Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC to Air Special 4 Week Edition of Dancing with the Stars; House of Payne Spin-off Premieres Jan. 16 on OWN
2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #46
Du Mont
Forum Regular

Default Mr. Bevis spinoff pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Do you have any proof that Burgess Meredith was originally targeted for the the "Mr. Bevis" role? This is the first I've heard about it.
It's pretty widely known that Mr. Meredith was supposed to be Mr. Bevis.

Here's a source:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:198314
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #47
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMont Demo
It's pretty widely known that Mr. Meredith was supposed to be Mr. Bevis.

Here's a source:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:198314

Thanks, Still can't believe I wasn't aware of this or at least I don't recall ever hearing about it. I'm glad you gave a somewhat credible source rather that IMDb or Wikipedia.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #48
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokedude
They tried to spinoff "Horshack" from "Welcome Back Kotter" (don't think that was the title though). ABC did air the pilot. Ironically, the show co-starred John Travolta's sister, Ellen.

The Horshack spinoff aired as a Welcome Back, Kotter episode. During the second season, I think. It showed him at home with his brothers and sisters. After seeing it, I'm glad they didn't go forward with it, because the characters were pretty annoying and I don't think it would have lasted.

The Lenny and Squiggy spinoff was titled Lenny And Squiggy Join The Army or something like that. They were the only good thing about Laverne & Shirley, so I'm glad they didn't go forward with it. I'm not sure if they shot an actual pilot show for that or not.

They wanted to give Fonzie his own spinoff from Happy Days, but Henry Winkler wisely vetoed that. He knew he had a good thing with a great cast and already was on a hit show, so why would he want to mess with that?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #49
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMont Demo
‘Batgirl’ was originally filmed as a short pilot presentation for a ‘Batman’ spinoff that was not picked up, and the Batgirl character was then folded into the ‘Batman’ series for its final season.

The reason for the short Batgirl pilot film was not to give the character her own series, but rather, for the show's producers to sell the concept of bringing Batgirl onto the show to the ABC programming executives.

The show's ratings had dropped precipitously in the second season and the producers thought bringing Batgirl into the mix would be a surefire gimmick that would help restore the show's falling ratings. It wasn't.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #50
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronzzz
The spin-off that upsets me the most is "The Ropers". I liked the show but when it ended after its brief run, I dont think the Ropers were never invited back to Three's Company.

From what I've read, Norman Fell didn't want to do the spinoff, but was pressured into it by the Three's Company producers. There was a clause in Fell's Ropers contract that said if the show was cancelled within the first year, he and Audra Lindley's characters would be allowed back on Company.

The show's producers and the network knew the show was to be cancelled, but they waited until after the year ran out. Shortly after the year anniversary, the show was officially cancelled.

Fell tried to get back on Three's Company but was told that it was over a year, too bad.

I think he and Audra Lindley were screwed. I never liked the Ralph Furley character and the Ropers' return would have been most welcome to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #51
Jude The Obscure
Retired

just wanted to add to Brian Damage's original post re: FOL spinoffs--he left off two. 1) Brian and Sylvia starring a then unknown Richard Dean Anderson and Lynne Moody as Tootie's aunt who marries a white guy (the pilot is boring as all get out) 2) Two episodes focused on Stone Military Academy, and would have starred Jimmy Baio as the Jo type male character, while the others were the counterparts to Blair, Natalie and Tootie.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #52
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I know of a couple:

There was a spin-off to the NICKELODEON 90s sitcom Clarissa Explains It All in the works after the show ended.
It was called Clarissa Now and it was set to be picked up by CBS. The premise of this one was showing "Clarissa" (Melissa Joan Hart) working as an intern for a New York City newspaper.
For whatever reason CBS choose not to do the series and only the pilot was filmed. I am not sure if CBS ever released the pilot but NICKELODEON did show it a few times.
One year later, Melissa Joan Hart went on to star in Sabrina, The Teenage Witch.

In 1995, a television sitcom based off of the Kevin Smith film Clerks. was in the works. Kevin Smith and nobody from "his world" were part of it, as they were filming his 2nd film Mallrats during this time.
The sitcom was supposed to be about the daily lives of Dante and Randall (the characters from the film Clerks.) working in the grocery store. However, it was set to be toned down greatly for the television audience and was set to feature "Saved By The Bell-ish" problems rather than the more adult tones used in the film
The filming of the pilot stopped mid-way and footage from this has never been seen in public. Keri Russell was said to have been involved with it.
*Clerks. did come to tv once more. A short-lived animated series aired on ABC twice in 1999 before being pulled.

