Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100
The Office Starts Jan. 1 on COZI TV; The Good Place Star to Host TBS Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
FHCastmember
Occasional Poster

Default Is Viacom dead right now ?

MTV:

Botched TRL reboot, renamed it Total Request List, is now a pretaped morning show. Singled Out reboot gets no fanfare on SitcomsOnline lol. Jersey Shore revival has no one talking.

TV Land
Original content ended up bombing, going back to classic shows.

Logo
Has become TV LAND 2, with no LBGT programming.

Paramount Network
UPN Deluxe edition, Bombed and I hear no one talking about the network outside of Friends reruns.

Comedy Central
South Park & The office reruns

Nick
Has given up on Nick @ Nite and is just cruising

MTV 2

The Bad Vhs transfers of old syndicated programming network
FHCastmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Merry24
Frequent Poster

Don’t forget the splat that is not airring Original Double Dare & Finders Keepers & Guts & You Can’t Do That On Television & Salute your Shorts and etc.
Merry24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
FHCastmember
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry24 View Post
Don’t forget the splat that is not airring Original Double Dare & Finders Keepers & Guts & You Can’t Do That On Television & Salute your Shorts and etc.
Yupp, What is wrong with them LMAO
I would have moved Splat to Reg Nick and retired Nick @ Nite due to TV LAND pretty much being it's spin off.

MTV was banking so hard on that TRL reboot it's so funny how far Viacom has fallen. What a disgrace

Top 5 Basic Cable Networks of August 2018 (Prime Time)

Fox News (2,299,000) / +4 percent
MSNBC (1,845,000) / +1 percent
HGTV (1,363,000) / -5 percent
USA (1,326,000) / -12 percent
History (1,087,000) / +3 percent

MTV is all the way at 27 on the list, and as of November 2018 the list is still leaded by USA, FOX NEWS, MSNBC, HGTV, FX with the only Viacom channel leading
is Nick and it seems very on and off.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
stevea

Off topic, but it appears Turner's networks are a bust, too: TBS, TNT, CNN, CN.

Interesting History does better than A&E (which is mostly garbage, so really not surprising).

It'd be interesting to see a graphic illustration of how the Viacom networks have gradually slid to failure over the years.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
thebigcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Off topic, but it appears Turner's networks are a bust, too: TBS, TNT, CNN, CN.

Interesting History does better than A&E (which is mostly garbage, so really not surprising).

It'd be interesting to see a graphic illustration of how the Viacom networks have gradually slid to failure over the years.
I like CNN but the others are just so so. Cartoon Network shows too much new junk and not much of the classic shows and nothing good on Adult Swim since they took off King of the Hill.
thebigcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
tenter

https://www.viacom.com/news/viacom-earnings-q4-2018

It might be Nick@Nite could be ending, but it's not! The article says that Viacom will be doing some improvements to strengthen Nick and Nick@Nite by next year, and expect to get some growth in ratings.

Paramount network: Friends, Two and a Half Men, and Mom are airing those. I don't know what other off network shows they're airing. I know that Younger season 6 will air this network in spring. Past seasons it used to air in TVLand, since it was TVLand original.
tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcookie View Post
I like CNN but the others are just so so. Cartoon Network shows too much new junk and not much of the classic shows and nothing good on Adult Swim since they took off King of the Hill.
CN is horrible. I counted the other day and they show like 6 or 8 shows for 15 hours. What would they do without Teen Titans Go (Away) and Gumball?

Right, there is nothing classic, just this junk new animation. Just a few years ago they had Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
Merry24
Frequent Poster

Iím sorry I didnít see where it said nick@niTe In The article.
Merry24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
tenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry24 View Post
Iím sorry I didnít see where it said nick@niTe In The article.
Ghostbuster user in toonzone section knows more than this. He said:
"(you need to scroll down to the 'Premieres' iframe box and scroll along)"

and,
"Also, Viacom mentioned during their latest financial earnings call that they plan to strengthen Nick@Nite's line-up, and that they expect Nick to see ratings gains during the back-half of 2019."
tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

When it has come down to it Viacom was the king of all companies in the TV industry but when MTV Networks bought them Viacom changed it's image and started messing with channels like Nickelodeon and MTV and TV Land and because of this Nickelodeon has the image and attitude that it currently has right now and if you look at Nickelodeon itself before Viacom bought MTV Networks Nickelodeon was once home to a variety of programming for kids ranging from game shows cartoons sitcoms variety shows drama shows and other programming aimed at kids but if you look at it today Nickelodeon now is all cartoons and even with the revival of Double Dare Nickelodeon's main audience mainly watches the cartoons and sitcoms rather than the game show Double Dare and I also think Viacom is the main reason for the demise of Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando Florida and they moved filming of sitcoms somewhere else for money reasons. MTV is also another network that also got affected by Viacom and before MTV changed it's image MTV was once the home of music video shows that played all day and night but when Viacom owned them you could tell that the classic MTV image was gone and music videos were completely gone from MTV and replaced by reality shows like Teen Mom and Are You The One but before Viacom bought them MTV already had success with the show that is considered the grandfather of all reality shows The Real World. But when Viacom brought Paramount I think it hurt them because Viacom knew that a whole lot of success from a huge movie and TV company could pay off and also hurt them at the same time. And because of this Paramount became a huge king of the movie and TV world and even started a chain of theme parks called Paramount Parks that were gonna be a huge success like Disney's theme parks were and when they brought Great America in Santa Clara California and renamed it Paramount's Great America Paramount was on top of the world but when Paramount Parks went broke and sold to Cedar Point Parks Paramount was hurt at this news. But the biggest mistake that Viacom did was create Paramount Network and they should've added more shows instead of recycling the Spike TV shows and I can predict that Paramount Network will go broke in a few years due to Viacom
Bestie
Old 12-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
bgva
Forum Regular

I think it's just the effects of a society that loves to binge the same shows everyday. But cable marathons have been a thing for a good 15 years now. My guess is a channel like Comedy Central saves money by simply airing The Office for hours on end.

Same for GSN showing Family Feud so much. Why pay for different or original shows when you know people will watch regardless? I'd love to see more variety, but with so many people cutting the cord anyway, the cable networks realized they can be lazy and it won't make a difference.
bgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Viacom's channels are really an embodiment of what will happen when cable channels start shifting from being specialty, niche/narrowcast-style channels to almost all becoming much more general in terms of trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #13
FHCastmember
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Viacom's channels are really an embodiment of what will happen when cable channels start shifting from being specialty, niche/narrowcast-style channels to almost all becoming much more general in terms of trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible.
just saw your thread just now lol
https://animesuperhero.com/forums/th...t-now.5709021/

thought I was the only one who goes on there
Old 12-07-2018, 02:45 AM   #14
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Several factors that have arguably been killing Viacom's channels lately include (but not limited to): Shanarra Chronicles bombing (they moved it to a new network with almost no indication that they did so), Stephen Colbert/Jon Stewart leaving, Netflix picking up virtually all the young blood comedic genius' for standup specials, and their key demographic being drawn to Netflix/social media rather than live TV. Many of Viacom's channels simply put, seem to be lacking some original content at the moment.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
loaferman
Forum Regular

Most of the time their channels (and others as well) are showing 18 episodes in a row, off the clock, with extra commercials. I can't stand to watch TVLand any more. I think those marathon weekends they used to run became the channel's standard procedure. I mean I love The Andy Griffith Show but too many episodes a day gets old fast. I got the dvd's now and just watch a couple episodes when I feel like it. And don't get me going on how many channels "MASH" is on and how many hours a day.
loaferman is offline   Reply With Quote