Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

AfterMASH (Sitcoms Online) / AfterMASH links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / AfterMASH Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > AfterMASH

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-19-2001, 08:42 PM   #1
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie
Post AfterMASH Was Better Then The Original.

This spin-off, was so much funnier then the original series. I remember episodes of MASH taht didn't let out a single laugh. AfterMASH is a rare show, but it aired in a marathon on FX in the mid-90's I think.

------------------
Andrew Carden
callmetootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Question

Funnier than the original series?

I have to disagree on that one. While the last few seasons of MASH had fewer and fewer laughs, with most of the shows being on the serious side, the early years of the show (the Colonel Blake era) were an absolute riot for the most part. Larry Gelbart gave the show a great satirical and comedic edge.

But "After-MASH" was a bad idea: Take the three least interesting characters from a show and spin them off. It was highly improbable that Klinger would elect not to go home to live in Toledo.

In fact, the show was doing so badly, they overhauled the show for the second season, replacing a couple of cast members and resorting to putting Klinger back in drag.

If the show was so good, how come it had to resort to that?

I respect your opinion, but choose to heartily disagree
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:31 AM   #3
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie
Well, it was said that the first time that Max was in drag on AfterMASH, got them a very good rating, but the times following disgusted people. The episodes that didn't have him in drag got the good ratings.

------------------
Andrew Carden
callmetootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:24 AM   #4
Austin Tripper
Jack Tripper is GOD!
Forum Regular

after mash.. I remember that (ha ha ha)..

* hey what was the spin off of dukes of hazzard?? Enis?? right?.. was there another one also?
Austin Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 06:35 PM   #5
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin Tripper:
after mash.. I remember that (ha ha ha)..

* hey what was the spin off of dukes of hazzard?? Enis?? right?.. was there another one also?
Nah. Enos was the only spinoff of Dukes Of Hazzard.
DJM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 07:20 PM   #6
PPatters
Forum Regular

Few episodes of "M*A*S*H" didn't have laughs, but that was at the wish of the producers. Episodes like the clock episode did not use the laugh track because they were meant for their dramatic content more than their comedic content.

Now, I've never seen "AfterMASH", but if they had to resort to putting Klinger back in drag, well, then, you've got a major problem. I am sure it was a ratings ploy that, in the end, bombed.
PPatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #7
mashfan
Occasional Poster

Thumbs down Re: AfterMASH Was Better Then The Original.

Quote:
Originally posted by callmetootie
This spin-off, was so much funnier then the original series. I remember episodes of MASH taht didn't let out a single laugh. AfterMASH is a rare show, but it aired in a marathon on FX in the mid-90's I think.

------------------
Andrew Carden
No, it wasn't. Yes it had some funny moments (the episode with Col. Flagg was pretty good) but for the most part, it was painful to watch.

They should have done what "Lou Grant" did; made the series a straight drama, instead of a "dramedy." They could have dealt with problems of returning vets: amputations, post traumatic stress, shell shock, etc. This would have tied directly into Gene Reynolds notion that MASH was a comment on the Vietnam war.

I agree with the casting of Harry Morgan and Bill Christopher, as Potter was an interseting character (with that much history, both world wars behind him, he could have brought a great perspective to some of the stories) and Bill Christopher was a needed spiritual presence. FR. Mulcahy also had the hearing loss, which was done in the MASH finale cleary as a setup for AfterMASH.

Klinger was the wrong casting. They tried to set him up as the common soldier coming home after the war. Problems:
He was clearly comic relief from the get go, even though MASH established later on that he was a competent corpsman.
He was a Muslim married to a Korean national, and there was no prejudice coming home? I don't buy it.

I think they should have gotten Allan Arbus as Sidney Freedman to come in. He could have been the real "fish out of water;" big city psychiatrist comes to small mid-west town to minister to the veterans.

The production was clearly rushed, also. The pilot and some of the early episodes could have stood some polishing. It's hard to believe Larry Gelbart took co-creator/consultant credit. His contribution was clearly non-evident.

I know this is long, but everyone who criticizes this show never does it constructively. It's always "That show should never have happened." The idea had potential, it was just never exploited. The main problem being they spun off a middle of the road show from a show that was never middle of the road even when it was mediocre.

Steve
mashfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:58 PM   #8
mashfan
Occasional Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Thong
Funnier than the original series?

