Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Mad About You links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Mad About You Photo Gallery


Mad About You - The Complete First Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete First Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Second Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Third Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Mad About You - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Mad About You - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mad About You Collection

Buy The Mad About You Collection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Mad About You
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
AngieTribeca
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 20, 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 98
Default Mill Creek Did a Sucky Job at Releasing the Series

I just got the complete series today and this set is done cheaper than any other release I have ever seen by Mill Creek. The discs come in cardboard inserts instead of sleeves and almost fly out when you open the box. Mill Creek literally put very little effort into this release!

This is just sad because fans have been wanting this for a very long time and now we are stuck with a sucky release. They could have spent top dollar on this set and given the fans much better.

I know they are known for doing affordable releases but this boxed set is inexcusable!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
thebigcookie
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,827
Default

Does this set have closed captioning, specifically 6 and 7? Mill Creek has been leaving out closed captions lately on their sets?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
bmasters9
Senior Member
Member
 
bmasters9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Location: Fountain Inn, SC
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieTribeca
I just got the complete series today and this set is done cheaper than any other release I have ever seen by Mill Creek. The discs come in cardboard inserts instead of sleeves and almost fly out when you open the box. Mill Creek literally put very little effort into this release!

Mad About You is not the only series that Mill Creek has done that subpar of a release of. Believe it or not, these series have also been done that way lately at Mill Creek's hands:

Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Soap
Starsky and Hutch
NewsRadio


...just to name a few.

However, there has been one bright spot with Mill Creek lately, and that was Future Cop (short-lived 1977 ABC police series w/the late Ernest Borgnine). It had a pilot film in 1976, six regular shows in 1977 (two of them being a two-parter that was presented as one film for this release), and a 1978 NBC follow-up called Cops and Robin. All of that was on two single-sided discs, and neither of them were in envelopes or cardboard sleeves. Instead, one was on a swinging panel, and the other was in a holder on the right inside of the case. This, IMO, was much better done than all those other shows' releases I mentioned above.
__________________
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
tlc38tlc38
Senior Member
Knock! Knock!
 
tlc38tlc38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 02, 2008
Location: In Raytown making crafts with Iola!
Posts: 8,475
Default

MAY isn't one of my favorite shows but I would like to own this set. Packaging doesn't really matter to be because I'm not a big fan of the show but you can bet I'd be mad if "Mama's Family" was released this way.
__________________
DIRECTV, please acquire Antenna TV

Please release the remaining seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies & Petticoat Junction
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Svenfan1234
Senior Member
Berwyn!
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 7,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
Mad About You is not the only series that Mill Creek has done that subpar of a release of. Believe it or not, these series have also been done that way lately at Mill Creek's hands:

Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Soap
Starsky and Hutch
NewsRadio


...just to name a few.

However, there has been one bright spot with Mill Creek lately, and that was Future Cop (short-lived 1977 ABC police series w/the late Ernest Borgnine). It had a pilot film in 1976, six regular shows in 1977 (two of them being a two-parter that was presented as one film for this release), and a 1978 NBC follow-up called Cops and Robin. All of that was on two single-sided discs, and neither of them were in envelopes or cardboard sleeves. Instead, one was on a swinging panel, and the other was in a holder on the right inside of the case. This, IMO, was much better done than all those other shows' releases I mentioned above.

Except the fact that those are in envelopes and this has cardboard inserts.
__________________
Berrrrwyn



Shout! Factory, PLEASE release a complete series set of St. Elsewhere!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Svenfan1234
Senior Member
Berwyn!
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 7,530
Default

I want to own this set, but I have others (Jeffersons, FOL, Hart to Hart, Quincy M.E., Batman, Wonder Years, etc.) I would like to get first.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
thebigcookie
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,827
Default

I have Mill Creek's Good Times complete series and the packaging on it is bad with the cardboard sleeves too and on top of that Seasons 5 and 6 have no captions. At least with What's Happening, the packaging is good because it's in a standard case, probably because it only had 3 seasons. But the bad thing about that one is nothing was captioned on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
bmasters9
Senior Member
Member
 
bmasters9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Location: Fountain Inn, SC
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
Except the fact that those are in envelopes and this has cardboard inserts.

Actually, the ones I have listed also have had the cardboard insert versions, based on what I've seen from shopping at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Svenfan1234
Senior Member
Berwyn!
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 7,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
Actually, the ones I have listed also have had the cardboard insert versions, based on what I've seen from shopping at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville.

Oh. How would you know? Do you open it up?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
bmasters9
Senior Member
Member
 
bmasters9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Location: Fountain Inn, SC
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
Oh. How would you know? Do you open it up?

No, I do not do that. The best way to find out about that is to research it on EBay; simply type in the name of the show you want, then "complete series DVD," and there will be listings for that show's full-series release(s), some with pictures of the same. This is the method I use to find out what some of these Mill Creek releases have looked like.

BTW, it also works with single seasonal releases; type in the name of the show you want, and then "season DVD." You'll also get results, some with pictures of unboxing, for the various seasonal releases of any show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
Svenfan1234
Senior Member
Berwyn!
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 7,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
No, I do not do that. The best way to find out about that is to research it on EBay; simply type in the name of the show you want, then "complete series DVD," and there will be listings for that show's full-series release(s), some with pictures of the same. This is the method I use to find out what some of these Mill Creek releases have looked like.

BTW, it also works with single seasonal releases; type in the name of the show you want, and then "season DVD." You'll also get results, some with pictures of unboxing, for the various seasonal releases of any show.

Oh, cool! I have the complete series of "21 Jump Street" and "The Commish" and they both have envelopes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
AngieTribeca
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 20, 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 98
Default

My problem is with the way this particular set was released. It was an highly anticipated release and should have been treated as such. Many of Mill Creek's releases were shows already available in complete series format by other companies so there was no need to do a nicer release as true fans already owned the first releases.

I have been waiting for the entire series of this show to come out for years. I owned the previous releases and was devastated when the new seasons stopped coming out. When I heard Mill Creek was releasing a complete series was super excited because their releases are usually somewhat decent and are cheaper than most sets. I would have preferred paper sleeves stacked on each other than this nightmare. I quickly removed the DVDs and put them in a better storage case.

They should have released this like VEI did with their recent releases. They cut back on the initial DVD case per season and opted for 2 big cases holding multiple seasons. I was not a fan of receiving sets like that but I prefer that to what Mill Creek did with this show.

This is why I only buy complete series sets from Shout Factory, Time Life, VEI and occasionally Warner Brothers because they know how to release a series. The rest of these companies spend top dollar on releasing individual seasons decently then releasing the complete series as cheaply as possible.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.