comedian, Arnett tried for years to come up with a something that was suitable and "The Gong Show" appeared to the perfect match.

The show, which premieres June 22, will feature non-traditionally talented performers plucked from the internet and put in front of a revolving panel of Hollywood judges.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-gong...st-1202079151/
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMzi7tfXvSM
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

If Tommy is indeed Mike Myers, they should have left the gag go on. I would have never know. Reminds me of Marty ( can;t think of his last name) who did Jimmy Glick.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Torgo
Art by Baby Torgo
Forum Veteran

I didn't know we weren't supposed to know it was him, it sounds just like him, and he even uses a lot of the same phrases from when he played Austin Powers.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
tlc38tlc38
Did I do that?
Forum Veteran

This just sounds stupid.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
If Tommy is indeed Mike Myers, they should have left the gag go on. I would have never know. Reminds me of Marty ( can;t think of his last name) who did Jimmy Glick.

You're thinking of Martin Short.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
This just sounds stupid.

I totally agree. But it just shows how far in the toilet Mike Myers' career has sunk. But then I've never liked him anyways. He hasn't made any movies since that stupid Love Guru disaster, I've heard several times now that Hollywood wants nothing more to do with him. I hope the show is a big fat failure. And I've also heard that Mike Myers is an arrogant, demanding jerk who thinks way too highly of himself to work with also.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #10
Babalu

The problem with doing the Gong Show now is that most big musical stars today have no talent anyway. Life is the Gong Show.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I took a quick glance at the Rolling Stone magazine and an article was about the new Gong show and indeed they mentioned Mike Meyers. As for the show, I was never a fan of the old show, I won't watch it. It does seem society now wants the dumbest shows to play. I am not much into the Match Game with any version. Give me a show where you learn.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Mom and I saw an episode of the new version of The Gong Show a few minutes ago and in my mind it's the worst version of The Gong Show I have seen. Take for instance why did ABC have Tommy Maitland be the host? ABC should've had James Corden or Howie Mandel or even David Spade be the host of the show and that would make this new version of The Gong Show worth watching. Second I think the panel of rotating guest judges was great but I think they could've used stars like Whoopi Goldberg Gabriel Iglesias and George Lopez as judges rather than having a rotating panel of judges. Finally what I really disliked about the new version of The Gong Show was there should be more singers and musical acts rather than comedy acts but I had to admit that some of the comedy acts were very clever like today's Street Fighter act on today's The Gong Show episode
So while ABC has done a clever version of a game show classic I think some improvements for the new version of The Gong Show should be done for next season
Bestie
Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #13
MikaelaArsenault
Christine and Harry
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia
Mom and I saw an episode of the new version of The Gong Show a few minutes ago and in my mind it's the worst version of The Gong Show I have seen. Take for instance why did ABC have Tommy Maitland be the host? ABC should've had James Corden or Howie Mandel or even David Spade be the host of the show and that would make this new version of The Gong Show worth watching. Second I think the panel of rotating guest judges was great but I think they could've used stars like Whoopi Goldberg Gabriel Iglesias and George Lopez as judges rather than having a rotating panel of judges. Finally what I really disliked about the new version of The Gong Show was there should be more singers and musical acts rather than comedy acts but I had to admit that some of the comedy acts were very clever like today's Street Fighter act on today's The Gong Show episode
So while ABC has done a clever version of a game show classic I think some improvements for the new version of The Gong Show should be done for next season
Bestie
I'm not a fan of some of those people, so in my opinion, they would not make great hosts.

And many others too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen

Comcast/XFINITY, please bring UP TV back. Thank you.
MikaelaArsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"The Gong Show" Renewed for Second Season at ABC; Mike Myers Revealed as Host
by Denise Petski
January 8, 2018

"The Gong Show" is returning for a second go-round. ABC has renewed the popular summer series for a second season.

The show will go into production later this year and an airdate will be announced at a future date, ABC said today during its TCA presentation.

Mike Myers also confirmed that he is in fact, the show’s host, aka British comedian Tommy Maitland.

Being the host of ‘The Gong Show’ is a blast! Pure fun,” said Myers. “It is with great delight that I can finally admit that there is indeed a Tommy Maitland, and that I portray him.

I was just as surprised as the next guy when I heard ‘The Gong Show’’s host, Tommy Maitland, was a character portrayed by the insanely talented Mike Myers,” executive producer Will Arnett revealed.

Despite this shocking news, I’m in total awe of the man, and we are so fortunate to have him as our brilliant host.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-gong...bc-1202238338/
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"The Gong Show" Season 2 Gets Summer Premiere Date
by Erik Pedersen
April 19, 2018

Get ready to bang a gong and get it on — again. ABC has set an 8 PM Thursday, June 21, for the Season 2 premiere of "The Gong Show", hosted by cheeky British comedy legend Tommy Maitland (aka Mike Myers).

http://deadline.com/2018/04/the-gong...bc-1202371106/