Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 18, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Talking spinoffs that never happened!

There have been proposed spinoffs for many shows. The following are spinoffs that were planned or had one pilot but never materialized after that. Which ones would you have loved to have seen get a chance? If you know of any others please let me know.

1. Jackie(jackee')- the spinoff from the sitcom 227, starring Jackie from Sister, Sister fame.

2. Nick - the spinoff from Family Ties, starring Nick the boyfriend of Mallory. The premise is he moves to NY with his sister.

3. The Facts of Life actually had 3 spinoffs planned and nothing really materialized.
a.) a spinoff featuring Jo's cousins
b.) a spinoff where Natalie moves to NY to become a writer
c.) a spinoff where Blair buys Eastland school and becomes headmaster. That spinoff had Seth Green, Juliet Lewis and the future star of Blossom( I forget her name)

I know there were several others, however, I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
Tiger32
Forum Regular

Cool Nick would not have lasted a month!

I think it would be funny to see how quickly the networks would have pulled the plug on Nick. My guess is that it would not have made it to its 4th episode. I think the rest probably would have made to the 13th episode before being canceled.

Last edited by Tiger32 : 02-05-2002 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
ClassicComedyFan2
Forum Regular
Coolicious!

Send a message via AIM to ClassicComedyFan2 Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicComedyFan2

Happy Days:
Ralph and Potsie - living together in apartment
Scooby and Scrappy Doo with the Fonz - pulled from last minute by ABC, animated L&S premiered instead.

Laverne & Shirley:
Lenny & Squiggy - no plot known

Brady Bunch:
Kelly's Kids - w/ Ken Barry as a guy who adopts a PC group of kids
Old 02-10-2002, 11:46 PM   #4
LucyFan
Still Loving Lucy!

I Love Lucy:
The Mertzes- unfortunitely Vivian Vance refused to do this spin-off because she didn't like working with Bill Frawley.

Here's Lucy:
The Lucie Arnaz Show (1973)- CBS didn't accept the pilot. The pilot was actually an episode of Here's Lucy but it served as a pilot for Lucie Arnaz's show.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
Caysei
First Time Poster

Default spinoff that never happened

Does anyone remember when the show Martin ended? The character Pam (Tichina Arnold) was supposed to be in the spinoff, along with Jenna Oy (The Parkers). They were supposed to be working in the music industry at a record label.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Tiger32
Forum Regular

Cool Martin Ended in May 1997

The show Martin ended in 1997. I think it lasted 5 years, it is currently in syndication. The show could have gone on for a couple more years, but there was a sexual harrassmant suit filed by Tisha Cambell-Martin against Martin Lawerence.

Martin Lawerence then decided that he had enough.

I never heard of a Tinicha Arnold spinoff, but that would have been great, particularly if they had kept Tommy as her boyfriend.

However, I think that the window of oppurtunity has passed on that possibility, since it has been 5 years since the show has been off the air.

Last edited by Tiger32 : 02-14-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Wink

I also believe there was a spinoff planned for the Jeffersons involving their maid Florence. I think the concept had her managing a hotel, but for whatever reason decided to back out of it.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 02-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
Tiger32
Forum Regular

Marla Gibbs did not get her Jefferson spinoff, but she did get her own series on NBC (titled 227), in which she was the lead character as opposed to her supporting role on the Jeffersons.

But I think this talented actress would have been good in a Jefferson's spinoff as well. If she had the courage to stand up to George Jefferson, than she could have stood up to anyone.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:51 PM   #9
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

Quote:
Originally posted by briandamage
I also believe there was a spinoff planned for the Jeffersons involving their maid Florence. I think the concept had her managing a hotel, but for whatever reason decided to back out of it.

This did happen, 4 episodes were aired. It was called Checking In. After the show was cancelled, Marla Gibbs returned to The Jeffersons.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #10
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Unhappy

When you think about it, it really is a shame that some of these spinoffs never took off. I mean a quality actress like Marla Gibbs was only given 4 episodes of her own show??? I mean shows need time to develop, characters to be established and most importantly a chance for chemistry to arise. Four episodes cannot do that! For some of these other spinoffs that never took off, it's a shame that "The Mertzes" couldn't develop because of foolish bickering. There was a definite magic between Vance and Frawley that would have made that show its own classic.
As for Lenny & Squiggy, it would have been great to see that show come about. I guess Gary Marshall felt that they were too valuable to Laverne & Shirley to spinoff?? What a shame, that too could've possibly been a hit. I suppose that's a reason alot of spinoffs don't happen, because the producer's are afraid that losing these characters will jepardize their current hits. That's why I feel the best characters to do spinoffs with, are the ones that have smaller roles. Like the gym teacher on Growing Pains, Maude, Lionel Jefferson, Mork etc,etc...
Old 03-13-2002, 12:10 PM   #11
winkwilliams
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to winkwilliams
Default Radar

One spin off that never made it past the pilot stage was Gary Burghoff in "Radar." CBS did air the pilot during summer, they burned it off, right after an "After Mash" rerun.
Anyone recall "Gloria" a dreadful spin off of "All In the Family?" It's premise was that Gloria and meathead divorced and she was on her own working at a animal clinic outside the city. Carol O'Conner was producer of the pilot but dumped when it went to series by star Sally Struthers. She replaced all of his people and Carol O'Conner was royally pissed for many years. I saw the original pilot that featured Carol. It never aired in this form and shows Archie driving his little girl and Joey in a pick up to her new home. That intro was cut from the aired version and he is never mentioned or seen again in "Gloria" at Carol's command. It was dreadful and canned after one year.
The Mertzes? That's a new one to me. I think it is an urban legend. No spin off was ever in the works that I have ever read or heard about.

"I may be desperate, but I'm not dead."
Old 03-14-2002, 12:11 AM   #12
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Actually, Gloria did mention Archie a few times.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
bb
Forum Regular

Emergency!!! ,during its run there was a show featuring a team of vets, kinda of like an animal Emergency. TV Land showed it a few times back when they carried Emergency. I remember the scene of Julie London smoking those long cigarettes watching a tv news report about I believe the rescue of an animal. I also believe this was the episode where Dr. Brackett saves a goat at Rampart.

Also during the run of the Brady Bunch there was a show starring Ken Berry ( just after Mayberry RFD ) about him and his adopted kids , I believe that was supposed to have been a spin off too , but that too never happened.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:10 PM   #14
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

Okay, this isn't a sitcom, but bear with me...
I just remembered an episode of "In The Heat Of The Night" where Bubba Skinner travelled to L.A. to solve a case. It was a real fish out of water episode, with good ol' boy Bubba mixing it up with the ultra hip citizens of Los Angeles. He got mixed up with this big insurance company that wanted him to become a member of thei investigation team. Alas, Bubba decided to return to Sparta.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
Old 03-19-2002, 04:46 AM   #15
karaokedude
Frequent Poster

They tried to spinoff "Horshack" from "Welcome Back Kotter" (don't think that was the title though). ABC did air the pilot. Ironically, the show co-starred John Travolta's sister, Ellen.