In fact, the show was doing so badly, they overhauled the show for the second season, replacing a couple of cast members and resorting to putting Klinger back in drag.
I heartily disagree with your disagree.

The 80sExchange http://www.80sxchange.com/80s_charts/83-84.html shows that AfterMASH ended No. 14 for the 83-84 season. Top twenty shows usually don't get retooled, unless the network was unhappy with the show in some way. It fell off the map, I think, because it was successful (it was in MASHes old time slot, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM) and the netowork moved it to an anchor position on another night (I believe on Saturdays) where it got clobbered.

So why was it retooled? Because there was no "Hawkeye." Jamie Farr has said on a couple of occasions that he thought he would move into the position that Alan Alda occupied on MASH. A ludicrous notion at best. They tried two male leads, Jay O. Saunders as Gene Pfiefer until episode 15, then David Aykroyd as Mark Boyer. Both of these characters were not defined enough. Boyer was particularly problematic. He was an ex-MASH doctor who had post traumatic stress. Since we never get to see any of the 4077th doctors post MASH except Potter, Boyer was supposed to replace Hawkeye, BJ or Charles.

It might have been better if Boyer came in to General General as a patient, and moved up to a full staff member. But the PTS was down played early on.

I do believe, however, if AfterMASH had remained in the MASH timeslot, the producers would have had an opportunity to work out the bugs.

Steve
mashfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:34 PM   #9
RLent
Occasional Poster

I admit it, I liked AfterMash when it was on the air. It wasn't better than MASH, not by a long shot. But I guess I didn't want to let MASH go.

One of the difficulties was that the characters, both on MASH and AfterMash did not think or act like they were from the early 50's. This worked better on MASH, because it was more removed from the "reality" of civilian life at home. It is difficult to talk about the post Korean War experience with characters who don't think and act like they belong in that time period.

Klinger's wife was, to say the least, atypical of asian war brides of the time. The culture shock was phenomenal. European war brides also experienced culture shock, but it wasn't as large.

But I think the show had too much baggage to ever find its own way
RLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:13 AM   #10
FBMcFLY
Occasional Poster

The main reason this show tanked was because no one cared about the characters except Klinger, and he wasn't enough. Mulcahy was a joke. The writing was also very weak. It could of been sooooooo much better, but I still liked the show overall.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
TJL
Suburbanite Extrordinaire
Forum Veteran

The original was far superior.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:22 AM   #12
FBMcFLY
Occasional Poster

I agree. But you have to remember, even if AfterMash was an awesome show that ran 10 years, nothing is going to compare to the original. Especially a classic like M*A*S*H.
FBMcFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #13
90210 Dude
stuck in the 80s
Frequent Poster

Though I'm in the minority amongst my friends, I loved MASH but I have to admit, never knew about AfterMASH!!!! I wish they would start showing reruns, caz I never heard of it before until now! that is wicked, its like a whole a new show for me! Its kinda ironic for me though caz Colonel Potter and Klinger weren't exactly my favourites. Who Cares! more MASH!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
MASHMan
Occasional Poster

"Mashfan", you don't know know how eerily on-the-mark you are with that first post of yours! In 2002, I spoke to Jamie Farr about the sequel series and your description is pretty much EXACTLY the concept he had had in mind when he was involved in the early genesis of "AfterMASH." In Jamie's words, he had hoped the series would be more like the classic Oscar-winning film "The Best Years of Our Lives", showing what happened to the veterans after they came home and the struggles and experiences they went through.

Jamie also confirmed to me that changes (poorly conceived ones, in my opinion) that occurred in the second season came by the orders of CBS in a (bad) attempt to make the series funnier than the first season.

Correction on your second post, though. "AfterMASH" took over the timeslot that had been vacated by "M*A*S*H", but it was MONDAY nights at 9 (Eastern/Pacific). Then after being bumped that spring by a new series called "Kate and Allie", "AfterMASH" returned in the summer on Sunday nights, where the reruns finished around the middle of the pack in the Nielsens. (It never aired on Saturday nights.) The second season premiere also aired on Sunday at 8:00 and finished in the top 10 programs for the week. Then the season's second episode aired two nights later in the sacrificial lamb timeslot opposite NBC's powerhouse series "The A-Team", forcing "AfterMASH"'s eventual "on hiatus" status in November of '84, the airing of the next-to-last episode on a Friday night in May of '85, and the abrupt pulling of the final episode that was supposed to air right after that.
MASHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

I wish I could have seen this series