Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 18, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
ohmrwilson
Forum Regular

Default Why wouldn't Dorothy visited the others

At the end of Golden Girls (and it was obvious that Bea wasn't coming back), it was a final fairwell.

However, Dorothy had money, her new husband was loaded...in real life people in that situation, wouldn't they have visited once or twice a year
and wouldn't they have kept in constant phone (now they could Skype )
almost every day?

While it made for a sad farewell, I don't think it rang true.

(same with when Mike and Gloria left for California and Archie and Edith felt they would never in their lifetime see them or their granddaughter again.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Wawwie

Maybe Dorothy did call and write often. How would anyone know? That was the final episode.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
ohmrwilson
Forum Regular

Default Yes I know...but...the romantic in me would think...

Yes I know...but...the romantic in me would think they could have said something like, oh stop it, we will talk and visit and see each other again

But I know it's the last episode, and in a way, the 3 times Bea comes back makes it like a curtain call while still keeping it in character.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Bloem
Occasional Poster

The end of the Golden Girls was not a goodbye to their relationship but to sharing life under one roof.
(Dorothy comes back to see her friends in two episodes of the Golden Palace and in the end they do this -we will always be friends and visit each other- thing.)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #5
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

What Bloem said. Dorothy did visit after GG ended; it was shown on GP.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
JR1
Forum Regular

Yes- even if someone moves 10 minutes away, it's still sad/sentimental when a person moves out of the house, especially if it's been a number of years.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
McGillicuddy

...and why wouldn't Sophia visit her own daughter in Atlanta?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Because she got caught up in helping to make the hotel run and its antics. Plus, in the two part episode when Dorothy visits, Dorothy admits not having a lot of contact with her friends because she and Lucas needed some time to themselves.

Now off camera, Sophia could have very well went to visit Dorothy. Blanche (Between GG and GP) was off screen visiting her brother Tad in Chattanooga, TN and it was later revealed in a Valentine's Day episode on "The Golden Palace". Anything is possible.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
bliss
Forum Regular
THAT GIRL

Dorothy shoved her poor mother back to Shady Pines after she married again and the 2 women she considered "daughters" abandoned her. No wonder the poor thing visited the Weston home alot.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmrwilson
At the end of Golden Girls (and it was obvious that Bea wasn't coming back), it was a final fairwell.

However, Dorothy had money, her new husband was loaded...in real life people in that situation, wouldn't they have visited once or twice a year
and wouldn't they have kept in constant phone (now they could Skype )
almost every day?

While it made for a sad farewell, I don't think it rang true.

(same with when Mike and Gloria left for California and Archie and Edith felt they would never in their lifetime see them or their granddaughter again.

As far as Mike and Gloria go, I get it. Archie and Edith were not rich people, and the likelihood of them heading out to CA on any kind of regular basis was pretty small (they did end up going out once). Sure Mike and Gloria could have made it back easier, but Mike's starting salary probably wasn't huge and might make it possible for one or maybe two trips a year to NY. That isn't a 'forever' goodbye, but it sure is a huge change and I think the Bunkers were totally justified in acting like things would never be the same again, because they couldn't be.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #11
ohmrwilson
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
As far as Mike and Gloria go, I get it. Archie and Edith were not rich people, and the likelihood of them heading out to CA on any kind of regular basis was pretty small (they did end up going out once). Sure Mike and Gloria could have made it back easier, but Mike's starting salary probably wasn't huge and might make it possible for one or maybe two trips a year to NY. That isn't a 'forever' goodbye, but it sure is a huge change and I think the Bunkers were totally justified in acting like things would never be the same again, because they couldn't be.

re:All in the family
go back to the time frame the show was on
First, Archie was not poor, he was middle class, his house was paid for by then, and he should have had a nice pension plan and retirement money.
BUt, back then, there were some very cheap airlines (remember Laker Air?)
and flying was not only for rich people.
While not too often, but once a year one would go west, once a year the others go east not out of the question if the parents and children wanted to see each other especially during the holidays.
And, why couldn't Edith and Archie move west? What really was keeping them tied down?
(thinking way too much at 3am in the morning).

It wasn't like 1930s or the ultra-sad movie with Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore"Make way for Tommorrow" in the 1930s, (perhaps the saddest and most beautiful tear jerker of all time, saw it on TCM one Saturday night a few years ago.)
So I just drive on, I just ride" (c) Elizabeth Grant aka Lana Del Rey, & J. Parker.

Hillary Clinton45 / Deval Patrick 2016
Old 02-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

bliss said:

"Dorothy shoved her poor mother back to Shady Pines after she married again and the 2 women she considered "daughters" abandoned her. No wonder the poor thing visited the Weston home a lot."

Quite the opposite, bliss. Sophia even went there herself briefly just to manipulate the situation during an episode of Golden Palace. She was irritated with both Dorothy and the other two GG for arguing over where she would live. They both wanted her.

We were never told exactly how she eventually ended up living at Shady Pines again, but there was no reason to assume anyone "abandoned her." Her character showed more and more memory/cognition problems during GP and Empty Nest, so it might have been for her own good, and her own decision. Remember, Shady Pines had changed into a luxury facility after it was rebuilt.

And just FYI, if Sophia were my mother in real life, she would have been back in a nursing home the same day she was caught almost bashing Rose over the head with a cooking pot. She was flippin' dangerous, is what she was!