Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Mad About You links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Mad About You Photo Gallery

Mad About You - The Complete First Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete First Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Second Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Third Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mad About You Collection

Buy The Mad About You Collection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Mad About You
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Smartboy

Default Another Show Forgotten

Over on the "Caroline in the City" page, I just posted a thread called "A Show Forgotten". I have really scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of ideas to stimulate some conversation about that fine series! One of the reasons for this could be that it only lasted four seasons. This one, however, lasted for seven and I do not seem to be having any success here either! Another difference is that, with that show, only two seasons worth of DVDs have been released in this country and there dose not seem to be any prospect for any more. With this show, there are already three seasons released as well as the collectors episodes. Incidentially, I own all of the above! On top of this, I understand that the fourth season is on its way. This is certainly something that I am looking forward to! Maybe when it comes out, things will pick up here again!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
TMC
Forum Veteran

I just came here to post about how Mad About You in general, seems to be one of those TV shows that while hugely popular during its original or initial run, seems to have become forgotten or past over (like in syndicated reruns or DVD sales and what not) in the insuring years. In a way, I suppose, it was NBC's '90s equivalent to Murphy Brown from that perspective:
http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts...8670/maddening

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...=1#post2879948

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2.../mad-about-you

http://flavorwire.com/197921/10-popu...ually-terrible
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Smartboy

In the first place, I am very happy to see that, after all of this time, a thread that I started actually generated a reply! On top of that, I can see where the other poster is coming from in terms of "Mad About You" not having had much of a life after its initial run. The last two seasons never even made it to DVD. However, there is one thing that sticks out in my mind about one of the few times that it was on in syndication. The announcer who was promoting it mentioned various things that the audience might be might about. Such as the dog or learning new tricks. During the commercial, one thing that he actually mentioned as something that we might be mad about is Fran's Tush! We then saw a brief segment of an episode in which Fran was wearing sweat pants and said in her usual bold Fran like manner "feel my ass"! She was talking to both Paul and Jamie when she made this command. She was looking for one or more complements regarding how toned up she had become as a result of her exercises. I remember the point in which the announcer mentioned being mad about Fran's tush and thinking to myself that Fran's tush in certainly something that I am mad about!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Aren't reruns airing on FXX?

I just wish someone would hurry up and release seasons 6 & 7!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
cleverfun3000

I've seen this show at least 15 times over it's 7 year run and I can say it was a lousy, lousy show. Helen Hunt is even more unattractive as a leading lady than SJP and her voice was like broken glass on on a chalkboard. Her eyes were sqiunty and her hair just lay on her head. Sure she was a great actress, but she had absolutely no chemistry with Paul what's-his-name. I occasionally tuned in over the years as the show (for lack of a better word) developed and the stories were trite and she refused to cooperate with the make-up artist on the set. I'd rather watch a test pattern than this show.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverfun3000
I've seen this show at least 15 times over it's 7 year run and I can say it was a lousy, lousy show. Helen Hunt is even more unattractive as a leading lady than SJP and her voice was like broken glass on on a chalkboard. Her eyes were sqiunty and her hair just lay on her head. Sure she was a great actress, but she had absolutely no chemistry with Paul what's-his-name. I occasionally tuned in over the years as the show (for lack of a better word) developed and the stories were trite and she refused to cooperate with the make-up artist on the set. I'd rather watch a test pattern than this show.

MUES Reviews Mad About You

Last edited by TMC : 01-16-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Veteran

Somebody on TVTropes deleted my entry of Mad About You in the Deader than Disco: Live-Action Television page:
Quote:
* ''Series/MadAboutYou'' won a Golden Globe Award, a Peabody Award, a Genesis Award, received five Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Comedy Series, and was chosen Best Quality Comedy by the Viewers for Quality Television. Helen Hunt won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress Comedy Series four years in a row (19961999). And yet, out of its seven seasons, only five have to date been released to DVD due to music licensing issues. The show in itself has pretty much been largely forgotten in comparison to its NBC contemporaries ''Series/{{Seinfeld****'', ''Series/{{Friends****'', and ''Series/{{Frasier****''. Arguably one major factor working against ''Mad About You'' is that seemingly captured a very specific time in the '90s. But with the real world New Yorkers no longer being against that backdrop, the characters on ''Mad About You'' (Paul and Jamie Buchman could, in essence, be regarded as the ultimate 90s yuppie couple) just seem irrelevant and self absorbed. Complex.com suggested that ''Mad About You'' defined 'dry, white sitcom' and came off as very poor man's ''Seinfeld'' (albeit far less engaging).
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
Over on the "Caroline in the City" page, I just posted a thread called "A Show Forgotten".

I found this funny because when people were posting their 100 favorite sitcoms, I had Caroline in the City and then swapped it out for this.

I'd guess there's 20 or so very funny episodes of this. Doesn't sound like many, but most shows don't get that far.

Last edited by Alan Brady's Hair : 04-07-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
I found this funny because when people were posting their 100 favorite sitcoms, I had Caroline in the City and then swapped it out for this.

I'd guess there's 20 or so very funny episodes of this. Doesn't sound like many, but most shows don't get that far.

Very nice to hear from you! It is always nice to meet another fan of this fine show!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Mad About You is an underrated show that's a lot better than the more popular show it spun off (Friends).
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #11
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
Mad About You is an underrated show that's a lot better than the more popular show it spun off (Friends).

Although I like "Friends" a lot, I will agree that "Mad About You" is a little bit better. In my opinion, Lisa Kudrow did an excellent job in her roles in both series!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #12
veggie-tari-jenn
SARCASTIC COUPON PRINCESS!!

Quote:
Although I like "Friends" a lot, I will agree that "Mad About You" is a little bit better. In my opinion, Lisa Kudrow did an excellent job in her roles in both series!

I sorta agree with you....mad about you was better than friends...but I think everything is better than friends...never liked or watched friends.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-tari-jenn
I sorta agree with you....mad about you was better than friends...but I think everything is better than friends...never liked or watched friends.

I see. Is there anything in particular about "Friends" that you especially disliked?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
In the first place, I am very happy to see that, after all of this time, a thread that I started actually generated a reply!

Wow, you have a lot of topics for this show with 0 replies. Congrats on hanging in there.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Wow, you have a lot of topics for this show with 0 replies. Congrats on hanging in there.

Very pleased to have met you. Thank you very much for your words of support!