Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #76
Golden_Guy
First Time Poster

Like some of you, this is my first post to this group. It's unfortunate that I was drwan to this community for the first time under such terrible circumstances. But I've been terribly depressed these past two days, and couldn't help but want to talk about my experiences like you fine, like minded people.

The day before yesterday, TV lost one of its greatest stars "The Golden Girls" Bea Arthur.

On my personal blog, I wrote the following in tribute: It is with great sadness that I write of the passing of Bea Arthur, who I will forever remember as Dorothy from "The Golden Girls." Believe me, I know how odd it is for a straight guy to have such affection for a show about four women who could have been his grandmother getting their groove on in Miami Beach.

Or maybe that's just it. Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Betty White, and Rue McClanahan-and the characters that they so brilliantly brought to life-are like grandmothers to all of us who grew up with them. One of my fondest childhood memories from my earliest age and on is of spending weekends with my grandmother. Every week, she would make a batch of homemade cookies or a texas sheet cake and we would snack on them while watching "The Golden Girls." (I still recall the "Moving, moving, moving...the Golden Girls are moving" commercials from when the show switched nights from Friday to Saturday. Do you?) Admittedly, I couldn't understand much of the humor, but it was tradition. And somewhere along the way I began to feel like I had four extra grandmothers out there. That may sound ridiculous, but it's true.

They each became family to me. Closer to me than my own, I grew up in a very abusive household as a youngster. My parents were..well, they never seemed quite like parents to me. But no matter how bad I felt, or how awful a day turned out to be; my golden girls were always there to pick me back up, dust me off and keep me smiling.

They've gotten me through some very tough times, these past couple years especially and for that I don't think I could ever thank them enough. I don't think I could have made it through without their help.

So when my days of cookie munching with my grandmother were long gone, I sought comfort in that my girls were still with me. After the show went off the air, I watched the re-runs faithfully-first on Fox, and then in their endless rotations on Lifetime and now religiously on Hallmark. (There is no shame in watching "television for women" when the entertainment is THAT good!) And then, as TV on DVD came about, I snatched up each of the seven seasons and laughed myself stupid over episodes I could quote verbatim.

Estelle Getty who portrayed the character of Sophia left this Earth last year, and now Bea has gone. While she lived eighty-six accomplished years, which is more than most, I'm finding it quite saddening. Heartbreaking, even. Perhaps it's because I'm realizing that it's time to grow up. But you can bet that the next time I have a piece of cheesecake, I'm going to toast Bea Arthur (even though she never liked cheesecake to begin with)...

Now, grab yourself a piece of cheesecake, switch on the (thankfully endless) re-runs, and toast Bea Arthur for all her golden years of entertainment...I love you Bea. Thank you for all the good times.

Say hi to Ma, Pussycat!

-Nick King
Old 04-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #77
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Guy
Like some of you, this is my first post to this group. It's unfortunate that I was drwan to this community for the first time under such terrible circumstances. But I've been terribly depressed these past two days, and couldn't help but want to talk about my experiences like you fine, like minded people.

The day before yesterday, TV lost one of its greatest stars "The Golden Girls" Bea Arthur.

On my personal blog, I wrote the following in tribute: It is with great sadness that I write of the passing of Bea Arthur, who I will forever remember as Dorothy from "The Golden Girls." Believe me, I know how odd it is for a straight guy to have such affection for a show about four women who could have been his grandmother getting their groove on in Miami Beach.

Or maybe that's just it. Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Betty White, and Rue McClanahan-and the characters that they so brilliantly brought to life-are like grandmothers to all of us who grew up with them. One of my fondest childhood memories from my earliest age and on is of spending weekends with my grandmother. Every week, she would make a batch of homemade cookies or a texas sheet cake and we would snack on them while watching "The Golden Girls." (I still recall the "Moving, moving, moving...the Golden Girls are moving" commercials from when the show switched nights from Friday to Saturday. Do you?) Admittedly, I couldn't understand much of the humor, but it was tradition. And somewhere along the way I began to feel like I had four extra grandmothers out there. That may sound ridiculous, but it's true.

