Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC to Air Special 4 Week Edition of Dancing with the Stars; House of Payne Spin-off Premieres Jan. 16 on OWN
2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #106
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by howilu
There was the possibility of a Laverne & Shirley spinoff titled "Lenny and Squiggy in the Army" but it never happened, thus saving a potential shark jump.

Yes, but there was a short-lived cartoon called Laverne & Shirley In The Army around the same time that L&S jumped the shark by moving to California.

Maybe Lenny & Squiggy should have spun off once the show relocated -- it was never the same after the move.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 AM   #107
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

There was a proposed spin-off to Roseanne that fell through due to contract negotiations failing between FOX and ABC.

Roseanne Barr decided to stop negotiating it and chose not to do the character further after the show ended.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #108
McGillicuddy

It seems to me they tried to make a spin-off from Eight is Enough with Grant Goodeve as David being an adventurer or something.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #109
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

in the 70s, they were going to make a spin-off from "ALL IN THE FAMILY" about Fr. Muljeshky; who was a priest on some of the early episode; played by Benard Hughes.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #110
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Diagnosis: Murder had three attempts to launch a spin-off and all of them failed to get picked up.

- The first attempt at a spin-off was an episode in Season 5 called "A Mime Is A Terrible Thing To Waste". The name of the proposed spin-off is unknown.

- The second attempt was also in Season 5 as a two-part episode named "Retribution" meant to star Fred Dryer as "The Chief". It did not get picked up.

- The final attempt was in Season 6 in an episode called "Blood Ties". It was meant to launch "Detective Amy Devlin" (Kathy Evison) and "Detective Taylor Lucas" (Zoe McLellan) into their own show titled Whistlers which never got picked up.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #111
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

there was an attempt to make a spin-off of "STAR TREK" in its second season, about a character named Gary Seven and his partner Roberta Lincoln (played by Terri Garr). The pilot was shown as an episode of "STAR TREK" but the show never materialized.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #112
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMont Demo
On ‘The Twilight Zone’, the “Mr. Bevis” episode was intended as a pilot for a spinoff series, but when the targeted casting (Mr. Burgess Meredith) failed to fall into place, it was just filmed as a regular episode. Then the concept of this ‘pilot’ was extended into the “Cavender is Coming” episode (guest starring Miss Carol Burnett), which may have been a second try to craft a spinoff as a straight out comedy featuring a funny angel...if this had been picked up, we might not have had 'The Carol Burnett Show' instead.

The episode "Cavender is Coming" was the basis for a proposed series starring Jesse White who returns to Earth each week as an angel to help those like Agnes Grep but of course it never materialized. It also had nothing to do with whether or not The Carol Burnett Show would've been seen since the series was never intended for her.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #113
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

The recent sci-fi series Andromeda was supposed to get a spin-off.

During the filming of the final season the surviving cast members (who weren't going to be killed off) were attempting to pitch their own show as a continutation of the series.

It never happened.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #114
Bronson
Forum Regular

I would have liked to have seen Faith, the Vampire Slayer but the actress wanted to do something different. I can understand that.

I thought they were going to do a spinoff of Sabrina with her cousin in that witches school.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #115
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson
I would have liked to have seen Faith, the Vampire Slayer but the actress wanted to do something different. I can understand that.

I thought they were going to do a spinoff of Sabrina with her cousin in that witches school.

The "Faith" spin-off I don't think ever got past them talking about it or the planning stages. I believe Whedon gave the idea to Dusku but she was set on leaving for Tru Calling and the idea was scrapped.

I'm unfamiliar with Sabrina so I can't help with that one.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #116
Bronson
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The "Faith" spin-off I don't think ever got past them talking about it or the planning stages. I believe Whedon gave the idea to Dusku but she was set on leaving for Tru Calling and the idea was scrapped.

I'm unfamiliar with Sabrina so I can't help with that one.

Thanks for the clarification. They wanted to do a spinoff of WonderWoman with Debra Winger as Wonder Girl but she turned it down then they wanted another spinoff with the actress from the Facts of Life. It could have been good but that was scrapped for whatever reason.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #117
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson
Thanks for the clarification. They wanted to do a spinoff of WonderWoman with Debra Winger as Wonder Girl but she turned it down then they wanted another spinoff with the actress from the Facts of Life. It could have been good but that was scrapped for whatever reason.

Who from Facts of Life?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #118
HHorseman
Frequent Poster

Wasnt their rumours of a spin off Will @ Grace,called Jack @ Karen
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #119
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
I remember a couple that never got off the ground on CBS:

In the summer of 1978, I remember reading in a magazine (I think it was US which ran bi-weekly) that the upcoming season of "Rhoda" was going to marry off 'Rhoda's' sister 'Brenda' to 'Benny' and eventually 'spin off' "Brenda" to Connecticuit in early 1979.

Sure enough, Brenda's engagement was written into the storyline of Rhoda's 5th season, but "Rhoda" was cancelled in early December, 1978 - without Brenda's wedding taking place. (Didn't CBS realize 'married' women in MTM productions were not that funny?)
In 1980, they also wanted to spin-off Carlton in an animated series called "Carlton Your Doorman."

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0302387/

I vaguely remember an episode of "Married... with Children" that was an attempted spin-off promoting itself as an "Anti-Friends" kind of show.

"That's So Raven's" episode "Goin' Hollywood" was intended as a spin-off about a child actress(Alyson Stoner) seeking a normal life with help from her cousin(Allie Grant) called "I Know Lindy."

A lot of times you can just tell when a TV episode is an attempted spin-off. If it focuses more on a guest star than the main cast, it's often a clue that it's a spin-off.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #120
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

This one's not a sitcom, but I had to mention my favorite show.
In the 7th. season, there was "The Coltons" episode of MacGyver that was intended to be a spin-off series about the bounty-hunting exploits of the Colton family. I imagine MacGyver and possibly other characters may have made the occasional guest star appearance. I would've watched it.
For another potential spin-off from a show that is a sitcom, I have heard that Charles in Charge had some potential spin-offs. In the 5th. season, the episodes "Fair Exchange" and "Almost Family" were apparently spin-off attempts revolving around previously unseen distant family members of Charles and/or the Powells. That seems kind of weird in itself, since most sitcom spin-offs typically take existing characters from a hit show and put them in their own series.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)