Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

A Different World links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / A Different World Photo Gallery

A Different World - Season 1

Buy A Different World - Season 1 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > A Different World

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 10, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE
Cool American Ballroom Dancing hosted by JASMINE GUY

I happened to catch this show on PBS last week and wanted to share this with the ADW fans. Jasmine Guy apparently is the co-host of this dancing contest. I love to watch DANCING WITH THE STARS and since one of the male dancers was going to compete on this, I decided to tune in. Imagine my shock seeing Jasmine!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchal...ion-hosts.html

The host of America's Ballroom Challenge is Jasmine Guy, an actress, dancer, and singer whose career has included many leading roles on television, in feature films, and on the stage.

Ms. Guy is best known for playing Whitley Gilbert, the memorably spoiled Southern belle in the comedy series A Different World, which ran on NBC from 1987 to 1993. Ms. Guy won six consecutive NAACP Image Awards for the role.

But Ms. Guy actually began her performing career as a dancer. Though born in Boston, she grew up in Atlanta, where her father, Rev. William Guy, was the pastor of the historic Friendship Baptist Church. Jasmine began taking ballet lessons at age 5 and, inspired by performers like the visiting Dance Theater of Harlem, she went on to study dance at Atlanta's performing arts high school. At 17, she won a scholarship to join the Alvin Ailey American Dance Center in New York City, where she spent three years as a concert dancer.

In 1982, Ms. Guy took a leave from the Ailey company to play a dancer on the opening season of the NBC series Fame. The role introduced her to Los Angeles, to televisionóand to Debbie Allen, the actress/singer/dancer/choreographer who would become a role model for her own multifaceted performing career. Ms. Guy returned to New York but soon left the Ailey company for the stage, appearing as a singer and dancer in musicals like Dancin' in the Street, Bubbling Brown Sugar, The Wiz, and Broadway's Leader of the Pack.

While working for A Different World back in Los Angeles, Ms. Guy began to land film roles as well. In 1988, Spike Lee chose her for a part in School Daze, starring Laurence Fishburne. A year later she appeared with Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor in Murphy's 1989 gangster spoof Harlem Nights.

Since completing her run as Whitley Gilbert, Ms. Guy has divided her time between stage and screen. She appeared with Halle Berry, Martin Sheen, and Paul Winfield in the 1993 Alex Haley miniseries Queen and later had guest appearances on many series, including Melrose Place, NYPD Blue, and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. After marrying and giving birth to daughter Imani in 1999, she returned to the stage, winning acclaim for her portrayal of Velma Kelly in Bob Fosse's Chicago in performances all across America. Back on television in 2003, she starred alongside Mandy Patinkin in Showtime's two-year hit series Dead Like Me. She will reprise her role in a movie version due out in 2008.

In 2004, Ms. Guy published Evolution of a Revolutionary, an absorbing profile of Afeni Shakur, the mother of slain rap star Tupac Shakur. Ms. Guy is active in many charities, including A Place Called Home, a community safe house that offers food, security, sports, music, and educational activities to more than 2,000 children in south central Los Angeles. Among the center's offerings is a dance school, founded by Ms. Guy and now run by her sister Monica.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to host America's Ballroom Challenge, because it's like returning to my roots," Ms. Guy says. "I'm fortunate to have had many different kinds of roles as a performer. But for me it all began with dancing. That was my first love. So I'm very pleased to be joining a show that celebrates the very finest in ballroom dancing."
Old 07-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Brieannas21

That just goes to show, just because you do not see TV actors on sitcoms a lot, does not mean that they arenít working. She has had a busy life.

I hate I missed her on PBS...Damn my husband
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
That just goes to show, just because you do not see TV actors on sitcoms a lot, does not mean that they arenít working. She has had a busy life.

I hate I missed her on PBS...Damn my husband
Yep, she has had a busy time.
What was your husband watching?
You can catch the next show, just check the PBS schedule or the American Ballroom dancing website for the next episode.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
Yep, she has had a busy time.
What was your husband watching?
You can catch the next show, just check the PBS schedule or the American Ballroom dancing website for the next episode.

I will check to see if I can find it this week.

My husband, dumb ass cancelled our DirecTV last Saturday. AT&T called our house and bamboozled him into this new cable thing...He heard about the channels that they were offering and he lost his damn mind. I come home from shopping last weekend, turn on the TV and all I saw was blackness. I was PISSED OFF
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I will check to see if I can find it this week.

My husband, dumb ass cancelled our DirecTV last Saturday. AT&T called our house and bamboozled him into this new cable thing...He heard about the channels that they were offering and he lost his damn mind. I come home from shopping last weekend, turn on the TV and all I saw was blackness. I was PISSED OFF
Ohhhhhh man. He was conned!!!!! He had a Cliff Huxtable moment. Can you cancel?

I know around here my boyfriend would not make any changes. As he tells people on the phone, "She's the boss."
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Brieannas21

Quote:
Ohhhhhh man. He was conned!!!!! He had a Cliff Huxtable moment. Can you cancel?

I know around here my boyfriend would not make any changes. As he tells people on the phone, "She's the boss."

No because it's a package deal it has our phone internet and cable rolled into one. So if we were to cancelled we'll have to pay anyway because he changed our package. I don't watch that much tv...But dammit talk to me before you start changing things. I was pissed off up until Friday,and thats only because we had people over Friday and Saturday.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
No because it's a package deal it has our phone internet and cable rolled into one. So if we were to cancelled we'll have to pay anyway because he changed our package. I don't watch that much tv...But dammit talk to me before you start changing things. I was pissed off up until Friday,and thats only because we had people over Friday and Saturday.
I feel for ya girlfriend. I would have been very upset too.

I hear that, "TALK TO ME FIRST!" I can imagine how it must have been, having people over and having to talk to your husband.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Brieannas21

Quote:
I can imagine how it must have been, having people over and having to talk to your husband.
Exactly