Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
IllinoisTVFan

Default Bullied by professor

I've mentioned the problems I've been having with this program because they have discriminated against me in several ways. First they refused to allow me to enter the advanced program, though I have a 4.0, they made it more difficult for me with this program, etc. Anyway, yesterday I was speaking with several classmates saying that half of the students in the program were idiots and had no business being there. This has been a topic with several of us because we have to post on discussion boards and we deal with the people who post nonsense such as poor grammar, not answering the question we are supposed to, etc.

Long story short the professor overheard my conversation and instead of pulling me aside, or ignoring my comments he decided to attack me in class! He started saying how dare I attack students and that they are just there for education and not everyone is smart. This is a GRADUATE program, they should be smart! He then told me to apologize to my classmates and they even said I wasn't talking about them (I wasn't, I was talking about those who post insanity on the boards). Then he attacked me because I refuse to take a minimum wage job in low income areas. Um no, once again this is supposed to be a job that requires a master's degree, why would I want to work in these areas? I then said I could make that amount at Wal-Mart. He was steaming and he asked me to stay behind so he can talk "some sense". He then started saying because I'm smart (I'm on a full scholarship) that I should be more compassionate towards these students and I should VOLUNTEER TO help them! Where is it written that I am supposed to help people? Then he said I don't have the right temperament for the program because I refuse to take a job in these areas.

When I started the program I made it quite clear I only was interested in the advanced program and was not interested in any jobs working in the ghetto (and we're talking south side of Chicago which is famous for being horrible and dangerous). I also made it quite clear that if I had to work in these areas I would bring a gun and this makes me a horrible person compared to them. Luckily, I just have my second internship to go and I am starting it next week .
IllinoisTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Nothing wrong with having standards.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Nothing wrong with having standards.
True but they gave me such a hard time because I know where I want to work. I think they are mad because so many want to work anywhere but I don't.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan View Post
I've mentioned the problems I've been having with this program because they have discriminated against me in several ways. First they refused to allow me to enter the advanced program, though I have a 4.0, they made it more difficult for me with this program, etc. Anyway, yesterday I was speaking with several classmates saying that half of the students in the program were idiots and had no business being there. This has been a topic with several of us because we have to post on discussion boards and we deal with the people who post nonsense such as poor grammar, not answering the question we are supposed to, etc.

Long story short the professor overheard my conversation and instead of pulling me aside, or ignoring my comments he decided to attack me in class! He started saying how dare I attack students and that they are just there for education and not everyone is smart. This is a GRADUATE program, they should be smart! He then told me to apologize to my classmates and they even said I wasn't talking about them (I wasn't, I was talking about those who post insanity on the boards). Then he attacked me because I refuse to take a minimum wage job in low income areas. Um no, once again this is supposed to be a job that requires a master's degree, why would I want to work in these areas? I then said I could make that amount at Wal-Mart. He was steaming and he asked me to stay behind so he can talk "some sense". He then started saying because I'm smart (I'm on a full scholarship) that I should be more compassionate towards these students and I should VOLUNTEER TO help them! Where is it written that I am supposed to help people? Then he said I don't have the right temperament for the program because I refuse to take a job in these areas.

When I started the program I made it quite clear I only was interested in the advanced program and was not interested in any jobs working in the ghetto (and we're talking south side of Chicago which is famous for being horrible and dangerous). I also made it quite clear that if I had to work in these areas I would bring a gun and this makes me a horrible person compared to them. Luckily, I just have my second internship to go and I am starting it next week .
My opinion whether you like it or not: they are discriminating you, but you are hardly helping matters by viciously attacking students behind their backs. If it were you instead of them, I bet you'd ask for whoever did it to be expelled! Bullying isn't going to make your situation better. And you should apologize to the students you were calling idiots, that's just downright uncalled for. Why not just leave them alone and let them worry about themselves? I have to agree with your professor on this one, and if you're so dang concerned, you should try to help them instead of labeling them. And it also sounds to me like your professor and faculty aren't saying you'd be permanently in this job, sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Sometimes even geniuses don't get the jobs they desire right off, sometimes you just have to give it time. I hope you do well on your internship, but sometimes you just can't be choosy. And also, I am not attacking, just offering some constructive criticism in how I feel. I feel like sometimes you should take the first job you find regardless of pay to have some experience, because that's also really important.
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them

Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234 View Post
My opinion whether you like it or not: they are discriminating you, but you are hardly helping matters by viciously attacking students behind their backs. If it were you instead of them, I bet you'd ask for whoever did it to be expelled! Bullying isn't going to make your situation better. And you should apologize to the students you were calling idiots, that's just downright uncalled for. Why not just leave them alone and let them worry about themselves? I have to agree with your professor on this one, and if you're so dang concerned, you should try to help them instead of labeling them. And it also sounds to me like your professor and faculty aren't saying you'd be permanently in this job, sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Sometimes even geniuses don't get the jobs they desire right off, sometimes you just have to give it time. I hope you do well on your internship, but sometimes you just can't be choosy. And also, I am not attacking, just offering some constructive criticism in how I feel. I feel like sometimes you should take the first job you find regardless of pay to have some experience, because that's also really important.
I didn't say any names, just that there are too many idiots. This is a fact, it's a graduate program and they shouldn't be allowing in people who aren't at graduate level. Besides, I wasn't the only one discussing these students, other classmates have mentioned them as well, I've even been at meetings where faculty was mentioning how they need to get rid of these students because they drag down the classes and many students complain. There are tutors available if they need help. I don't know if you know how bad the south side of Chicago is but it's very dangerous and I am likely to get shot at. Not all of the south side of course is bad but the areas they mentioned are extremely dangerous, plus the salaries are horrible so I would be paid a paltry salary to risk my life. I can't do it and I know it I wouldn't be happy working these jobs (which would affect my job). I like where I am working my internship but if I don't get hired there I'll likely head back to school for Spanish (I am doing an online teaching certificate as well). I'm unhappy about this program to be honest and have become bitter because of it. I would have dropped out if I wasn't so close to graduating. I was happy at first, getting involved and volunteering for things but once they rejected me, I stopped volunteering to help. Part of the reason they rejected me is because of religion. I found this out by someone who works in the department.