Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

AfterMASH (Sitcoms Online) / AfterMASH links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / AfterMASH Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > AfterMASH

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Reboot Fever Continues with Talks of Designing Women and Frasier Reboots; E! Gets Busy...Philipps
Netflix's Atypical Returns Sept. 7; GSN Brings Back John Michael Higgins Game Show
Antenna TV's Alice Labor Day Marathon; NBC App Adds Saved by the Bell and Heroes
Fresh off the Boat Launches Sept. 1 on UPtv; New Sabrina Begins Oct. 26 on Netflix
Netflix Gets Paul Rudd Comedy from IFC; Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Coming to Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 13, 2018)
SitcomOnline Digest: Discussions Underway for New Seasons of The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family; Trial & Error Looking for Home for Third Season
Fri-Yay: Orange Is the New Black Season 6: A Tightrope Between Comedy and Drama; King of the Hill Labor Day Marathon on Comedy Central

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Confused Was AfterMASH A Mistake?

What exactly went wrong with this sitcom? Did they spinoff the wrong characters? Did it in anyway hurt the original M*A*S*H's legacy?

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I don't think it hurt the original show's legacy but it was a mistake. It was big news in 1983. It was the most anticipated new show of the 1983-84 season. It started off with high ratings but by the end of the year it was falling. When CBS moved it in the fall of 1984 opposite the A-Team, it was finished. It just wasn't funny. I think the show missed Alan Alda but even he might not have been able to save it. What was funny in Korea, just was not statesside. Then they started changing cast members including Mildred. Whenever a show does that, it's usually over.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I don't think Aftermash was a mistake. During the last season of M*A*S*H they held a vote among the cast about whether to continue for another year. The only three cast members who voted to continue were Harry Morgan, Jamie Farr, and William Christopher. So it makes sense that they were the three involved in the spinoff. I think that CBS panicked when Aftermash didn't garner the same ratings as it's parent show. It may not have been a huge hit bit it was a good show...until the network started messing with it. It changed time slots four times in a year and a half. And then there were the cast changes that Sonny already mentioned. No Aftermash was not a mistake. But CBS made a mistake when it panicked and began making unnecessary changes.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
What exactly went wrong with this sitcom? Did they spinoff the wrong characters? Did it in anyway hurt the original M*A*S*H's legacy?

The show aired during Monday Night Football in season 1 and during the same time as Knight Rider in season 2. That was pretty much the reason-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
The show aired during Monday Night Football in season 1 and during the same time as Knight Rider in season 2. That was pretty much the reason-lol
Yes, with that said, shouldn't they have moved it to a better time slot if they believed in it that much?
Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Yes, with that said, shouldn't they have moved it to a better time slot if they believed in it that much?

They did move ir once but I think a NEW SHOW is only going to be moved once before being cancelled. Only those shows that were HITS at one point that showed eatly success is the only time a network will probably try various slots
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
They did move ir once but I think a NEW SHOW is only going to be moved once before being cancelled. Only those shows that were HITS at one point that showed eatly success is the only time a network will probably try various slots

I guess I see your point. I think in my opinion, CBS wanted nothing to do with this show.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
It had the same timeslot that MASH had during it's first season and was ranked #15 at the end of the season so it did have sampling. After football the ratings should have went higher but they were falling. During season 2 it was moved opposite the A-Team which was a death slot. It was paired with the sitcom E/R. It got canceled in December and Alice and the Jeffersons moved over into those slots in January with the same results.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The MASH formula hinged on bridging the Korean Conflict with the Vietnam War, the show took place in Korea but it was really about the Vietnam War. An army camp is pretty basic, tents, jeeps, green clothes, lots of green clothes. Back at home the differences are much clearer. The show then becomes more of a period piece, westerns aside, period pieces are the longest of long shots. Happy Days became a hit only after the 50's setting was downplayed.

Another problem the show had was the age of the MASH cast. Harry Morgan was almost 70, Jamie Farr was almost 50, William Christopher was over 50, all were a bit long in the tooth for returning GI's.

Imagine the show being pitched without the MASH pedigree, would it have even seen the light of day. As a stand alone it just wasn't strong enough.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Yort
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76
The MASH formula hinged on bridging the Korean Conflict with the Vietnam War, the show took place in Korea but it was really about the Vietnam War.

Duster I couldn't disagree with you more. M.A.S.H was clearly about the KOREAN WAR. They make reference to it in just about every episode. I find it absurd that some people think M.A.S.H was about Vietnam. In my mind M.A.S.H was a tribute to the people who fought and died in the Korean War and I find it insulting to think otherwise.
Yort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76
Another problem the show had was the age of the MASH cast. Harry Morgan was almost 70, Jamie Farr was almost 50, William Christopher was over 50, all were a bit long in the tooth for returning GI's.
Returning G.I.'s????? I've never seen the show except for a few youtube clips and I thought they were ordinary citizens when it was on the air.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort
Duster I couldn't disagree with you more. M.A.S.H was clearly about the KOREAN WAR. They make reference to it in just about every episode. I find it absurd that some people think M.A.S.H was about Vietnam. In my mind M.A.S.H was a tribute to the people who fought and died in the Korean War and I find it insulting to think otherwise.
That's pretty much the way I feel. My Dad was in Vietnam and I grew up during the 1970's but whenever I watched the show , that war was the furthest thing from my mind. I don't care what the intentions were, it didn't translate to the screen for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Returning G.I.'s????? I've never seen the show except for a few youtube clips and I thought they were ordinary citizens when it was on the air.
It was set right after they got home from the war in Korea. It was set in a VA Hospital.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
It was set right after they got home from the war in Korea. It was set in a VA Hospital.
Thought so
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Thought so
Yea they were civilians now. Potter was Chief of Staff at the hospital and he got Klinger hired as his assistant. Mulcahy was the Chaplin at the hospital..