Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #1291
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T
It is hard to know-one imagines from what we saw that Bill wasn't the easiest guy to live with so maybe she did this to him for amusement/get her own back, maybe she/him/they had some desire for attention, maybe he arranged the whole thing hoping for a divorce.

The case really raises a lot of questions-why didn't they report the first two break-ins? How did the person get their phone number every time they changed it? Why did all the items get returned? Why was the writing disguised? All of these things point to it being a family member or members working alone or in conjunction with Bill & Dorothy or one of them. Why after this going on for a year or more didn't they look into video surveillance which was around in the mid 1980's or hire a private detective?

Then we have the problem of there being nothing reported after November 1993, why did it seemingly suddenly stop without the supposed objective of one guesses them moving being obtained? If it continued then why does there seem to be no reports of it anywhere? Being pre-internet maybe there were further occurrences that got reported in the local papers, but again these seem not to have manifested & you would think this would be a huge story there after national exposure, none of their kids appears to have made any comment about it as to whether it carried on, what their take on it was etc.

If you ask yourself these questions, but you can't come up with a legit answer it's because you're thinking too hard. One or both were in on it. That's the only answer.

Who else would steal their stuff and bring it back? Who would keep calling despite a number change? Who would leave a note on the property even when all of the family is there? The Wackers.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #1292
James T
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
I hate to say it, but if you believe that this story is real even after the "stakeout" then I have a couple of magic rocks to sell you. And possibly a timeshare.

As the podcast pointed out it was probably a hilarious sight with Bill parked out front likely making it obvious he was there & of course all the likely culprits there on the spot. I can possibly believe that both Bill & Dorothy might not have been involved, but sure as hell somebody or several people in that family/neighbours were involved.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #1293
freakbook

Quote:
Then we have the problem of there being nothing reported after November 1993, why did it seemingly suddenly stop without the supposed objective of one guesses them moving being obtained?

It stopped after it aired on UM correct? They got what they wanted. A spot on television.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #1294
James T
Forum Regular

Quote:
It stopped after it aired on UM correct? They got what they wanted. A spot on television.

As far as we know. It would be interesting if the local rags are on microfiche/disc as to whether anything else happened. It would also be interesting to know if they were pitching for this case to be shown on UM in the years prior & other shows & thought the attack & stakeout might be the thing to get it on air. That there are no recorded incidents after November 1993 with the case airing six months later interesting. Doesn't seem likely somebody doing something for nearly a decade would just stop.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #1295
freakbook

Quote:
As the podcast pointed out it was probably a hilarious sight with Bill parked out front likely making it obvious he was there & of course all the likely culprits there on the spot. I can possibly believe that both Bill & Dorothy might not have been involved, but sure as hell somebody or several people in that family/neighbours were involved.

That makes you think doesn't it? If you wanted to catch someone in the act why would have that many cars/people outside of your home? In most situations that'll fend out the offender for a little while, but he still slipped through the cracks despite everyone looking out windows.

I honestly imagine Bill & Dorothy sitting on the couch watching their segment and laughing hysterically at the fact that it even aired.

Probably hoping it would become a national story and they'd be doing tours on Oprah, and Geraldo. "Hey MA. This new UM show here is how we can make a shiny new 'illion dollars. Hol still now MA. I'm going to WACK you ova the head nao." "Oh PA. WACK me over the head? hehehe you crafty old kook"
Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #1296
yourhomiebrian
Frequent Poster

Quote:
That makes you think doesn't it? If you wanted to catch someone in the act why would have that many cars/people outside of your home? In most situations that'll fend out the offender for a little while, but he still slipped through the cracks despite everyone looking out windows.

I honestly imagine Bill & Dorothy sitting on the couch watching their segment and laughing hysterically at the fact that it even aired.

Probably hoping it would become a national story and they'd be doing tours on Oprah, and Geraldo. "Hey MA. This new UM show here is how we can make a shiny new 'illion dollars. Hol still now MA. I'm going to WACK you ova the head nao." "Oh PA. WACK me over the head? hehehe you crafty old kook"

Maybe the 1st attack was real. Than they made things up because they enjoyed the attention. I think atleast part of it was real.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #1297
cdr369
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Heh. There was a poster about eighteen months ago who just *hated* the idea of Robin's podcast, for whatever reason. This poster ended up recommending the Thinking Sideways podcast every chance she got.

It was so passive-aggressive and hilarious....

I love passive-aggressiveness, as long as it is not directed to me.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #1298
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Isn't it possible that the first 2 ransackings weren't reported because they thought maybe an animal had done it? IIRC, they had a dog.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #1299
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Isn't it possible that the first 2 ransackings weren't reported because they thought maybe an animal had done it? IIRC, they had a dog.

The "fact" that the first two ransackings were not reported is misinformation.

It is not stated anywhere in the segment whether they did, or did not, report them.

In other words, we really don't know.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #1300
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
The "fact" that the first two ransackings were not reported is misinformation.

It's inferred in the segment when Bill says, "That's it, I'm calling the Sheriff". But you are right, it is never explicitly stated.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #1301
wiseguy182

One has to ask themselves: What is the motive here?

