Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
TV TV Land Canada to Relaunch as Comedy Gold August 2nd with Focus On Classic Sitcoms

Link

CTV announced today the launch of a new specialty brand, Comedy Gold. Launching August 2, Comedy Gold pays tribute to timeless sitcoms of the 70s, 80s and 90s, and becomes CTV’s fourth new specialty brand this year, following the previous announcement of Discovery World HD, Investigation Discovery, and Discovery Science. The announcement was made as CTV confirmed the programming lineup for its industry-leading suite of specialty channels.

“With the launch of Comedy Gold and the new Discovery Channel brands, along with the premiere of hot new series and the return of power-house ratings winners in genres for every key target demo, CTV specialty channels are set to lead the industry for yet another season,” said Susanne Boyce, President, Creative, Content and Channels, CTV Inc.

Comedy Gold

Launching August 2, Comedy Gold sees its former TV Land Canada channel re-focus exclusively on the timeless sitcoms of the 70s, 80s and 90s. With more titles still to be confirmed, Comedy Gold features comedy classics such as the groundbreaking The Mary Tyler Moore Show; both classic Bob Newhart shows, The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart; two-time Emmy-winner for Best Comedy Series, Murphy Brown; court-room hi-jinks on Night Court; classic Canadian laughs on SCTV and the show that catapulted Will Smith to stardom, The Fresh Prince of Belair among others
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Thank heavens someone will be airing SCTV again!

I'm not that crazy about Murphy Brown or Fresh Prince but the rest of the lineup looks good too.

Now to convince my satellite network to carry this channel!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I'm glad there is actually going to be a channel that focuses on classic sitcoms. And I'm really tickled that it's a Canadian channel! SCTV is on the air!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
clj2

It's a great improvement, but shame they won't show anything from the 60s.

They were like TV Land in 2001...since the TV Land in the US is no longer classic TV only, I guess it makes sense for the other one to reposition if they plan to be.

clj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
James

Unhappy

I don't see how the 90s sitcoms can be considered classic. (Next thing you know, oldies stations will be playing 90s music! The horror! )
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
kk-likes-tv
Frequent Poster

No more Lassie, I'm gonna miss that crazy pooch.
kk-likes-tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
DSfan

In addition to the 7 sitcoms they mentioned in the press release, it is conceivable to think Happy Days, Bizarre, Veranda Comedy Club, Chaps Comedy Club, New Red Green Show, and Ready or Not could carry over to Comedy Gold from TV Land Canada's current lineup.

All the other shows they currently air, after consulting their lineup, are either sitcoms from before the 70s or dramas - not part of what they will be airing on Comedy Gold.

It's possible that none, some, or maybe even all of those shows carry over to Comedy Gold but I would say most likely it would be Bizarre, Veranda, Chaps, and maybe Happy Days. Sleeper pick to join the channel = Super Dave Osborne, that would fit in well with their need for sketch comedy and it aired from '87 to '91.
DSfan is offline   Reply With Quote