Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

AfterMASH (Sitcoms Online) / AfterMASH links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / AfterMASH Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > AfterMASH
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: ABC, Includes ABC 2018 Midseason Schedule; Goldbergs Spin-off Pilot Airs Jan. 24
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: CBS, CW and Showtime; Remembering Jerry Van Dyke
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 8, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Pulls The Mayor; Hulu Adds 90s Animated Favorites
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight Five Seasons In; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Fox
Hallmark Channel Gears Up for Winterfest; ABC Sets Up Crossover Event for Thursday Staples

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #16
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
pscisme's post was very sharp and on the mark. "AfterMASH" was one of the most expensive shows on television in 1984, and Tuesday 8:00-8:30 was CBS' equivalent of dead air at the time. They were in the toilet there even before "The A-Team" came along. Bud Grant knew what he was doing. The critics massacred the show, too, so it wasn't like there was going to be an uproar over its cancellation.

Ironically, Tuesday 8:00-8:30 is currently NBC's equivalent of dead air, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the "AfterMASH" of today, "Joey," wind up there next year.
The show just wasn't that funny. I loved MASH and was looking forward to this show and I lost interest fast.Maybe if Alan Alda was in it, it would have been better.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #17
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

During the end of M*A*S*H's run, the actors voted as to whether the series should continue. Guess which actors voted to keep the show going??

I saw very little of this show, as I didn't have a VCR and had a part-time job nights. I wish TV land would show this - it would be almost like seeing a brand new show.

A similar thing happened when Bea Arthur left The Golden Girls and the show was retooled as The Golden Palace. It just didn't have the same panache with a key character gone and lasted less than a season.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #18
alienkattuk
Frequent Poster
alienkatt

Send a message via AIM to alienkattuk Send a message via Yahoo to alienkattuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii five-o
What killed "AfterMASH" was that everyone's expectations of it were too high. The network expected it to be the same quality as "MASH" and it wasn't. They even put it in the same time slot, hoping that lightning would strike twice. It wasn't a bad show, it just wasn't great.

Shades of Joey!

the Friends spin off sux big time.

Some spin off shouldn't be made at all.

I don't care for either show.

I have the spirit of an alien.
I need to find my own kind.
I must shed off the dreadful human skin.
It is very uncomfortable.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #19
alienkattuk
Frequent Poster
alienkatt

Send a message via AIM to alienkattuk Send a message via Yahoo to alienkattuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
A similar thing happened when Bea Arthur left The Golden Girls and the show was retooled as The Golden Palace. It just didn't have the same panache with a key character gone and lasted less than a season.

I care less about The Golden Palace. I didn't watch it once.

The girls didn't have no business of running a hotel.

I will rather to watch all the girls on THE GOLDEN GIRLS.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Monday Night Football was too much for AfterMASH. MNF was becoming very popular at the Time AfterMash premiered on CBS
Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCowboysFanatic
The show just wasn't that funny. I loved MASH and was looking forward to this show and I lost interest fast.Maybe if Alan Alda was in it, it would have been better.

If Alan Alda was the star, it probably would've been a hit.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
Deprogram
Frequent Poster

Default Klinger

I always suspected that Klinger was just using the war as an excuse to cross dress.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I think it was because of Low Ratings that Killed The Show
Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
Miss Lisa

I had only seen the show a few times. The first episodes were okay, but it started to seem like every one was trying to hard. Maybe almost like they were kind of lost on what they were doing. And as usual for me with spin offs, it was weird for me to get used to seeing only some one the characters in a different setting.

~♥~"No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."~♥~
- Grace Slick

http://deviantrose112.posterous.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
It didn't help that they used 3 of the dullest characters on the show. Father Mulahey(sp?) was dull, dull, dull. Col. Potter was ok, but he was more of the straight man on MASH. Jamie Farr was good on MASH, but when he dressed up like a lady and tried to be crazy. He got married and grew up on AfterMash.

Right, but when the ratings weren't good in the first season, they resorted to having him wear drag again.

I've said it before, but you can't base a show on three supporting characters and expect it to fly. They needed a Hawkeye-type character to shake things up. They tried bringing in Radar and Colonel Flagg as guest stars, but it didn't revive the show.

They tried a similar thing years later with The New WKRP In Cincinnati: They revived the show based on three supporting characters (Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson, Les Nessman and Herb Tarlek) and that didn't work either. Like After-MASH, it only lasted a couple of seasons, if I recall correctly.

Sometimes, it's better to just let go. Harry Morgan, Jamie Farr & William Christopher stayed too long at the party. Hell, the IBM commercials with Morgan, Loretta Swit, Wayne Rogers & Gary Burghoff were funnier. Plus, it was kind of cool to see "Colonel Potter" and "Trapper John" together in the same commercial.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
Jude The Obscure
Retired

A time slot change and some cast changes in the second season also served to put the nails in the coffin. The first season did a respectable #15 in the year end Nielsens.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
A time slot change and some cast changes in the second season also served to put the nails in the coffin. The first season did a respectable #15 in the year end Nielsens.

What network executives fail to realize is that TV watchers (especially back then) are creatures of habit. They get used to a show being on certain night.

If you have a show that's in the top 20, don't mess with the time slot?

Also, if I recall, they changed the actress who played Potter's wife, right? And they brought in a new hospital administrator, right?

Don't mess with something if it's getting a rating!

Ironically, AfterMASH's first season ratings were better than M*A*S*H's.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
bluthree
Forum Regular

Never scene After MASH. Did the show take place in Hannibal MO? I know Potter was from Hannibal.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
steevo
It is Green

^ Yes it did.

What killed this show was basically the premise. What made MASH so unique was it's comedy/drama within the war setting. When they took that setting away with AfterMASH, it was like any other sitcom. I watched with great interest at first, but just couldn't get into it and lost interest soon after.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #30
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
It really wasn't funny. Also it was moved opposite the A-Team for season 2.

I remember bumping into that promo for the 2nd season of AfterMASH on Youtube one day and I kind of laughed at Klinger butchering up a dummy that looked like Mr. T and Klinger taunting him.

In the end the joke was really on AfterMASH!