-It doesn't appear the perp (assuming he exists) has or has ever had any intentions on killing Bill or Dorothy or both.
-I think we can completely rule out sexual and drug motives.
-Nothing was stolen (that wasn't promptly returned).
-During a 10 year period, when this man is on the property many, many times, there is only instance of someone being physically attacked, and they weren't exactly life-threatening injuries.
-If this man wanted them to move, he has kept up this charade for a decade and not gotten what he's wanted. Everything has been a complete waste of time for him.

I'm not sure what's left. I know there are some people that keep up petty grudges for 10 years, but that doesn't happen very often.

More to the point, this man hasn't noticeably gained anything from what he has done. Crimes have motives. There's no apparent one here.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #1302
janiesue
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Or quite possibly she hit her head in an unrelated incident (slipped and fell on the floor, stairs, etc) and they used her hospital visit as an excuse to fuel the flames on their fake story.

Sad story is that Bill could've just been abusing her the whole time, and people were suspicious of such, but she went along with his fake story to keep him out of trouble. Maybe she knew he had a developing mental illness, and was attacking her but she felt loyal to go with the fake stories to keep from getting in trouble.

My grandmother's next door neighbor husband was verbally abusive, and nasty in his later years. He was diagnosed with something, but he would pretty much just beat her down, and she didn't say anything about it until after he passed away in the hospital. He even accused her of cheating constantly and she's like 78.

The police suspected Bill, so I wonder if family members and neighbors did as well? Maybe that's why they went on UM to "clear" his name so to speak.

I was thinking maybe Bill was abusing her, they have something called Sundown syndrome, is a neurological phenomenon associated with increased confusion and restlessness in patients with delirium or some form of dementia. But why would she go on UM, if in fact that was it. To cover for him? To hide the fact he has gone bat crazy? Why bring the police into it
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #1303
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiesue
I was thinking maybe Bill was abusing her, they have something called Sundown syndrome, is a neurological phenomenon associated with increased confusion and restlessness in patients with delirium or some form of dementia. But why would she go on UM, if in fact that was it. To cover for him? To hide the fact he has gone bat crazy? Why bring the police into it

Alot of abused women stay with the man, some even make excuses. It's possible that she figured something was wrong with Bill but didn't want to get him in trouble. It's likely he'd be placed in a home if he was abusing her due to some developing mental issue.

The family/police could've been suspecting Bill all along but she wanted to "protect him" so to speak, so he wouldn't be arrested or placed in a home. Women from her generation usually stuck by their man more often.

Hell, she could've been the one doing all the wacky stuff due to a mental illness but Bill was protecting her, because he didn't want her in a home.

I really don't know with this case anymore. I gave up having a solid opinion on this one. Let God take the wheel.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #1304
bell83
Forum Regular
You're in high school again.

Just from my own experiences...

My grandmother (who is blind and mostly deaf) began complaining of prank phone calls. The phone would ring once or twice, and when she answered it, there was no one there. She had just separated from my grandfather, who was abusive. This was around 1998-9. My mother went to the phone company and set her up with a caller ID box. For the next several months, the calls continued, she said. But nothing showed on the caller ID.

So, one weekend I happened to be there when she "got one." It was maybe 11 at night. She had just gone to bed, and I was sitting in the living room watching TV. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes later, she came out and asked who had called. I asked what she meant, and she said she had just heard the phone ring once. The phone had not rung, and I told her this. She swore up and down that it had. So at this point, I assumed that what was happening was that, as she was falling asleep, she had started a dream or something and it had woken her up. I've had things like that happen, where as I'm falling asleep I'll get startled awake by something. So I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward about eight years. She was living in senior housing. She began complaining that she could hear her neighbor banging and stuff in the neighbor's bedroom, which shared a wall with hers. Again, didn't think much of it. After a short time, she began saying that she could hear the neighbor talking, and sometimes there was a man there. I doubted this, because she had a hard time hearing you in the same room, at times. Then she began talking about how she could actually hear conversations they were having. The neighbor lived alone. But she said she could hear a man in there with her, and they were chanting, and talking about 'The Reanimator" and stuff like that. Also she could hear her neighbor chanting "I want to die" over and over. This never happened when I was around. But one night my stepfather happened to be over there, and she called him in to tell him it was happening again. He heard nothing, but she told him it was still going on. She was becoming increasingly angry with us, because it was making it seem as though she was crazy.

Now...my grandmother is on a host of medications for various mental issues, to include depression and anxiety. My mother spoke with her doctor. As it turned out, one of her doctors had put her on a MASSIVE dose of Wellbutrin, and it was believed that she was getting auditory hallucinations due to this. She was taken off it, and it stopped.

So I guess my potential theory on this case is...what if something like that was behind all or most of this? Say that it started as a trigger from something they were on, and maybe they fabricated some of it because they were tired of being told they were crazy and nothing was happening? Trying to get others to see that things were, in fact, happening to them?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #1305
freakbook

Maybe it was a disgruntled pizza man they never tipped.

Maybe Bill thought everyday was April Fool's Day due to his Alzheimer's

Maybe when the magic rock grants one wish, it brings disaster on another. The Wackers being the unlucky recipients