Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Smallscreen
Occasional Poster

Actress Nan Martin played two roles. She played Frieda Claxton (the lady Rose killed) and Philomena (the lady from Sicily who may be Dorothy's real mother).
Smallscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
yankeesfan82
Marc B
Frequent Poster

Actor George Grizzard played Jaime, the brother of Blanches late husband George. He also played George in Blanches dream that he staged his death.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
LauraNamesake
Oh Rob!!!
Forum Regular

The one that bothered me the most was Harould Gould playing Arnie and Miles. I was like "that doesn't make sense!"
Also, in one of my favorite episodes "Break In," Rose mentions she is from Little Falls. But in all the other episodes it is stated (quite clearly) that she is from St. Olaf.

Sorry, this is about the Golden Palace, but Miles gets married to this lady Fern. Miles is played by Harould Gould--Harould Gould played Rhoda Morgenstern's father on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Rhoda. Fern is played by Nanette Fabrey--Nanette Fabrey played Mary Richards mother in The MTM Show. Rhoda's father married Mary's mother??? I'm sorry but when acting role choices get to close to other shows it confuses me!!!

MR. GRANT: (sarcasticly) Hey Mary, do you think a single raw carrot will put any more ugly fat on my body?
MARY: Not if you STICK IT UP YOUR NOSE.
MR. GRANT: What did you say?
MARY: Nothing, I said nothing.
~The Mary Tyler Moore Show

ROB: He said you were lovely!
LAURA: How did he know?!?!?!?!
--The Dick Van Dyke Show

I X3 Dick Van Dyke!!!

LauraNamesake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
Sven
Golden Girls Database
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Sven Send a message via MSN to Sven Send a message via Yahoo to Sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraNamesake
The one that bothered me the most was Harould Gould playing Arnie and Miles. I was like "that doesn't make sense!"
Agreed. This was probably the stupidest blooper the writer's did. I dont understand how they thought that the viewers wouldnt notice this?? The other actors that played two parts werent as noticable, but the Arnie/Myles character was just ridiculous.
Here's a list of actors that played more than one part in the show that Ive noticed:

Nan Martin: Freida Claxton & Philomena
Bill Dana: Uncle Angelo & Sophia's Father
Bea Arthur: Dorothy & Sophia's Mother
Chik Venera: Enrique Mass & Kid Pepe
Harold Gould: Arnie Petersen & Myles Webber(Nick Carbone)
George Grizzard: George Devereaux & Jamie Devereaux
Sid Melton: Sal Petrillo & Don the Fool
Flo Di Re: Gina & Young Sophia Petrillo
Paul Dooley: Issac Q. Newton & George Corliss
Lloyd Bochner: Patrick Vaughn & Edurado
Alan Blumenfield: Lou(Plumber) & Mr. HA HA
Nat Bernstein: Dr. Wallerstein & Emily's Father (baby they babysat)
Ralph Ahn: Jim Shu & Yakamora

Thats all of the ones at least that I have noticed.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
JetA
Occasional Poster

There is also an episode where you can see equipment. I can't remember what episode it is right now, but I'll post again as soon as I see it (which shouldn't be long as I watch them every day). I remember that Rose is standing in the living room right outside the kitchen door facing into the living room. As she's talking, you can for a second see the bottom of a black microphone move drop down over the top of her head barely into the camera's view. It was really weird the first time I noticed it because it reminded me that the house was a set and not really a house. lol
JetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
Karen197488
The Golden Girls 1985-1992
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Agreed. This was probably the stupidest blooper the writer's did. I dont understand how they thought that the viewers wouldnt notice this?? The other actors that played two parts werent as noticable, but the Arnie/Myles character was just ridiculous.
Here's a list of actors that played more than one part in the show that Ive noticed:

Nan Martin: Freida Claxton & Philomena
Bill Dana: Uncle Angelo & Sophia's Father
Bea Arthur: Dorothy & Sophia's Mother
Chik Venera: Enrique Mass & Kid Pepe
Harold Gould: Arnie Petersen & Myles Webber(Nick Carbone)
George Grizzard: George Devereaux & Jamie Devereaux
Sid Melton: Sal Petrillo & Don the Fool
Flo Di Re: Gina & Young Sophia Petrillo
Paul Dooley: Issac Q. Newton & George Corliss
Lloyd Bochner: Patrick Vaughn & Edurado
Alan Blumenfield: Lou(Plumber) & Mr. HA HA
Nat Bernstein: Dr. Wallerstein & Emily's Father (baby they babysat)
Ralph Ahn: Jim Shu & Yakamora

Thats all of the ones at least that I have noticed.
Philph Sterling: Dr. Barensfield & Dr. Ashley
Karen197488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
McGillicuddy

Heres one thats really screwed up: I remember watching an episode of Empty Nest after the character of Sophia was added to the show. She had moved back to the Shady Pines rest home, and Sid Melton had the role of another resident, instead of Salvadore.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
ratherbwatchinGG
Frequent Poster

