Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 18, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #121
idol
Forum Regular

Awesome thread as the Wacker case always baffled me. I wonder if Mrs. Wacker (if she is still alive) lives in the same house and when/if the harassment stopped?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #122
ididn'tdoit
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Not really. I emailed the Sheriff's Dept. there a year or so ago asking but never got a reply.

Hey CD, I miss Walter Rice
Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #123
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididn'tdoit
Hey CD, I miss Walter Rice

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #124
mphs95
Forum Regular
Remember me?

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Well this is one of those cases I feel strongly about and in a million years you guys will never convince me Bill Wacker was responsible for any of it. I think sometimes people forget that we're talking about elderly people. Not to knock elderly people of course, but realize their senses (i.e. hearing, seeing) are not as keen as younger people so it would be much easier to sneak around their house leaving notes and breaking in. Elderly people are less suspicious of strangers and also tend to be more trusting than the rest of us (since the time they lived in you could be) so they're more likely to leave their house unlocked and let people in to use the phone. I think that should be a very important factor when you think about who may be responsible for these tauntings. Not to mention I really don't think Bill Wacker would have been clever enough to perpetrate all these things and not once be caught or even be in a suspicious place when it happened. Do you guys really think that Dorothy was in on it (and getting physically assaulted too as they did take her to the hospital) and do you think that Bill Wacker's wife and family would support him and participate in the segment if they had any thought in their mind that Bill was responsible? To say that Bill Wacker is guilty in my opinion goes against logic on so many levels. Once again you have to ask yourself what is the most logical reason for these happenings....someone out "for kicks" (sorry I couldn't resist that) trying to terrorize a poor elderly couple or that Bill Wacker spent decades being a loving and kind husband and then one day just decided he'd would start to terrorize and assault his wife (right after heart surgery no less) for no reason.

Amen, CD.

I just can't see this couple doing all this. Why would a man physically assault his wife of over 50 years to the point of almost death? Just to get some attention? I don't think so.

I think that it's someone close to them. Someone brought up the point that the handwriting on the graffiti was written with the opposite hand, an obvious attempt to cover up the handwriting. Someone close to them will also have their phone number when it is changed. It's sad that a family member, neighbor, or another person close enough to the Wackers to terrorize them for a decade w/o getting caught.

Hopefully, someday, this mystery is solved.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #125
smashv2
Frequent Poster

Just saw this case today. I thought the intruder must've been pretty good to have left a note on the porch while the house was under surveillance. He must've noticed the van and other details that were different from other nights.

I also thought it was funny how Mr. Wacker ran to his porch with his revolver when he heard a noise. I was thinking he was going to be so paranoid that he'd shoot any random thing walking on the sidewalk.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #126
Tendervittles
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
When I first watched the segment, the thought of the Wackers creating this whole thing didn't even enter my mind. But after subsequent viewings, the Wackers story just didn't add up.

If you were Mrs. Wacker, would you let someone in to your house months after your house was burglarized for the 3rd time in the span of a year? Would you let him in when he claims his car broke down, but there is absolutely no sight of the car? Wouldn't it make sense that he would go to the nearest house for a phone? Would you let the stranger in when you're alone and female? Would you turn his back on him like Mrs. Wacker did?
None of that makes any sense.

Also, during the span of an entire decade, all of the following are true.

1. No one ever sees the man.
2. No one ever hears the man.
3. No one recognizes the man when his composite sketch surfaces.
4. No one recognizes the car, or for that matter, even sees the car that allegeldy broke down the day he allegedly attacked Mrs. Wacker.

The odds are just overwhelming, here.

It sounds funny to say, but people who were born in eras gone by are on a different wavelength.

the Wacker's reminded me of my inlaws, who were born in the mid to late 20's.

Their mindset was very much different.
For one thing, they honesty believed that since they were incapable of doing terrible things, much less even thinking about them, that they assumed the rest of the world thought and felt as they did.

they didn't distinguish between those they knew and were close to and those who were strangers. To them, everyone was alike pretty much.

My mother in law would have done the same thing as Mrs. Wacker.
She often left the room when someone was on the phone, if a stranger, she would no doubt have extended the same courtesy.
She has several gold necklaces, and other valuable jewelry, which she often wears openly.

In fact, my father in law, who owned a classic car that he kept in really nice condition - liked to drive it around, even to neighborhoods that we warned him to stay out of.

When we warned them to be more careful, especially when people get killed for their things, we were told.......

