Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative
Critics' Choice Awards Set for January on The CW; IFC Sets New Episodes for Documentary Now!
NBC Orders More Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Disney Gets Another Multi-Cam Sitcom
COZI TV Adds The Office in January 2019; Remembering Burt Reynolds and Bill Daily

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #31
McGillicuddy

Some of these inconsistancies, like Rose's allergies to cats I can deal with, but the big ones especially involving family members and number of children, thats just annoying! You would think the actresses themselves would have spoken up about it!

Last edited by McGillicuddy; 03-03-2012 at 12:13 AM.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #32
Michael1973
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markway895
I may be wrong, but I don't think that whole storyline with the witness protection program had come into play yet.
Probably not, but even so, Miles supposedly entered the program before meeting Rose. Which means he should have been in it the entire time he was on the show (even before the writers dreamed up the idea!).
Michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
patrickinstardom
Occasional Poster

It was weird how Blanche during the episode where Rose is getting tested for HIV, takes her aside and tells her how she used to be promiscuous and had a talk with herself about seeing so many men, and how she now only sleeps with men after checking with them about their record and I think seeing "on paper" the results (I don't know if she said it had to be on paper, but she was serious about it)...

Anyway, throughout the series, Blanche has many moments where she can't wait to jump into bed with a complete stranger. In addition, references are made to her sleeping with a plumber who just came over, a guy who wrote the address on the curb, a doctor, etc. (These are all implied to be one-night stands with total strangers) It's obviously exaggerated for the comedy of the show, but I always thought that she wouldn't have time to talk about the medical side of their sex life before jumping into bed with many of the men she dates.

I guess the serious aspects of being a slut and the comedy of being a slut didn't go together. ;-)

Just my thoughts.
patrickinstardom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #34
PepeB
Occasional Poster

Default Days & Nights

I don't know how many of you have noticed that many times they say it's almost dark, but it's clearly sunny outside like when they're in the kitchen.
They haven't been thinking a lot about that little thing

Other thing is that there is only ONE clock in that huge house and it's in the kitchen. You can see it once in season 1 but in other seasons I haven't seen it.
It's right next to a stove. Weird that there's only one clock
PepeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #35
JL82
Frequent Poster

Contradicting stories about Stan's affairs:

Kate's Wedding - the first Dorothy heard he was leaving was when the lawyer called

the one about Stan's surgery - this is the first she has heard of any affairs except the one he left her for

When Kate comes to visit because her husband has cheated, Dorothy says, "I'll never forget when Stan told me he was having an affair." Later in the same episode, Sophia recalls Stan coming home on their first anniversary with lipstick on his collar (meaning Dorothy couldn't have been referring to Chrissy, the one he left her for)

the one about Stan's fiance, Katherine, Blanche is listing Stan's mistakes, and she mentions leaving Dorothy for the younger women, but no other affairs

When Stan is trying to get Dorothy to go to his reception dinner, he says "there were some good times in our marriage." And Dorothy says, "until I found out about them." Implying that at some point in the marriage she found out about all the affairs.

When Sophia doesn't want Dorothy and Stan to remarry, she says "you spent the entire marriage cheating on us both."
JL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL82
Contradicting stories about Stan's affairs:

Kate's Wedding - the first Dorothy heard he was leaving was when the lawyer called

the one about Stan's surgery - this is the first she has heard of any affairs except the one he left her for

When Kate comes to visit because her husband has cheated, Dorothy says, "I'll never forget when Stan told me he was having an affair." Later in the same episode, Sophia recalls Stan coming home on their first anniversary with lipstick on his collar (meaning Dorothy couldn't have been referring to Chrissy, the one he left her for)

the one about Stan's fiance, Katherine, Blanche is listing Stan's mistakes, and she mentions leaving Dorothy for the younger women, but no other affairs

When Stan is trying to get Dorothy to go to his reception dinner, he says "there were some good times in our marriage." And Dorothy says, "until I found out about them." Implying that at some point in the marriage she found out about all the affairs.

When Sophia doesn't want Dorothy and Stan to remarry, she says "you spent the entire marriage cheating on us both."
Did Stan ever marry Chrissy, or was Katherine his only other wife, besides Dorothy?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #37
JL82
Frequent Poster

I also can't believe that, with all the episodes about Dorothy and Stan, and all the (relatively consistent) history about him being unfaithful, that Dorothy was willing to continue seeing a man she had found out was married, and that she screamed at Rose for being judgemental. Yes, I know part of the point of the show is that they all make mistakes, but it was like she didn't remember what she'd been through in her marriage. It's not that I expect Dorothy to be moral all the time, just that, I would have thought she'd put herself in the wife's shoes the minute she knew there was a wife. And for all Sophia's disapproval of the Dorothy-Glenn affair, she didn't remind Dorothy about her marriage.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
McGillicuddy

Quote:
I also can't believe that, with all the episodes about Dorothy and Stan, and all the (relatively consistent) history about him being unfaithful, that Dorothy was willing to continue seeing a man she had found out was married, and that she screamed at Rose for being judgemental. Yes, I know part of the point of the show is that they all make mistakes, but it was like she didn't remember what she'd been through in her marriage. It's not that I expect Dorothy to be moral all the time, just that, I would have thought she'd put herself in the wife's shoes the minute she knew there was a wife. And for all Sophia's disapproval of the Dorothy-Glenn affair, she didn't remind Dorothy about her marriage.
But Dorothy eventually "got it" when Glenn's wife called him and he told her he was alone, while he actually was with Dorothy in the hotel room. It was at THAT point that Dorothy realized SHE was "the other woman", when Glenn lied to his wife, and said he wasn't ready to leave her for Dorothy. So ultimately she knew Sophia and Rose were right.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #39
JL82
Frequent Poster

markway....two different episodes:

"That Was No Lady": Glenn is married...his wife never calls in that one...Dorothy eventually breaks up with him because she feels like the relationship has no future, and she tells him "it's not for me," but never self-righteously.

