Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Farmer's Daughter links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Farmer's Daughter Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Farmer's Daughter
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 18, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fuller House Set for Season 3 Debut on Full House 30th Anniversary

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Here is a page from the May 11, 1986 Detroit Free Press TV Guide. The Farmer's Daughter aired at 1pm on CBN.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Still on CBN's schedule in Nov. 1987. I couldn't find any listings in 1988.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #18
stevea

And a lot of other good stuff, too.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny G
The Farmer's Daughter didn't run on the Family channel in the 90s. It was last run on CBN in the mid-1980s. If it had been on in the 1990s, then there would be more copies floating around because more households had VCRs then.
Also, another factor to poor quality is the dubbing standards back then. There were no DVRs, so making a copy of a TV show required two VCRs hooked up together. One played and the other one recorded. The second copy was called a "second generation" because the picture quality declined. That's how we traded tapes back then. If the person who received the "second generation" tape made a copy for another friend, then that would be called a "third generation" tape, and the picture was even worse, and so on....

Oh, yeah. The quality is a double-whammy. Not only do you have nth generation VHS copies, at SLP speed to jam more on a tape, then you try to jam as much as possible onto a DVR-R.

Even people recording today, direct to a DVD recorder, records at slower speeds, with resulting deteriorated quality.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Ronny G
Forum Regular

This is the earliest CBN listing for The Farmer's Daughter that I can find: Sept. 1985. So, we can conclude that CBN aired the show Sept. 1985 to Nov. 1987.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #21
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Talking Mammary Lane

Ah, memories. Yes, I used to record all kinds of shows with my VCR back in the '80's. But I never started trading till DVD recorders were invented. It was about 2005 when I really started working overtime transferring all my TV shows from tape to DVD so that I could have material that others didn't already have to trade with. I'm the one who got stuck with the lousy looking 9 disc set of Farmer's Daughter. The only thing I can say about it is it's better than nothing. In fact it's not just that the picture quality is poor on some or most of the episodes but the DVDs themselves don't even play on most normal DVD players. In fact the only way I could get 3/4's of all those DVDs to play back was to play it on my Panasonic DVD recorder. They wouldn't play back on any regular DVD player. I was tempted then to re-record them myself onto DVDs so that in the future I would be able to play them back on regular players but the quality was so bad I decided to forget it. I was hoping some day they'd be available commercially.

Speaking of CBN (which later turned into the Family Channel, that's why I called it that) CBN did the same pulling of certain episodes it didn't approve of for Hazel. I recorded Hazel and Father Knows Best from CBN and I remember them skipping past the episode where Hazel believes in luck and her rabbit's foot, never saw that episode (as an adult anyway) till WOR played the Hazel series. Recorded those too. They also edited out the scene where Mr. Griffin goes to a gypsy fortune teller in another episode. Very strict rules they had there. I hate censorship of any kind even from the Godly.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
stevea

Kind of off-topic of FD, but in relation to above, WHMB, a local religious station, used to play I Love Lucy. They would skip two European trip episodes: the one where the little Italian boy shined shoes, and the episode with Lucy in the grape vineyard. I don't know why they skipped the first one, but I figured they skipped the second one due to Lucy probably swearing at the end.

They did play a lot of good stuff, though. I got M3S seasons 6-10, unedited, from there, on MY vintage 2005 Panasonic DVD recorder (still proudly in service).

Also, I know what you mean about getting stuck with lousy DVD sets. That happened to me with Silver Spoons.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #23
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Smile A Gap Here and There Filled

Speaking of My 3 Sons, it was thanks to my CBN/Family Channel recordings that I was able to add some missing early b/w episodes that Nick @ Nite and TV Land skipped over (each and every time they played the b/w's they'd skip the same episodes). Anyway recording the same series over again when different stations played it paid off, I was glad my earlier CBN b/w My 3 Sons recordings helped fill in the gaps when I transferred over to DVD using mainly Nick and TV Lands for sources since they skipped around.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #24
Ronny G
Forum Regular

All this talk about The Farmer's Daughter has made me want to watch the show again, so I pulled out my DVDs the other night and watched a few episodes. I already mentioned that I own the 9-disc set and the 16-disc set, and I wanted to show you the difference between the two. I watched the first season episode #24 entitled, "The Swinger" . The picture quality on the 9-disc set is just horrible The source looks like it's from a personal 16mm reel, which was then transferred to tape over and over several generations and then transferred to DVD. The picture is all washed out. However, the picture quality on the 16-disc set is ten times better. It was obviously recorded from TV because the CBN logo flashes onscreen in the lower corner for a moment. This is just one example. There are other episodes like this. So if you only have the 9-disc set, you should do yourself a favor and try to seek out the 16-disc set because it doesn't look like we'll see this show on an official legitimate DVD soon. Nevertheless, the 9-disc set still has it's perks as it contains 4 episodes not on the 16-disc set.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #25
stevea

When you get these umpteenth (VHS) generation sets, probably recorded on the slowest speed possible, then transferred, squeezing as many onto a DVD as possible, well...fair warning.

1980s cable had its problems, in addition...ghosting, hum bars (now we get pixilation and other problems with digital transmission).

Getting back on topic, I assume since the 16 disc set was recorded off CBN, that the color episodes are actually in color (the 9 disc set, I'd kinda doubt it...).
Old 06-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #26
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Color yes, quality? NO

I can say the 9 disc set does have color episodes of Farmer's D, main problem for me is most of the discs don't even play on normal DVD players, only on my Panasonic would they play, even then on some of the discs the menu wouldn't work right, you had to skip search thru episodes to get to other episodes on the disc. Really they're a mess.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #27
Ronny G
Forum Regular

I guess that depends on the person who made copies of the discs and/or what kind of dubbing equipment or discs they used. Mine were recorded on Hewett Packard discs--not that they are so great, but I haven't had any problems yet. Fingers crossed.