Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC to Air Special 4 Week Edition of Dancing with the Stars; House of Payne Spin-off Premieres Jan. 16 on OWN
2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
buckeyeblogger
Frequent Poster

Default Trucker Serial Killer (Ohio region)

Just saw this story for the 2nd time last Friday, I believe I saw it when it originally aired. I must say that I'm not shocked that is has never been solved. The reporter that broke the story in the Columbus Dispatch (this would have been early-mid 1990's) didn't even sound sure that a suspect would ever materialize.

Are police still actively pursuing this case? I realize that's a strange question but it's one of those cases that sounds like it may have gone cold. Any of you sleuths know anything that has happened in the case since UM first aired it? Have there ever been any updates on other episodes?

The UM segment really kinda creeped me out, especially all of the early dawn shots of the 18 wheeler on the highway with the creepy music.. those producers deserved an Emmy for their gift of pure suspense.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
U.M. Fanatic
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeblogger
The UM segment really kinda creeped me out, especially all of the early dawn shots of the 18 wheeler on the highway with the creepy music.. those producers deserved an Emmy for their gift of pure suspense.

I feel the same way.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
DarkDante

This may be one of the creepiest segments they've ever done period and one reason for this is they don't air this segment a great deal. You tend to forget about it because the victims are "general" rather than "specific" (such as Rhonda Hinson - that is a very specific case) but then it airs every once in awhile and it just creeps you out all over again.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
crystaldawn

Nice avatar Dante...

I agree one of the creepier UM segments with the dark eerie truck stop scenes. I did locate Michael Berens (he's no longer in Ohio) and just sent him an email asking him if he could share any additional info with us or if there have been any arrests in the case. If he responds I will post the info here.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
DarkDante

This coming from someone who only has a stupid wreath of flowers as her avatar. You are such an electra fraud CD its not even funny
Old 02-21-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
buckeyeblogger
Frequent Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Nice avatar Dante...

I agree one of the creepier UM segments with the dark eerie truck stop scenes. I did locate Michael Berens (he's no longer in Ohio) and just sent him an email asking him if he could share any additional info with us or if there have been any arrests in the case. If he responds I will post the info here.

Thanks Crystaldawn
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
crystaldawn

Default Reply from Michael Berens

Okay I did hear back from Michael Berens today. This is what he wrote:

Heather,
This is a story that continues to follow me, as do the calls from people who claim they know the suspect. No charges have been filed. There've been many temporary suspects, but credit card receipts and other evidence eventually exonerated them. There is so much to this case. And there are many valiant law enforcement officers who helped me assemble the first stories so many years ago.
Here's a brief recap: All the victims were truck stop prostitutes; none worked city streets. All were strangled or beaten - or both; none were shot or stabbed. All were dumped on the edge of the roadway, or on the roadway (the theory is the killer opened the passenger door and pushed them out of the cab; grass pattern analysis indicated that bodies fell a short distance). The killer kept articles of clothing. In some cases, the killer dumped an article of clothing in the middle of the road every few miles from the body. Many of the bodies were found more than 100 miles from the abduction point. Police theorized the killer had a refrigerated truck. Some investigators suspected the killer had a law enforcement background. For instance, three victims worked the same truck stop (Union 76 in Austintown, Ohio), yet their bodies were found in three different counties - three different jurisdictions. This is why the killer went undetected do long, perhaps.
You might be surprised how many long-haul truckers have sexual criminal records and then frequented the same truck stops. I was. Police centered on a trucker as a suspect because the victims only worked truck stops, usually via CB radio. The victims had a history of never leaving the stop with a trucker.
Over the years there have been many similar crimes. I've had many "interesting" contacts. A group of college students in Iowa once claimed they had tied the killings to the Zodiac (not true, of course). And a woman once discovered a secret photo book filled with pictures of naked women, some possibly bound, that had been collected by her husband (she believed he was the truck stop killer; he wasn't). It's impossible for me to know what linkage, if any, there may be without access to forensic tests. But I've often wondered if the killer died, went to jail, went underground or continued. Good luck with your discussion.
And, of course, if anyone dredges up a tip they should call the FBI.

- mike
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Wow. Thanks, Crystaldawn.

I also agree with the earlier comments about this being one of the creepier UM segments. To me, it's right up there with the segment (or it might have been a Special Alert) about the search for another person who was killing prostitutes... but this one would dump the bodies in trash bins and landfills. I think it may have been in Cinncinnati.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
palmyrafan
Occasional Poster

Default Serial Killer

I lived in Columbus, Ohio at the time these killings were going on. I moved there from Indianapolis, Indiana in 1980.