They each became family to me. Closer to me than my own, I grew up in a very abusive household as a youngster. My parents were..well, they never seemed quite like parents to me. But no matter how bad I felt, or how awful a day turned out to be; my golden girls were always there to pick me back up, dust me off and keep me smiling.

They've gotten me through some very tough times, these past couple years especially and for that I don't think I could ever thank them enough. I don't think I could have made it through without their help.

So when my days of cookie munching with my grandmother were long gone, I sought comfort in that my girls were still with me. After the show went off the air, I watched the re-runs faithfully-first on Fox, and then in their endless rotations on Lifetime and now religiously on Hallmark. (There is no shame in watching "television for women" when the entertainment is THAT good!) And then, as TV on DVD came about, I snatched up each of the seven seasons and laughed myself stupid over episodes I could quote verbatim.

Estelle Getty who portrayed the character of Sophia left this Earth last year, and now Bea has gone. While she lived eighty-six accomplished years, which is more than most, I'm finding it quite saddening. Heartbreaking, even. Perhaps it's because I'm realizing that it's time to grow up. But you can bet that the next time I have a piece of cheesecake, I'm going to toast Bea Arthur (even though she never liked cheesecake to begin with)...

Now, grab yourself a piece of cheesecake, switch on the (thankfully endless) re-runs, and toast Bea Arthur for all her golden years of entertainment...I love you Bea. Thank you for all the good times.

Say hi to Ma, Pussycat!

-Nick King
That was a great post. I feel the same way. BTW welcome to SO
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #78
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...r27_cv.art.htm

Another tribute. This one from USA TODAY

Arthur: One-of- a-kind TV star
Older, acidic and amazing
By Robert Bianco
USA TODAY

With Bea Arthur, waiting for the line was half the fun.

Make no mistake: Arthur, who died Saturday of cancer at 86, could deliver a joke or a song with the best of them. But what fans of her two big sitcom hits, Maude and The Golden Girls, really came to love was the slow-burn pause before the line the eyes throwing daggers before the tongue delivered the zinger.

In fact, sometimes on Golden Girls, you never even heard the line. The studio audience was already laughing at Arthur glaring at Betty White, Rue McClanahan or Estelle Getty, anticipating the insult to come and safe in the assumption that even if they missed it, Arthur had already delivered the goods.

And did she ever. Already 50 when Maude launched on CBS in 1972 ancient by today's TV standards Arthur brought to the small screen all the oversized skill, confidence and scene-stealing theatrical heft she had learned from 25 years on the Broadway stage.

She had worked in TV before, in 1956 in Caesar's Hour among other shows. But like Angela Lansbury, her co-star in the original production of Mame, Arthur didn't really become a TV star until she was a mature, middle-aged woman. And like no one before or since, she made most everyone else around her look like kids.

There are stars who, when they leave, you realize how far we've come. With Arthur, sad to say, you realize how far we've regressed; there's no way Maude or Golden Girls gets on the air on any of the broadcast networks today. In an era in which networks cater to young viewers and kowtow to advertisers, everything about those shows would be a no-go, from the age of their stars to their no-holds-barred, no-sacred-cows style.

Maude had an abortion. Wherever one stands on the issue, we can all probably agree that no sitcom today would dare take that kind of risk.

Oddly enough for one of TV's most famous liberal characters, Maude owed her existence to one of the most conservative: Archie Bunker. Arthur was brought into All in the Family in 1971 to provide a serpent-tongued foil to Archie, and with her towering size and acidic way with a joke, she was perfect for the part.

So good, CBS spun her off into her own show the next year, and cast McClanahan who would later rejoin her in Girls as Maude's sweet best friend.

For good and not, Maude is a perfect example of a '70s social sitcom: a loud, pointed, fictional version of the debates you now find on cable news shows. It could be very funny, particularly in the early years, when Esther Rolle's Florida was around to take some of the wind out of Maude's liberal sails. But it probably hasn't aged as well as Golden Girls.