"Well, we worked hard for everything we have, and we have a right to show it off if we want to!. when you work hard for something, people respect that and don't steal it"

We'd end up sitting on pins and needles whenever they went out alone.

Another time, and this freaked us all out, Dad, who'd been out driving, came in the house and told us to come outside and meet someone.
Naturally, we thought it was an old friend of his he hadn't seen in awhile.

Turns out it was a complete stranger who started following dad around while he was driving.
Well dad noticed, but since he was on his way home anyway, decided to just ask the guy what he wanted when he got there.

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

the guy told us he really liked dad's car and was following him to see if he'd be interested in selling it.
Dad just chuckled and said no, he liked it too much.

We made mental notes of this guy's appearance, his make and model of car, and his license plate, just in case.
But dad just laughed and seemed pleased to make a new friend.

From out perspective, this dude now had our address, saw our other cars, and pretty much got a headcount of who else lived there.

We were nervous and apprehensive, and really lit into dad afterward, but he just laughed us all off and called us scaredey cats.
He told us we were silly for locking the windows and doors that night just because that guy liked his car.

Oh yes, and they never locked their front door either.

I know that's wildly off tangent, but see what I mean?

Those of that past era also believe that intruders will be intimidated if you only just come out and get face to face with them - that if you tell someone to leave you alone, well, they just do it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #127
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Experience can cause people to change their ways.

My dad grew up in the Depression where few people had cars. So if you had one and saw somebody needing a ride, you gave them one. He was always in the habit of picking up hitchhikers until two guys he picked up started giving each other the eye as if to wonder when to jump him. Dad then proceeded to drive so wildly they begged to get out of the car! Always after that, he told us not to hitchhike ourselves, or to pick up hitchhikers--advice I almost always follow.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #128
Pintsized
First Time Poster

Does anyone know if this case is still available online or not? I know direct links are not allowed, so if someone could please message me.

The UM website is being updated so it's no longer there. If anyone can accommodate me, I hold a civilian position in a federally run law enforcement agency, and I can try to use my pull in that regards to find out whatever happened with this case. If I receive permission, I'll post my findings.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #129
Dislimb
Banned!!
Conspiracies suck!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #130
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

This has always been a personal favorite segment of mine...but unfortunately it's not on any of the DVD's that have been released nor is the segment available online. Wish there was a way to see it...if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

But I don't think it's possible that the Wackers could have been doing that to themselves. When Dorothy smiles, I think that was her way of smiling at Bill just being Bill. Just telling people how he feels and making no bones about it...that's the impression I got from her smile. Now there is no evidence that this person exists other than the word of the Wackers, but if you take a look at the other side of the coin I think it's highly unlikely that the Wackers would be seeking attention, the only thing to gain from publicity is money and I don't think they sought any monetary consumption for their claims. Plus if Bill Wacker wanted to harass his wife, why didn't he just have her killed? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone to kill her instead of paying the same guy for over ten years to continually harass her?!!? That just doesn't make sense. And then there's the children...why on Earth would any child do this to their parents? I doubt the Wackers were well off to where they had loads of money that would be distributed in the event of their deaths, but if the kids wanted money, again why not just pay someone to kill them? The only two possible scenarios are that this guy is a complete stranger (unlikely, considering the harassment has been going on for ten years), or it's someone that the Wackers know. I think it was someone they knew, but not necessarily related to them. Maybe it was a neighbor who wanted the Wackers off their property for whatever reason and they started ramsacking the house. Or perhaps Bill Wacker was right when he said it was just "a kook". Or maybe a cook.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #131
MegtheEgg86

Every time I watch this segment, the more I believe Bill Wacker staged the entire thing, with the help of some third party.

wiseguy182 has already brought up the "meat" of the evidence---no one sees the assailant, no one recognizes his vehicle, he always manages to "slip away" just when everyone thinks he's about to be caught. Although I've certainly seen individual tenacity, I find Mr. Wacker's chutzpah towards this alleged unknown harasser to be extremely suspect. If a brilliantly elusive individual was able to not only ransack the Wacker home multiple times, attack Mrs. Wacker, and manage to never once be identified, I personally find it hard to believe anyone---no matter how "ballsy"---would be as brazen as Bill Wacker seemed to be after a decade of these incidents. Especially regarding his wife's attack---why would he want to risk his wife being harmed (possibly fatally) again? The reluctance to involve police also sends up huge red flags to me.

