Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Default Maureen McCormick Boycotts 'Tropic Thunder' For Poking Fun At The Disabled

Former Brady Bunch pin-up Maureen McCormick has pledged to boycott Ben Stiller's war comedy Tropic Thunder as part of a protest about the film's use of the word retard.

The actress has joined activists who are protesting the movie's controversial scenes, which poke fun at the disabled. The protesters were out in force at the film's Hollywood premiere earlier this month.

In a blog post, McCormick writes, "I haven't seen the movie and I won't go see the movie because of what I've heard, but I want to add my two cents to the opinions on whether it's offensive to the mentally challenged.

"I know Ben Stiller has said that he's making fun of actors, not people with disabilities. Still, the movie is geared toward a younger crowd and I fear a lot of those teenagers and college students will leave the theater thinking 'r**ard' is (an) okay word to use. It's not. It's taken years to get people to stop using that word."

Disability advocacy groups are calling for a boycott of the film, which is the current box office favourite, after taking offense to a scene in the film, in which Stiller and Robert Downey Jr.'s characters discuss how to play a special needs person.

McCormick, who has a mentally handicapped brother, is a supporter of Best Buddies - an organization designed to enhance the lives of those with intellectual disabilities.

(This news article provided by World Entertainment News Network)

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

Good for her! That has got to be my least favorite word in the entire english language.

(R.G. Armstrong as the Contractor in The Twilight Zone episode "Nothing in the Dark")
Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Good for Maureen! Hey, does anyone know how things turned out with her father? I remember she was on Dr. Phil (I think in May 2007) and I never heard anything else about it.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

She admits to not having actually seen it, so I'm not sure she's really entitled to an opinion. If she hasn't seen it, how could she know if it is offensive?

The word retard is short for "retarded" which literally means slow. It was a euphemism, and , like many euphemisms, it lost its euphemistic power and is now considered an insult.

Already the word special is losing its power and you can't tell someone they're special without fear of them taking it the wrong way.

I don't favor using derogatory terms to describe handicaps, but I grow tired of this mentality of euphemistically describing a handicap instead just saying it like it is. Some people are mentally deficient, that's a fact of life. If we would say it like it is we wouldn't have to keep coming up with a new term every 5 to 10 years.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
koalabears
Frequent Poster

I can see why Maureen might be offended, but Tropic Thunder seems to push the envelope especially with Robert Downey Jr. trying to look & act black in the movie! I'll probably still watch though!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfingers
She admits to not having actually seen it, so I'm not sure she's really entitled to an opinion. If she hasn't seen it, how could she know if it is offensive?...

It's sometimes possible to determine just from previews or coming attractions (or commercials) that a movie is distasteful enough to make someone not want to see it. In the same way, some movies look good in the coming attractions, but are not really that good when viewed with all the other things that happened besides what was shown in the previews.

By your reasoning, the only way she could ever criticize a movie is if she actually pays to go in and see it...and so until she does that, she is, in your words, "not entitled to an opinion".

I don't have to actually go in a theater and sit through some two hour piece o' crap that Michael Moore puts together to know that it's going to be offensive, because just about everything he does is offensive...imo.

Point is, she IS entitled to an opinion, whether she's seen the movie or not. What you or I or anyone else does with that opinion (in terms of taking or ignoring its advice) is up to the individual.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
desilu #1
Forum Regular
Lucy/Desi 4-EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfingers
She admits to not having actually seen it, so I'm not sure she's really entitled to an opinion. If she hasn't seen it, how could she know if it is offensive?

The word retard is short for "retarded" which literally means slow. It was a euphemism, and , like many euphemisms, it lost its euphemistic power and is now considered an insult.

Already the word special is losing its power and you can't tell someone they're special without fear of them taking it the wrong way.

I don't favor using derogatory terms to describe handicaps, but I grow tired of this mentality of euphemistically describing a handicap instead just saying it like it is. Some people are mentally deficient, that's a fact of life. If we would say it like it is we wouldn't have to keep coming up with a new term every 5 to 10 years.

She IS entitled to her opinion, It's her AMERICAN RIGHT! Just as you are.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

She is entitled to her opinion but I don't have to listen to it. I would listen to the word of someone who has seen the movie over someone who didn't.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

Quote:
Originally Posted by desilu #1
She IS entitled to her opinion, It's her AMERICAN RIGHT! Just as you are.

She's entitled to an opinion, but not to having her opinion taken seriously.

It's like the people who thought Anna Nicole should have gotten a lot of money on the assumption that a lot of money was left to her in the will. Had they done some research they'd realize that there was no will leaving her anything.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
janet42
Three's Company Fan!

When I was younger, it took me longer to learn at school, I was called retarded a lot by other kids. THAT WORD HURTS! It wasn't until 7th grade when I was able to transfer to a catholic school did that type of teasing stopped and I was able to catch up with my other classmates. I graduated with my classmates and have a great job for the past 10 years, and I also worked at another job for 11 1/2 years.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet42
When I was younger, it took me longer to learn at school, I was called retarded a lot by other kids. THAT WORD HURTS! It wasn't until 7th grade when I was able to transfer to a catholic school did that type of teasing stopped and I was able to catch up with my other classmates. I graduated with my classmates and have a great job for the past 10 years, and I also worked at another job for 11 1/2 years.

The word "retarded" simply means "slow", the fact that you were insulted by it shows the utter futility of euphemisms.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Ironically, Tropic Thunder was from the same studio that did the Bradys, Paramount!! [Through Dreamworks, maybe, but still the same studio since the Viacom buyout.]

"How about baby blue? To match your baby blue eyes?"
-Frank Nelson on "The Flintstones" (1961)

http://sjcarrasblog.blogspot.com-ORIGINAL GUMBY SERIES SITE

http://toonsnoot.blogspot.com
New-TOON SNOOT-Random posting on American animation trivial stuff from 1920s to early 70s.

ON FACEBOOK HERE AT:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001249396142