There was a serial killer in Westfield, Indiana (my hometown) in the early 1990's. Although known for targetting gays in the downtown clubs of Indianapolis (Herb was a bisexual) and was known to have killed many of those he picked up in Indy, according to the Indianapolis Police Department, the killer, Herb Baumeister, also made frequent business trips to Ohio, including Columbus during that time. He owned his own business and the dates of his trips coincided with disappearances of many people. He travelled 70 East and was known to pick up hitchhikers at rest stops and truck stops.

The police, for many years, have been investigating Herb as the potential serial killer along the I-70 corridor between Indy and Columbus. They noted that when Herb Baumeister committed suicide, most of the abductions and killings stopped.

Worth looking into? I believe it is highly likely that Herb Baumeister was the serial killer. It does not make sense that he would only kill in Indiana and not when he would be travelling on business in Ohio. Especially the hitchikers and "undesirables" he would target and pick up.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
ferrariboy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmyrafan
I lived in Columbus, Ohio at the time these killings were going on. I moved there from Indianapolis, Indiana in 1980.

There was a serial killer in Westfield, Indiana (my hometown) in the early 1990's. Although known for targetting gays in the downtown clubs of Indianapolis (Herb was a bisexual) and was known to have killed many of those he picked up in Indy, according to the Indianapolis Police Department, the killer, Herb Baumeister, also made frequent business trips to Ohio, including Columbus during that time. He owned his own business and the dates of his trips coincided with disappearances of many people. He travelled 70 East and was known to pick up hitchhikers at rest stops and truck stops.

The police, for many years, have been investigating Herb as the potential serial killer along the I-70 corridor between Indy and Columbus. They noted that when Herb Baumeister committed suicide, most of the abductions and killings stopped.

Worth looking into? I believe it is highly likely that Herb Baumeister was the serial killer. It does not make sense that he would only kill in Indiana and not when he would be travelling on business in Ohio. Especially the hitchikers and "undesirables" he would target and pick up.
I saw a special on this guy once.

I believe it was called The Secret Life Of A Serial Killer.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #12
patty1019
Occasional Poster

are the murders still going on? anyone got a link to where i might read more on this if they are still happening?

patty1019
Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
buckeyeblogger
Frequent Poster

Quote:
are the murders still going on? anyone got a link to where i might read more on this if they are still happening?

From what I understand, the murders just stopped abruptly. Although, as I'm sure has been mentioned before, the trucker could have moved on to another part of the country and kept up his behavior or he could have just stopped.

I guess that can happen..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeblogger
From what I understand, the murders just stopped abruptly. Although, as I'm sure has been mentioned before, the trucker could have moved on to another part of the country and kept up his behavior or he could have just stopped.

I guess that can happen..

From my experience (and I'm hoping Kane or Crystaldawn can back me up here), serial killers don't usually stop. If the murders have quit occuring where they had been happening before, chances are that the serial killer has either moved, been incarcerated for a different crime, or they have died.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
From my experience (and I'm hoping Kane or Crystaldawn can back me up here), serial killers don't usually stop. If the murders have quit occuring where they had been happening before, chances are that the serial killer has either moved, been incarcerated for a different crime, or they have died.

I've learned that important lesson, too. There are many types of criminals that cannot be reformed; therefore, no matter what method of rehabilitation you give them, they will not change. Serial killers are no exception. They may stop killing for a period of time, but eventually they resume their evil deeds.

In fact, I have a serial killer living in my house! Actually, it's my orange and white cat. She has killed some birds, but most of her victims are mice. So far, to the best of my knowledge, she has gone a lengthy period of time without any carnage. But sooner or later, she will kill again.

Now to return to the subject, yes there's always an explanation as to why a serial killer isn't heard from in a long time. They may have moved away (perhaps committing new crimes that have yet to be linked to their old ones); they may be deceased; they may be incapacitated (in a coma, suffering from a crippling disease, etc.); they may be in prison for an unrelated offense; they may be deceased.

I remember what Robert Stack said in the UM segment about the so-called Valley Killer (the serial killer who struck in New Hampshire during the 1980s). He noted that the best hope is that the killer is incarcerated for another crime; the worst nightmare is that he's still on the loose.