If it is true that Mr. Wacker did in fact stage the harassments, I cannot readily come up with any clear reason why he would do it----although I can certainly see why he didn't simply have Mrs. Wacker killed as TheCars1986 mentioned, if that was what he eventually planned to do. It would be far too abrupt and suspect to have her murdered by a hitman. By fabricating a situation like Mr. Wacker hypothetically did, he could not only turn the blame from himself (as would be typically suspected in such a tight-knit, rural area), he could also garner the sympathy of the community, furthering hoo-dooing them into believing the unknown assailant was the culprit.

Simply put, there's far too much evidence to me to suggest that this isn't the work of a cruel predator at all. Regardless of the fact that the Wackers are part of a different generation or that their senses and reflexes are diminished, the odds are just too slim.

Go Vols!

Last edited by MegtheEgg86 : 11-23-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #132
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I think it is safe to say that a total stranger did not do this. I mean really what would be the motive for a stranger to continue harassing this elderly couple for 10 years??? I see none.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #133
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

In the same respect, I find it absurd that Bill Wacker would have staged everything. Like I said, the odds of this being some unknown assailant is astronomical. The odds are that this is someone who knew the Wackers and wanted them off of their property. Now the kids could have their own motives, but I just don't see why you would hire someone to terrorize your parents into moving into YOUR house so you could sieze their financial assets...it just doesn't make any sense. Nor do I think Wacker would have kept writing notes, ransacking his OWN house and posessions and then hiring someone to attack his wife on two different occassions. What would Wacker have to gain from doing this? Why would he go out and waste money on security lights if he were the one staging the entire ordeal? Now if there was some sort of large life insurance policy on Dorothy, then yeah Bill would be the prime suspect in my opinion. I just don't understand what would possess a human who was married to a woman for thirty some years to just out of the blue either randomly start to terrorize the holy hell out of her or hire someone to do it for him. There is no logical motive therefore I highly doubt he had anything to do with it.

Now a previous poster mentioned the lexicon the assailant used when scrawling his cryptic messages. "Your lights are a laugh" was one of the messages and I agree that the use of the word "laugh" implies an older person. Which is why i think it was someone in the vicinity of the Wackers. I really think a neighbor or someone who had a stock in their property for whatever reason would be responsible for this. Perhaps the Wackers were too naiive and they believed they didn't have any enemies...when in fact someone really hated them so much that they would constantly keep doing this to them. I also think the incidents were inflated a LOT when they were aired on UM. They happened over a span of ten years, and there were probably only a handful of incidents (I'm pretty sure there were only 4-6 notes actually left, probably a dozen phone calls, the two attacks on Dorothy, etc.) so therefore it's safe to assume that the Wackers were only getting an incident maybe once a year or even two years. But the bizarre notes and the attacks on Dorothy kind of took that time frame away from the viewer, IMO. So this wasn't an everyday or even every month occurrence for the Wackers. It was just an out of the blue thing that happened every once in awhile. Which leds credibility to the fact that Bill Wacker, if he indeed had a motive against his wife, wouldn't have dragged the ordeal on so long and he would have gotten done what he wanted. Maybe it was some drunkard who got his kicks everytime he got plastered. There are plenty of "kooks" in this world, I just don't think Bill Wacker was one of them.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #134
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Now if there was some sort of large life insurance policy on Dorothy, then yeah Bill would be the prime suspect in my opinion. I just don't understand what would possess a human who was married to a woman for thirty some years to just out of the blue either randomly start to terrorize the holy hell out of her or hire someone to do it for him. There is no logical motive therefore I highly doubt he had anything to do with it.

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I came to my conclusion: a life insurance policy.

The prospect of an individual taking out a life insurance policy on someone they've been married to for years isn't so outrageous to me---especially after watching so much UM! The Wackers were retired, and more than likely not pulling in the income they once did. No Dorothy = a comfortable sum of money and a wife not there to share any of it. I certainly do not know the state of the Wackers' marriage or their financial condition at the time; I'm merely speculating. What I do firmly believe, however, is that the Wackers' story doesn't quite add up. Something's going on there.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #135
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I'm sure law enforcement would have known about a large life insurance policy and they most likely would have stated that on the UM segment. Sure this case is probably the most bizarre to ever air on UM, and I'm pretty sure it's going to remain unsolved forever. It is fun to speculate about what happened and who was responsible.

Didn't Dorothy give a composite of the man who attacked her when he claimed his car was broke down? And didn't the man leave a cryptic message both times after he attacked her? I haven't seen the segment in a couple of years so my memory is a little fuzzy.