Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Default When They Found Out That Miles Wasn't His Real Name, Why Did They Still Use It?

Later on in the show we find out that Rose's lover Miles was in the Witness Protection program and that his real name was Nicholas Carbone.

In subsequent episodes he still is known as Miles. Why? They just didn't feel to change it to Nicholas?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
70s show watcher

i have no idea but ive always wondered the same thing
Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Perhaps they didn't want to blow his cover.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Perhaps they didn't want to blow his cover.

Well he expressed his wanting to leave the program. Especially since the reason why he was in there, The Cheeseman, was arrested.

One would assume he left the program and went back to his old self and let Rose in on who he "really is". That's my thinking but I could be wrong.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Indy788
Frequent Poster

Perhaps Harold Gould's wanting to leave the program is why in The Golden Palace they had Miles cheat on Rose and marry another woman. I always hated how they did that. I loved Miles and Rose.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy788
Perhaps Harold Gould's wanting to leave the program is why in The Golden Palace they had Miles cheat on Rose and marry another woman. I always hated how they did that. I loved Miles and Rose.

Agreed! Having set up that whole witness protection program plot, they could have had him have to go back into hiding again. I mean, I would think a gangster like the Cheeseman would have "buddies" out there, still gunning for the witness. That's one possible explanation for his not going back to his Nicholas Carbone identity. (If so, they should have spelled it out.)

I noticed this too - in "Miles to Go" he's so excited to be able to go back to Chicago and be Carbone again - but then Rose comes back from her next date with him, and says they're only going for three months, and everyone goes back to calling him Miles. (One of the few examples of dis-continuity WITHIN and episode.) Then in "Witness" it is as if Professor Miles Webber is the real identity he wants to go back to.

Before the Cheeseman's capture, he says he wants to be with Rose, even it means not being well-hidden. So maybe he's willing to give up his old life, too? Maybe he was shaken by Rose's first reaction, and realized he couldn't have it both ways - both "have his life back" and still have the love he found in his new life? I mean, I usually like him, but the way he says "I have my life back," could well have sounded to her if he doesn't consider his life with Rose his real one.

I wonder sometimes if he's actually living in later episodes as both men. He never seems to be around when anything else big is going on in Rose's life, like her heart surgery, or the marriage of one of her friends, or being harassed by her dentist. Sometimes they explain that he's out of town, sometimes they don't, and even so, he seems to be away a lot. Maybe "cleaning up his affairs" in Chicago like they said they were going to do in "Miles to Go." (Of course, Golden Palace gave us a different reason for his absences.)

And incidentally, they do refer again to the witness protection program in a later episode. In "Pope's Ring" Blanche uses this as justification for being suspicious of him and hiring the detective (even though she says in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun..." that she realizes Miles is too good for the tricks she plays on men. Yet another continuity thing.)

Last edited by JL82 : 09-17-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
TheGoldenGirls1
Frequent Poster

Question

I often wondered that too.

TheGoldenGirls1972@gmail.com
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenGirls1
I often wondered that too.

TheGoldenGirls1972@gmail.com

"that" being....?

It's actually not so much the continued use of the name that seems weird. Because you could see where the ladies would have gotten into that habit, and you could believe that he might put up with it, circumstances being what they were. The bigger problem is that so many plot lines revolve around the idea that he's a college professor: he wants to have cosmetic surgery because being around the students makes him feel old (Pope's Ring); Blanche uses his talking to students to make Rose insecure when he's at Career Day (Portrait of a Woman); and of course, Rose feeling uncomfortable around his college friends. (Dancing in the Dark.) Now, of course, that one comes before the revelations about the Program, but it would still mean he really became a professor, instead of pretending to be one.

Pope's Ring is the weirdest of these, though, because Blanche mentions his having been in the witness protection program to justify her suspicion of him, yet the reasons for his behavior turn on his being a professor...in the same episode. If it weren't for that one reference, we could, in writing fan fic, at least, treat the whole witness protection program thing as a crazy dream Rose had.

They could have had him first witness a crime in "Miles to Go," really being Miles, and have to go into hiding. I don't think that's any more far-fetched than what they did do. And the girls get confronted wtih criminals on several ocassions.

Last edited by JL82 : 09-17-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
JL82
Frequent Poster

And then, "Witness" ends in Hollywood-happily-ever-after-mode: the bad guy is caught, so the lovers can be together, and Rose declares that being with Miles is "all [she's] ever wanted." But by the next Season, if not sooner, she's complaining once again about his cheapness (Ro$e Love$ Mile$) and is afraid of commitment (Where's Charlie.) While those are certainly issues that do come up in relationships, it seems funny that they continued to care about those things after they were almost broken up in such a dramatic way, yet mysteries about Miles' past are never an issue again.

Last edited by JL82 : 10-09-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I think the frequent changeover in writers probably accounts a lot for the lack of cohesive storylines. In Rue's autobiography, she mentions that they had several different writers throughout the 7 years the show ran.

The numerous plot holes we all know exist tells me that each new writer probably didn't take the time to watch previous episodes, to assure they did a good job of picking up where the old writers left off.
:
Old 02-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy788
The Golden Palace stunk up the whole legacy of the original show.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Geesh! Kind of harsh, aren't you?

I personally enjoyed it, because it was unique and different, and we got to see them interact with new people, like Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin. It was disappointing to see the original show gone, but I loved Golden Palace for what it was. A follow-up continuation story of what happened to the girls after they left Blanche's house and moved on.