Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
clj2

Default Changes to the Sophia character

Did anyone else notice the way Estelle Getty/Sophia "mellowed out" in the series? In the first seasons, she was extremely blunt, often rude, and REALLY had a sharp delivery (this was extremely evident in the first season). In the latter seasons, she seemed more mellow and like "one of the girls", but her original personality remained, although more toned-down. I wonder why the character was changed? I preferred her in the first couple of seasons much more.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
JR1
Forum Regular

Definitely. Aside from that, her appearance even changed some in the 6th and 7th seasons- not sure if that was because of the dementia. Also, I didn't like the wigs as much in those seasons as much as the other seasons.

Dorothy also wasn't as abrasive/sarcastic in later seasons as she had been in the first four- in season 5, part of that may have been related to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In seasons 6 and 7,she got a little bit back, but still not the same. That also could have been related to the change in writers.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
clj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
Definitely. Aside from that, her appearance even changed some in the 6th and 7th seasons- not sure if that was because of the dementia. Also, I didn't like the wigs as much in those seasons as much as the other seasons.

Dorothy also wasn't as abrasive/sarcastic in later seasons as she had been in the first four- in season 5, part of that may have been related to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In seasons 6 and 7,she got a little bit back, but still not the same. That also could have been related to the change in writers.
Yeah, her wigs had more of a curly appearance. I also noticed her accent was toned down as well. She went from being more of an extra to the 3 girls to acting like one of the girls.

Dorothy's changes I haven't noticed, but I sort of do since you mentioned it. As a huge fan of Maude, I noticed that in the earlier seasons, especially the first episode, she acted a lot like her at times. Her appearance was not good in season 5 either (she greatly improved in 7).
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
djhsolara
Frequent Poster

I would agree on this with Sophia. In fact, to me it seems like the whole idea of the damage from her stroke (where she lost the capability of censoring what she says) was completely gone after the first season.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
clj2

Yeah, they totally abandoned that idea.

Here's a decent comparison....here's Sophia in the earlier seasons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKA_ZunYHIg

and the latter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYK1...eature=related

Something's just....different. Maybe it was just age and her health.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Veteran

I think Estelle was good for the role, but the writing and character type had A LOT to do with her success. If you watch her in scenes, she is clearly at the bottom of the acting pact of the show. She could deliver a zinger with gusto but lacked when it came to anything more nuanced than that.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"If you watch her in scenes, she is clearly at the bottom of the acting pact of the show."

I don't know if you've read Rue's autobiography, but in it, she is very clear about how difficult it was for everyone to work around Estelle's problems with performing. Her final comment about the issue was "With the use of cue cards and a lot of creative editing, we somehow pulled it off, but it was very challenging." And she adored Estelle. Spoke highly of her as a friend. She was just describing how disruptive it was to work around her fear/memory problem/insecurities, whatever the real issue/issues might have been.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2
Dorothy's changes I haven't noticed, but I sort of do since you mentioned it. As a huge fan of Maude, I noticed that in the earlier seasons, especially the first episode, she acted a lot like her at times. Her appearance was not good in season 5 either (she greatly improved in 7).

Dorothy's hair looked like a pseudo-spiked helmet in season 7. That was her worst look to me.

And regarding Sophia, Bea said Sophia was meaner in the last season; that quote where she says of the final season, "Rose got dumber, Blanche got sluttier, Sophia got meaner, but nobody got funnier."
Old 07-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
623East68Strt
Occasional Poster

Sophia became especially mean in the last season of the series. The writers must have decided to see how far they could go with it. I prefer Season 1-5 Sophia. Dorothy is the one that got better each year the series went on as she mellowed and became comfortable with who she was.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Of all the mean things the writers had Sophia do, the one thing I would change first was her insults toward her own daughter.

Trying to make a daughter who loved and took such good care of her feel like no man would ever want her was inexcusable.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
schmave
Frequent Poster

I always wondered who made "movin' on" a regular phrase for Sophia in those final few seasons. Never said it all earlier in the series, then it became one of her staple lines for a while.