Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #481
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
I wonder if you touch that green jar thingy on Mrs. Garrett's table and yell "OZ!", if anything happens?

-
Haha!

The Easter Island statue is cool. At first, I thought it must have weird hands. Then I realized those must be starfish knickknacks in front of it.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #482
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I think you are right. Otherwise, the bed could not have been at that much of an angle, and still be flat against the wall.
Unless her bedroom is the site of some sort of vortex
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #483
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Discussion of Mrs. G's room should also mention the heart(?)-shaped coat rack. I've never seen that style of coat rack anywhere else.
Oo, I hadn't noticed the shape...this deserves closer investigation...
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #484
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

By the by, it looks like* "Graduation" is indeed the final time we see Seņor Tiger on The Facts of Life. I just checked the girls' room in season 5, "The Second Time Around" (I was surprised we didn't see the girls' room sooner in season 5, but so far that's the earliest I see), and the only refugee from the cafeteria building I can find so far is the infamous New Yorker poster that gets hung over Blair's bed.

However, I was blown away to see a season 4 set in season 5 I was not at all expecting---Rose Polniaczek's apartment! I had completely forgotten we ever saw it again post-Eastland! (and poor Rose, she sports a very unfortunate haircut in this episode)

*(I added "it looks like" because without that phrase, my wording reads as absolute fact. And I learned from Mr. Gideon's class that when you claim a fact, you use "F.A.C.T.", and you check, then you re-check, and then you check again---so I am not 100% claiming the tiger never again appears, but it's my belief so far that he does not [lol] )
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #485
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
By the by, it looks like* "Graduation" is indeed the final time we see Seņor Tiger on The Facts of Life. I just checked the girls' room in season 5, "The Second Time Around" (I was surprised we didn't see the girls' room sooner in season 5, but so far that's the earliest I see), and the only refugee from the cafeteria building I can find so far is the infamous New Yorker poster that gets hung over Blair's bed.

However, I was blown away to see a season 4 set in season 5 I was not at all expecting---Rose Polniaczek's apartment! I had completely forgotten we ever saw it again post-Eastland! (and poor Rose, she sports a very unfortunate haircut in this episode)

*(I added "it looks like" because without that phrase, my wording reads as absolute fact. And I learned from Mr. Gideon's class that when you claim a fact, you use "F.A.C.T.", and you check, then you re-check, and then you check again---so I am not 100% claiming the tiger never again appears, but it my belief so far that he does not [lol] )
RIP, Seņor Tiger!

What about Edna's room? Any artifacts in there?
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #486
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
RIP, Seņor Tiger!

What about Edna's room? Any artifacts in there?
[gasp]

You mean...you don't know?

There is no "Edna's room".

Ever again.

It's never shown in this house.

'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #487
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

Whaaaaatttttt????

That's... bizarre! That's insulting! How can they not show Edna Garrett's bedroom in Edna Garrett's house?

*prepares a boycott*
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #488
rusty spike
Member
Frequent Poster
 
rusty spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 08, 2015
Location: Southwest
Posts: 117
Default

A question:

Would the sets of different rooms and hallways be erected and remain "set-up" for the entire season?

Or would they be disassembled and reassembled as needed from week to week?

If it's the latter, then that might explain the small variations and the migration of certain props from room to room.
rusty spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #489
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Whaaaaatttttt????

That's... bizarre! That's insulting! How can they not show Edna Garrett's bedroom in Edna Garrett's house?

*prepares a boycott*
I don't know, but funnily enough, in over 20 "Family" sketches and 135 episodes of Mama's Family, they never show Mama's bedroom.

Ever!

The only time we ever see Mama's bedroom is in the final act of the 1982 90-minute teleplay Eunice.

But in Mama's house, we see just about everything else---for Pete's sake, we even see the interior of a closed-door closet, but not Mama's bedroom! lol

Also funnily enough, I never think of this as "Edna Garrett's house". Because the house is attached to the shop, I think of her as more of a renter. Maybe that's not the case, but I just never think of it as her house, or even the girls' house.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #490
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post
A question:

Would the sets of different rooms and hallways be erected and remain "set-up" for the entire season?

Or would they be disassembled and reassembled as needed from week to week?

If it's the latter, then that might explain the small variations and the migration of certain props from room to room.
Hey Rusty!

Welcome to the conversation!

As far as I know, the main sets do not come down from week to week (there's a "Friends" special which talks about the sets being dismantled between seasons.) Temporary sets, used for a single episode, would likely come down after being used, but sets like the Dorm Common Room, the S2 Cafeteria, Edna's Edibles and the Living Room, would stay up during the taping season.

There might be exceptions to this, though: it's possible they broke the sets down in the three-month hiatus between episodes 1-04 ("IQ") and 1-05 ("Overachieving"). I can tell you that there are some significant changes to the furniture between those two episodes, as if things were disassembled and then reassembled during the same season. '80s has documented these changes in the screenshots.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #491
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

I agree it seems shows leave up their main sets during an entire season's taping schedule. But, what of seldom-seen sets? There's not really a good "Facts" example, but, say, Vint & Naomi's "boudoir" in Mama's basement on Mama's Family. It's seen just a handful of times, spread out over the course of several seasons; would they just leave it up and bring it over when needed, or would they reassemble/disassemble it each time?
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #492
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

I could be wrong, but for this scene it looks like they moved the lounge hallway door to the other side of the kitchen door in this scene to block the view outside the window. If not, maybe it's an optical illusion; but if so, why??

-
Attached Images
  
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #493
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
I agree it seems shows leave up their main sets during an entire season's taping schedule. But, what of seldom-seen sets? There's not really a good "Facts" example, but, say, Vint & Naomi's "boudoir" in Mama's basement on Mama's Family. It's seen just a handful of times, spread out over the course of several seasons; would they just leave it up and bring it over when needed, or would they reassemble/disassemble it each time?
I'm pretty sure they would disassemble and reassemble when needed. Studios need space, and there would be no reason to keep a set up if they weren't using it for the rest of the season.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #494
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I'm pretty sure they would disassemble and reassemble when needed. Studios need space, and there would be no reason to keep a set up if they weren't using it for the rest of the season.

Well we know the kitchen/cafeteria/lounge are always up, so I would assume the lounge "hallway" would remain up as well. My question is, why put up a wall to block the view through the kitchen's round window?? That's so odd! I even checked another episode, and you can't see "just a wall" when they show the kitchen-side of the door. Maybe there was some set adjustment or something going on (things stored on the cafeteria set) that gave them cause to block the view with a wall? So odd....
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #495
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,470
Default

I agree it's quite odd.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.