There's a seven-year gap between the end of Maude and the 1985 launch of Girls (and a failed Americanized version of Fawlty Towers in between). But as Arthur herself often admitted, Maude Findlay and Dorothy Zbornak had much in common and how could they not? Arthur just wasn't built to play shy, retiring types.

Still, she wasn't all blast, either. There's a sweetness in her scenes with Dorothy's mother (Getty), and in her sometimes unwilling fondness for her ex-husband, that served to soften the show's tone, which could get too nasty.

As wonderful as she was in front of a camera, Arthur's appeal didn't seem to translate to film, or perhaps she just wasn't given the right chance. Her stage role as Yente in Fiddler on the Roof went to Molly Picon in the movie. She did get to repeat her Tony-winning Broadway role as Vera Charles in the film version of Mame, but her co-star was Lucille Ball rather than Lansbury, and that pretty much did the film in.

But then there's Maude, and Dorothy, and that look. And that's a legacy of which any star can be proud.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #79
USATVFAN
Banned!!
Banned

Rue and Betty on The Today Show.

http://www.people.com/people/news/ca...anahan,00.html
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #80
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

So lovely to read and see so many loving tributes to Bea over the past few days...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #81
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I am surprised & then I am not that she has passed on. For so many years I was so surprised that all 4 Golden Girls were all still alive. Then last year when Estelle died, I thought oh boy here we go. Now in less then a year another one has passed on.

I just find it interesting that the 2 on the Golden Girls who played mother & daughter have passed on.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #82
DLevine2
DLevine2

Entertainment Tonight has a memory of Bea Arthur on there today and there will be some more of her on ET tomorrow night.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73189/index.html

Here is the news from Entertainment Tonight on BA.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #83
browneyes106

I missed ET tonight. I will try to watch tomorrow night.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #84
Me-Hostage
Occasional Poster

I just got home. I was visiting my mother in the hospital this afternoon and she gave me her copy of our local Sunday paper. They had an article on Bea, talking about Maude, Golden Girls and Mame.

I was watching a few of the morning talk shows this morning. I seen the gals on The View mentioned Bea's passing and they chatted for a few minutes about her. But, I was sad that Reggis and Kelly made no mention of Bea's passing over the weekend, and they usually talk about deaths of famous people among other things - unless I missed something!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #85
ewoowoo
Frequent Poster

I am so Sad. 2 girls in 1 year
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #86
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I felt the same way.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #87
phoebe7165
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Goddess

TV

I had also posted this on the Chit Chat board but I'll mention it again.

Whenever a celeb dies, my sister & I play this game where whoever heard about the death first, the other one guesses by playing 20 questions. Since she found out about Bea first, I asked that the show she was on was a show that we watched. She replied that was the really sad thing about this death is that she was on a show that we watched. I answered "it's not another Golden Girl?" and she said yes. I actually thought it was Rue because I could've sworn I heard she was sick. Then she said it was Bea.

I watched GG most of the night last night, both on Hallmark & WETV.

One of the best mother-daughter teams gone from us in such a short time.

RIP Pussycat.

Rescued animals make the best pets. Opt to Adopt!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #88
HMin
First Time Poster

Default Will be missed

I am still in tears upon learning of Bea's passing. She was a great actress and watching her brought so much laughter and happiness into my life. And I have to say that I am so tired of learning that yet another favorite has passed away.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #89
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I was in Tears while watching The Golden Girl's Last Night.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #90
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

Unhappy

So sad to hear of Bea's passing (I felt the same way about Estelle's passing last year).

I enjoyed Bea on both 'Maude' and 'The Golden Girls'.

My parents also loved 'The Golden Girls'. They couldn't believe how terrible Bea looked on TV last year, she appeared on a Canadian TV show 'Whatever Happened To...' in 2007 (had no idea she had cancer). They asked me if I knew Bea died, I told them that I read it on the internet and I was meaning to mention it to them.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.