Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Angie (Sitcoms Online / Angie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Angie Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Angie

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
Thanks for sharing this info about the book! It sounds interesting!

Andrea

I tried ordering it yesterday but amazon was all out of stock
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by those70sshows
I heard quite a few times that Angie was doing very well in the ratings. ABC was trying to find the perfect time slot for the sagging ratings of laverne & shirley. Angie ended up moving from different nights and airtimes and the ratings went down due to viewers not knowing when it was on. So it was up to cancelling laverne & shirley or Angie and Gary Marshall had alot of power at abc and so they decided to keep penny marshall's show and cancel angie
This is true. I went to the Hollywood Collector's show over the weekend and met Donna Pescow. According to Donna, ABC and so many hit shows at the time they didn't know what to do with Angie. The show bounced around and was cancelled.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
This is true. I went to the Hollywood Collector's show over the weekend and met Donna Pescow. According to Donna, ABC and so many hit shows at the time they didn't know what to do with Angie. The show bounced around and was cancelled.

I'm just amazed that a show that finished in the Top 5 in the first season was not given more than a year to bounce back by ABC-lol
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Yeah it's a shame. I bet if it had been now they'd jump at the chance to find it a place on the schedule. They seemed snobbish at the time.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Maybe Garry Marshall was given a choice of which show to save and since L&S had been a major hit and his sister starred in it, he chose that one. He probably made the wrong choice because L&S's best years were behind them and Angie was still growing.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #21
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
Thanks for sharing this info about the book! It sounds interesting!

Andrea
i have that book i highly recommend it
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #22
Don Howard
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i have that book i highly recommend it
Thanks to the posted link, I've just ordered it and am looking forward to its arrival. Appreciate the info.
Don Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I'm going to see if I can find the book on Ebay, because it will be CHEAPER and delivered a lot FASTER
Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
Don Howard
Frequent Poster

While it's an interesting book, be aware there are quite a few errors contained within. For one, it was Harold Gould who played Howard in the Love, American Style episode, not Tom Bosley. Also, the title of that episode was Love And The Happy Days and not Love In The Happy Days. In addition, the last episode of Happy Days did not run on November 11, 1983 as claimed. It ran original shows through 1984. Also, the second season started in 1974, not 1975. Plus, Al Molinaro did not come to Arnold's in the second season; it was the fourth. Further, The Cop And The Kid began in December 1975; not September 1975. Just a taste of the many errors within the tome. The behind-the-scenes tales remain good, but if one is going to put dates on these things, they should be accurate. And it's not that hard to check.
Don Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Howard
While it's an interesting book, be aware there are quite a few errors contained within. For one, it was Harold Gould who played Howard in the Love, American Style episode, not Tom Bosley. Also, the title of that episode was Love And The Happy Days and not Love In The Happy Days. In addition, the last episode of Happy Days did not run on November 11, 1983 as claimed. It ran original shows through 1984. Also, the second season started in 1974, not 1975. Plus, Al Molinaro did not come to Arnold's in the second season; it was the fourth. Further, The Cop And The Kid began in December 1975; not September 1975. Just a taste of the many errors within the tome. The behind-the-scenes tales remain good, but if one is going to put dates on these things, they should be accurate. And it's not that hard to check.

Well I'm not buying the book then, that is way too many errors for me to take anything seriously that was printed in that book. And you was right Cop and the Kid started the same onth as the Sanford and Son spinoff-"grady". Thanks but no thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #26
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I didn't know why the producers/writers felt the need for Angie to dump the coffee shop and buy a hair salon.

And sad that ABC felt the need to dump a hit show.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #27
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
I didn't know why the producers/writers felt the need for Angie to dump the coffee shop and buy a hair salon.

And sad that ABC felt the need to dump a hit show.
So true - what a shame, and a waste of a good cast.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 AM   #28
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1972
No secret, I was just too lazy to look up the title:

Happier Days: Paramount Television's Classic Sitcoms 1974-1984

http://www.amazon.com/Happier-Days-P...9810247&sr=8-2
I've flipped through this book a couple of times but never got to read it the whole way through. The local library has it so I may check it out next time I'm there.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #29
Jude The Obscure
Retired

And oddly this same ABC brought back Angie YEARS later for daytime summer reruns!!

Too bad Donna and Robert Hays don't get together and do a new "Angie and Brad" sitcom.....shoot Doris Roberts could be back as Angie's mom!
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #30
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
And oddly this same ABC brought back Angie YEARS later for daytime summer reruns!!

Too bad Donna and Robert Hays don't get together and do a new "Angie and Brad" sitcom.....shoot Doris Roberts could be back as Angie's mom!
Yes, Doris went on to not one but TWO successful shows - Remington Steele and of course, ELR. What a comedic gem that woman is.