Last edited by JamesG : 01-22-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #53
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Here's another one that I remembered, though it is not a sitcom.

A spin-off to Buffy the Vampire Slayer was being considered by creator Joss Whedon. It was to focus on the character "Faith" (played by Eliza Dushku).

This premise never got past the planning stages and nothing ever materialized. Eliza Dushku was more interested in the show Tru Calling at the time, which turned out not being very successful and only lasted 2 seasons.

ANGEL was the spin-off that came from Buffy and had a good run of 5 seasons.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #54
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
From what I've read, Norman Fell didn't want to do the spinoff, but was pressured into it by the Three's Company producers. There was a clause in Fell's Ropers contract that said if the show was cancelled within the first year, he and Audra Lindley's characters would be allowed back on Company.

The show's producers and the network knew the show was to be cancelled, but they waited until after the year ran out. Shortly after the year anniversary, the show was officially cancelled.

Fell tried to get back on Three's Company but was told that it was over a year, too bad.

I think he and Audra Lindley were screwed. I never liked the Ralph Furley character and the Ropers' return would have been most welcome to me.
oh; sothat's what the real story about that is! I remember, about 10 years ago, "THE E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY" did an episode about "THREE'S COMPANY" and in an interview with Norman Fell where he was talking about "THE ROPERS" he said that he left "TC" with the understanding that he could return if "TR" failed, like you said. But when it did "I said to them 'Allright, now I can go back to THREE'S COMPANY, right? And they said 'Oh no, you can't go back. We've recast your part'. So I was screwed".

And I've been thinking all these years that theres got to be more to that story.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #55
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
oh; sothat's what the real story about that is! I remember, about 10 years ago, "THE E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY" did an episode about "THREE'S COMPANY" and in an interview with Norman Fell where he was talking about "THE ROPERS" he said that he left "TC" with the understanding that he could return if "TR" failed, like you said. But when it did "I said to them 'Allright, now I can go back to THREE'S COMPANY, right? And they said 'Oh no, you can't go back. We've recast your part'. So I was screwed".

And I've been thinking all these years that theres got to be more to that story.

I think I read it in the book, Come And Knock On Our Door. It seemed like after the third season, Three's Company started to fall apart. It got its bearings back in the sixth season, but it was never the same.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #56
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I dont know if this show ever got past the idea stage, but I read an interview once with Steve Kanaly and he was talking about the creators of Dallas doing a Ray and Donna spinoff(kinda like what they did with Gary and Val for Knots Landing). I'm glad they didnt because Ray was an important part of the show.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #57
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I dont know if this show ever got past the idea stage, but I read an interview once with Steve Kanaly and he was talking about the creators of Dallas doing a Ray and Donna spinoff(kinda like what they did with Gary and Val for Knots Landing). I'm glad they didnt because Ray was an important part of the show.

I don't think Ray was a strong enough character to have his own show. He was better as a supporting character, IMO.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #58
spreckenzeedeu
Forum Regular
form.known.as iris*happydays

Thumbs down

Quote:
Happy Days: Ralph and Potsie - living together in apartment

Even tho I love the Guys ... I don't think, that would have worked for a long Run. Shrugs.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #59
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris*happydays
Even tho I love the Guys ... I don't think, that would have worked for a long Run. Shrugs.

Some characters are better in supporting roles.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #60
OOliver
Forum Regular

I remember a couple that never got off the ground on CBS:

In the summer of 1978, I remember reading in a magazine (I think it was US which ran bi-weekly) that the upcoming season of "Rhoda" was going to marry off 'Rhoda's' sister 'Brenda' to 'Benny' and eventually 'spin off' "Brenda" to Connecticuit in early 1979.

Sure enough, Brenda's engagement was written into the storyline of Rhoda's 5th season, but "Rhoda" was cancelled in early December, 1978 - without Brenda's wedding taking place. (Didn't CBS realize 'married' women in MTM productions were not that funny?)

In May, 1986 CBS wanted to spin-off "Julia", a character introduced in one episode of their hit sitcom "Kate and Allie" (which served as the 'pilot').

'Julia' was played by actress Lindsay Wagner; the character was a recently divorced woman who moves back to NYC from LA. She was a full-time drama teacher, and taught cooking classes on the side - which is how she meets her new friends. I remember it was not a funny episode and luckily CBS never followed through with it.