I believe that is the episode where Dorothy's daughter gets married. You can see the camera come into the shot out on the lanai. Also in the Operation, you can see the microphone come down when Sophia walks into the livingroom from the bedroom when Rose and Blanche are dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetA
There is also an episode where you can see equipment. I can't remember what episode it is right now, but I'll post again as soon as I see it (which shouldn't be long as I watch them every day). I remember that Rose is standing in the living room right outside the kitchen door facing into the living room. As she's talking, you can for a second see the bottom of a black microphone move drop down over the top of her head barely into the camera's view. It was really weird the first time I noticed it because it reminded me that the house was a set and not really a house. lol
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #24
mrcashmanmiller
Occasional Poster

well in all fairness, about the cat ones, I'm not saying that it wasn't a writing blooper as I'm sure it indeed was, however I am allergic to cats but I take allergy pills and I own two cats.
mrcashmanmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #25
shocolah
Bring Back The Wonder Years!!!
Forum Regular

Two bloopers I cannot get over and never will (both age-related):
Dorothy said her grandmother died at the age of 94 when she was 6 ...the same grandmother Dorothy (Bea) played in a flashback in a wheel chair back in Brooklyn. The other is Michael. First he's 29, then a year or so later he's 23, then he's 30 (he was on three times).
shocolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #26
JL82
Frequent Poster

We've agreed elsewhere that the girls' mistakes, and character flaws, are not bloopers - they're not perfect and that makes them human. But have you ever noticed how their advice to each other is often at odds with their own reactions in similar situations.

Sophia counsels Blanche to accept her brother Clayton falling in love with another man and holding a commitment ceremony - that it's no different than Blanche wanting to make a lifetime, public, commitment to George. But then Sophia is so embarrassed about Phil's cross-dressing. No, cross-dressing is not the same as being gay, but I guess I have a hard time with someone being so enlightened about one and so embarrassed about the other. And Sophia implied she wouldn't want Phil to be gay either, when she asks in the funeral episode, "was he queer?"

Blanche can see how cruel her daughter's boyfriend, Jeremy is, but can't see it when Rex Huntington treats her the same way.

Sophia also counsels Dorothy not to meddle between Kate and Dennis, even though Sophia never stopped trying to tell Dorothy what to do about Stan, or other men.

I can think of at least three times when Blanche counseled another woman not to be as, well, friendly, as Blanche always claimed SHE was:

"What men find you, is available, and that's no compliment...when I'm with a man it's because I like him, not because I want him to like me." - to her niece Lucy - I really couldn't see where Lucy's behavior was any different from Blanche's.

"Play hard to get, it drives a man crazy." To Sophia, in "Old Boyfriends." (Dorothy called Blanche on that one.)

"If you keep Miles at bay, wonderful things will happen..." to Rose, in "Girls Just Wanna..." And then later she said that she knew her men were superficial compared to Miles, but she doesn't seem to act on learning that lesson.

And Blanche advises Rose to be patient with her boyfriend Ernie's "problem." Wonder if Blanche really could be that patient?

Then, Dorothy is so amazed that her daughter Kate would take her husband back after the affair - even though Dorothy kept going back and forth with Stan.

Blanche dates older men but go so upset about her father's new wife.

Blanche and Dorothy get upset about their parents remarrying, but they stick up for Rose when Miles' daughter is opposed to the relationship. (Not that Rose didn't deserve the support, or that Caroline wasn't mean.)

Last edited by JL82; 01-09-2010 at 12:59 PM.
JL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
JL82
Frequent Poster

This is probably a tiny one that just reveals my capacity for overanalyzing...but in the one where Miles has been living on an Amish farm and he says "it sucks." Somehow I felt like the writers forgot that Rose grew up on a farm. I would have expected her to disagree with him. She always stood up for St. Olaf when someone put it down.
JL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
PepeB
Occasional Poster

i've been thinking that too
PepeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #29
FiddleDeeDee2
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL82
This is probably a tiny one that just reveals my capacity for overanalyzing...but in the one where Miles has been living on an Amish farm and he says "it sucks." Somehow I felt like the writers forgot that Rose grew up on a farm. I would have expected her to disagree with him. She always stood up for St. Olaf when someone put it down.
Something else that has always bothered me about that whole storyline was the fact that in an earlier episode Rose invited Miles and his daughter over for lunch on his birthday. If he was in the witness protection program, he wouldn't have been allowed to make contact with his family.
FiddleDeeDee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #30
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeDee2
Something else that has always bothered me about that whole storyline was the fact that in an earlier episode Rose invited Miles and his daughter over for lunch on his birthday. If he was in the witness protection program, he wouldn't have been allowed to make contact with his family.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that whole storyline with the witness protection program had come into play yet.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote