Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 25, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #76
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
I loved Police Squad and the Naked Gun films. I got to get Square Pegs.

You don't know what you're missing, "king of comedy"! "Square Pegs" is an underrated gem!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #77
TVSCREEN2015
Frequent Poster

Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)

It's Your Move (1984-1985)

Trophy Wife (2013-2014)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #78
D-Dey
Win The War!

"The Hard Times of R.J. Berger" could've had one more season.

"Popular" probably could've used one too.

I agree about "Grand."

I wouldn't have minded an extra season of "My Talk Show."

Although I liked "I Didn't Do It," it appeared that if that show got a third season, it would've been reformatted a second time. I'm not sure that would've been such a good idea.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #79
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Square Pegs
Quark
Good Morning, World
The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.
Tales Of The Gold Monkey
My So Called Life
Freaks & Geeks
Married To The Kellys
Wizards & Warriors
Police Squad
My Mother The Car

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #80
irehtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
"The Hard Times of R.J. Berger" could've had one more season.

"Popular" probably could've used one too.

I agree about "Grand."

I wouldn't have minded an extra season of "My Talk Show."

Although I liked "I Didn't Do It," it appeared that if that show got a third season, it would've been reformatted a second time. I'm not sure that would've been such a good idea.

I agree about "Popular (1999-2001)".

Others that should be included, but may need rebooting in the future alternatively, are:

"Maybe It's Me (2001-2002)"
"Do Over (2002-2003)"
"Greetings From Tucson (2002-2003)"
"Run Of The House (2003-2004)"
Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #81
AMackII
Forum Regular

Saved by the Bell: The College Years
Parker Lewis Cant Lose
Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
Batman(1966)
Wonder Woman
Star Trek
Hello Larry
The Mothers In Law
Grady
The American Girls
The Rouges
My So Called Life
True Colors
Robin's Hoods
The Time Tunnel
Melba
Bionic Woman(1976)
I've Got a Secret(1972 Revival)
Starcade
Just the Ten of Us
The Torkelsons
The Babysitters Club
Living Dolls
The Amazing Spiderman
Sports Night
Freaks and Geeks
The Associates
Co-ed Fever
The Robert Gulliame Show
The Lucie Arnaz Show
To Tell The Truth(1980 Revival)
The Colbys

Last edited by AMackII : 01-16-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #82
Nordy
Gilmore Guy and Proud of it!!

This show definitely!!!

Angie with Donna Pescow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJ3KqxgyjQ
Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #83
Yong Fang

Best of the West (1981) One of the funniest one season wonders of all time. There is like three episodes out there on YouTube which I watched and the show was still funny as hell.

The Good Guys (2012) This show had Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks playing cops. Whitford was this goofy cop, straight from the 1970's who was crazy and Hanks played his straight man. Every week was a different set of "bad guys" who were mostly stupid, funny, idiot people themselves. The show was filmed in Dallas. Added bonus, the girl who played Hank's love interest was gorgeous. Cancelled...(me mad.)

Dads (2013) The show "Dads" to me was absolutely hilarious. I sort of avoided it because the "reviewers" hated it, I watched the first episode and I was literally hurt from laughter at the end of the episode and I watched every episode and the humor was still there. It was somewhat crude at times, but less than "2 Broke Girls".

Honorable mention...Harry's Law on NBC which lasted about 1.5 seasons. Excellent legal comedy/drama which did tell good stories and people who did see it liked it, problem is that not enough people saw it, and NBC has a pretty low bar on ratings to cancellation and is the most willing to give a show a chance.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #84
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
Best of the West (1981) One of the funniest one season wonders of all time. There is like three episodes out there on YouTube which I watched and the show was still funny as hell.

There's a lot more than 3 episodes on YouTube. I think every episode of the series is on there. I watched them all a while back and I agree, it's a funny show. I read somewhere that it got the green light for a 2nd season, but Joel Higgins quit because he wanted to do Silver Spoons.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...episode&page=1
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #85
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricGenius
Here's another one-season wonder, guys: the short-lived 1980 detective comedy/drama "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe," starring Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum (created, written, and executive produced by the late, great Stephen J. Cannell)! It's a travesty that ABC pulled it after only thirteen episodes...from what I understand, "TS&BS" was hugely successful at first (it even ranked in 29th place during the 1979-80 season, tied with "The ABC Sunday Movie" and "Vega$," and ahead of "Knots Landing"), due to the series being heavily promoted by ABC prior to its debut.

My theory was that the reason "TS&BS" was prematurely cancelled by ABC was because of heavy competition in its original timeslot, Sunday nights at 8 pm (it was scheduled opposite CBS's hit sitcoms "Archie Bunker's Place" and "One Day At A Time," and NBC's "The Big Event" [an "umbrella title" for special programming, such as "The Godfather Saga" {NBC edited "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II" into a single film, incorporating unseen footage from both films, for television in the late 1970s**]).

Despite its early success, ratings for "TS&BS" quickly plummeted, and ABC put it on hiatus in late March 1980. "TS&BS" returned two months later (in late May) in a new timeslot, Friday nights at 10 pm. The bad news was that the series was now scheduled opposite CBS's smash hit "Dallas." Needless to say, ratings for "TS&BS" nosedived even further, and ABC cancelled it permanently in late June 1980 after thirteen episodes.

Thankfully, the entire run was released on DVD by Mill Creek Entertainment in 2010--well, almost...sadly, Mill Creek couldn't obtain the rights to the pilot episode due to a disagreement from CBS Television Distribution (formerly Paramount Television); ergo, the Mill Creek DVD box set contains every episode of "TS&BS" except for the pilot. Oh, well...it would've been terrific had the pilot been included in the DVD box set, though; fortunately, the pilot is available for viewing on YouTube, so it's not a complete loss.

My final verdict for "TS&BS" is that it was yet another short-lived series that was "cancelled too soon" (there's been a lot of THAT going around for more than a half-century now); thankfully, I own the "almost complete" DVD box set, and I watch it occasionally. I've even watched the pilot on YouTube, and it is a gem.

I almost forgot, guys: Ben Vereen reprised the role of E.L. "Tenspeed" Turner nearly eight years after "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe's" cancellation on the short-lived drama "J.J. Starbuck" (also produced by Cannell) for its last five episodes in early 1988. Dale Robertson, the star of "J.J. Starbuck," had injured his leg and hip after falling off a horse on his Oklahoma ranch during a break in production in late 1987.

Robertson's off-camera injury was subsequently written into the series, and Vereen's character (the aforementioned E.L. "Tenspeed" Turner) was added to the cast as Starbuck's driver and travelling companion. Despite Vereen's best efforts, "J.J. Starbuck" was cancelled by NBC in the spring of 1988; it was subsequently replaced by the long-running crime drama "In The Heat Of The Night."
Old 03-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #86
WatcherofOldTV
Frequent Poster

Always felt the following shows were good and should have been on longer:
-Hooperman
-Jack's Place
-Arnie
Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 AM   #87
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

I can think of one off hand and that's Joan of Arcadia. I loved that show.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #88
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I wish The Torkelsons would have lasted longer. They made a big mistake when they moved them to Seattle and moved them in with another family. Especially since half the family dissappeared somewhere between Oklahoma and Seattle!?!?!

"The Ropers" & "Mama's Family" should've lated at least one more season.

"The Jeffersons" should've been given notice so they could've done a proper finale.

Please release the remaining seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies & Petticoat Junction
Old 03-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #89
Svenfan1234
Berwyn!

Here are some shows I think should have lasted longer:
The Jeffersons (to see a proper series finale)
The Dick Van Dyke Show
WKRP in Cincinnati
Freaks and Geeks
Hey Arnold! (at least we are getting a movie finally)
The Patty Duke Show (to see in color)
Mister Ed (to see in color)
Invader Zim

Shout! Factory, PLEASE release a complete series set of St. Elsewhere!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #90
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

NewsRadio - I don't mean it should have had another season. Without Phil Hartman, there was little point in continuing for too many more seasons. But the show had 97 episodes. I wish they had a few more episodes to make the total 100 or a little bit over.

(1) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2) Boy Meets World (3) Cheers (4) Community (5) Ellen (6) Grounded for Life (7) Hey Dude (8)The Honeymooners (9) I Love Lucy (10) The King of Queens (11) Married with Children (12) Mister Ed (13) The Munsters (14) Ned and Stacey (15) Newhart (16) NewsRadio (17) Night Court (18) Norm (19) The Office (20) Parks & Recreation (21) Rhoda (22) Spin City (23) Taxi (24) That 70s Show (25) Wings