Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Malcolm in the Middle links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Malcolm in the Middle Photo Gallery

Malcolm in the Middle - The Complete First Season

Buy Malcolm in the Middle - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2000s Sitcoms > Malcolm in the Middle
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

UP TV Acquires Growing Pains for January 2015; USA Network Orders Hacker Drama Starring Christian Slater
Week 13 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Charlie Sheen to Appear in The Goldbergs, and Possibly Two and a Half Men?; Becker Finished on DVD
ION Television Expands Hours in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 22, 2014)
FXX to Launch New Late Night Animation Block; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Star to Host Fox Show
Bounce Acquires Sitcoms for January 2015, Roc, Different World, Parent 'Hood, Hughleys; ABC Family Picks Up New Drama Recovery Road
Nick at Nite Adds Everybody Loves Raymond January 1; George Lopez Hosts CW Dog Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

TV Bryan Cranston Explains Why He Turned Down 'Goofy Dad' Roles after "Malcolm" Wrapped

Bryan Cranston on Turning Down 'Goofy Dad' Roles (VIDEO)
by Alex Moaba
posted Oct 6th 2011

On "Today", Matt Lauer had Bryan Cranston on to talk about his current hit show "Breaking Bad".

Lauer also spoke to Cranston about his "Malcolm in the Middle" days and he explained that he turned down 'goofy dad' roles to avoid being type-cast.

When you finished doing "Malcolm in the Middle", from what I understand you were offered similar roles following that.

Goofy dads.

It's hard because actors want to work and support their families. How hard was it to turn those down?

Well I don't really care about my family that much so I was willing to take the risk.

It was very easy to turn down actually because the industry has a tendency to want to pigeon-hole an actor, 'oh, he does drama', 'oh, he does comedy'. I don't want to help them do that so as soon as I'm done with something I want to veer off and do something else.

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/10/06/brya...ing-bad-video/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bryancranston.jpg (13.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.

Looks like that decision worked out quite well for him!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
KurtfromPitts
Forum Regular

Who can blame him?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Good for him. People in the industry can be so ignorant.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
boniface605
Occasional Poster

Seems like Breaking Bad has given him the opportunity to morph from the "goofy dad" type role and move in another direction. Keep him from being type cast and all that.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

Frankly, I disliked Malcolm in the Middle, especially that homely, loud, screaming, harridon of a mother. The kids were little jerks too, with Cranston's character being a typical stupid nit-wit TV father.

I love Breaking Bad and almost did not give it a chance because it had Brian Cranston in it. But everyone said it was so good, and it is. Cranston looks nothing like his previous roles bald.

I saw that interview above and stated the reason he did not want another sitcom was to play a far different roles and that's what he did.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
It's hard because actors want to work and support their families. How hard was it to turn those down?

Well I don't really care about my family that much so I was willing to take the risk.
Good one. Nice to see that he's got such a good sense of humor. I never watched Malcom, but I am hooked on Breaking Bad.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
boniface605
Occasional Poster

At the start of Breaking Bad, I was concerned that it would be the "goofy dad" type cooking. But I was glad to see that he was able to take the character in a different direction.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Hometown of Frasier and Niles Crane, KACL and Cafe Nervosa

Sounds like what David Hyde Pierce does. He's said repeatedly that he tries not to take roles that are too much like Niles Crane and I respect that. It really shows his range as an actor when he takes on different characters. I can see where Bryan Cranston would want to do something completely different. I never watched "Malcom" much but I think Cranston is amazing as Walt in "Breaking Bad"!