"Cheaters": Glenn is supposedly divorced, and wants to marry Dorothy. That's when his wife calls and he says he's alone. Dorothy thinks he just wants to marry her so as not to be alone. (That's consistent, at least, because he says in the earlier one that he's too afraid of being alone to leave his wife.)

Was I the only one that doubted, watching "Cheaters," that he really was divorced?

I still find it odd that Dorothy was willing to tolerate being "the other woman," even for a little while, that she didn't think a guy who would do that was a loser - because that's what she says about Stan, and about son-in-law Dennis, when he cheats.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #40
McGillicuddy

Quote:
markway....two different episodes:

"That Was No Lady": Glenn is married...his wife never calls in that one...Dorothy eventually breaks up with him because she feels like the relationship has no future, and she tells him "it's not for me," but never self-righteously.

"Cheaters": Glenn is supposedly divorced, and wants to marry Dorothy. That's when his wife calls and he says he's alone. Dorothy thinks he just wants to marry her so as not to be alone. (That's consistent, at least, because he says in the earlier one that he's too afraid of being alone to leave his wife.)

Was I the only one that doubted, watching "Cheaters," that he really was divorced?

I still find it odd that Dorothy was willing to tolerate being "the other woman," even for a little while, that she didn't think a guy who would do that was a loser - because that's what she says about Stan, and about son-in-law Dennis, when he cheats.
I guess I didn't realize Glenn was in two different episodes! I need to check them out again, (I have all the seasons on dvd) and brush up on my GG knowledge! I'm slipping!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #41
JL82
Frequent Poster

Here's another one I only thought of recently.

Rose is pretty consistently portrayed as kind of puritanical...but in the episode about the artist, she is just as excited as the other girls about posing for Lazlo, and just as eager that he pick her to sculpt. Now, my understanding is they're all posing nude. She doesn't really know him. But in the last season, the episode, "Rose: Portrait of a Woman," she is very "shy" even with her long-term boyfriend. She's mortified when his guy friends see her in a somewhat naughty outfit (that's understandable) and she tells Blanche even Miles doesn't really "see her" because they "do it" in the dark.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #42
JL82
Frequent Poster

I've posted this before (we have a couple of threads about bloopers), but - even though Rose dates Miles pretty consistently through Seasons 5, 6, and 7there are also episodes in those seasons where it seems like she's not in a relationship:

- when she brings the puppy home, Blanche tells her to get a man instead, and Rose says she doesn't want one

- she goes up for auction with the other "bachelorettes" in "Love for Sale"

- she goes out with her old boyfriend Thor (whom she doesn't remember). She's mortified that she doesn't remember him, but it never seems to occur to her to tell him she's involved with someone.

- and in the last two, two-part episodes, "Home Again, Rose" and the finale, those are both big events in Rose's life - and Miles isn't around, nor does she ever talk about where he comes in, i.e., she never thinks about her future with him as part of deciding where to move when Dorothy leaves.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
An issue that always bothered me was that they used Harold Gould as Myles and then in earlier episodes as Arnie.....! Rose dated them both, but they were the same actor! What, did they think we wouldnt remember that it was the same guy?
I don't mind the re-use of actors so much. All actors play lots of different roles (if they're any good.) It bothered me more when the SAME character was played by two DIFFERENT actors (who may not even look anything alike.) Although I do kind of wish that Miles had said his other name was Arnie instead of Nick!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #44
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1973
Probably not, but even so, Miles supposedly entered the program before meeting Rose. Which means he should have been in it the entire time he was on the show (even before the writers dreamed up the idea!).
It would have helped if they had just made the witness protection program story the last couple of episodes of the series involving Miles. The way they did it, you have episodes in Season 5 and early Season 6 about everyday relationship issues, all of which somewhat go with one another. Then this witness protection program story, that ends with this big "we'll-live-happily-ever-after-and-never-be-parted-again scene." Then in Season 7, not only is he still Miles and still a professor, but they go back to the everyday relationship issues, and some of the time it seems like they're not sure they want to be together. But Rose never worries any more about being with someone with that past. It's like the witness protection program story was dropped in from another series.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #45
SueAnn_Rose
Sue Ann Nivens BFF
Forum Regular

You know what bothers me so much is the fact that they kept writing Miles differently at many times and I agree with all of you who were talking about Miles and his inconsistintsies of the character.

There are so many things on this show that aren't right and I think maybe the writers towards the end of the show started to get lazy and ended up writing or in this situation rewriting the history of the characters.

Other than this the show was a hit cause it was hilarious. The writing might have been screwed up but the comedy was brilliant.
SueAnn_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote