Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #106
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777
Actually thats my Bush was not a political satire, it was a sitcom satire. It was poking fun at the entired sitcom genre. From the crazy neighbor to the ditzy blonde, to the catch line "one of these days Laura, Im gonna punch you in the face". And while it did have some political issues in it, it was more a satire of the sitcom than political.

A comedy making fun of sitcoms is like a magazine satire of National Lampoon.

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE:

REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS CHRIS CHRISTIE - SCOTT WALKER - RICK SNYDER - JOHN KASICH - RICK SCOTT - PAUL LEPAGE

ON THE CHARGE OF IMPERSONATING AN OFFICE!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #107
OKCRay
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCRay
Wow, SEVEN pages of posts and not one mention of "I Married Dora" yet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
What was that?

"I Married Dora" was a sitcom where a widowed architect with two children marries his Latin American housekeeper so she may avoid deportation. Daniel Hugh Kelly and Elizabeth Pena starred, Juliette Lewis was a space-cadet of a teenage daughter and Henry Jones played the head of the architect firm. This was one truly bizarre show (I have 9 of the 13 episodes on tape), and as already commented the final episode is memorable in that it mentions its own cancellation: an aircraft headed overseas apparently pulls back to the gate and Daniel Hugh Kelly's character reappears, saying "It's been cancelled". Pena responds, "The flight?", then Kelly replies "no, our series!". The camera pans back and the cast waves goodbye to the audience.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #108
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

That sounds bigoted. How about a "dramedy" about an Anglo-Hispanic marraige and the sociocultural issues involved? Make the Hispanic spouse a U.S. citizen? Nah, too deep for TV.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #109
OKCRay
Forum Regular

Quote:
That sounds bigoted. How about a "dramedy" about an Anglo-Hispanic marraige and the sociocultural issues involved? Make the Hispanic spouse a U.S. citizen? Nah, too deep for TV.

I don't think any bigotry was intended but that indeed WAS the premise of the show. I also remember seeing similar storylines used in episodes of other shows (one I remember off the top of my head was an episode of What's Happening!!! where a girl attempted to marry Rerun so she wouldn't be deported).

Last edited by OKCRay : 11-13-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #110
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

there was also an episode of "Taxi" called "Paper Marragie" where they aranged for Latca to pretend to marry a hooker, with two imigration officals watching, so he wouldn't get deported.
This episode also marked the first appearence of Reverend Jim.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 12-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #111
Bob's TV Treasures
Forum Regular

Default Some of the worst

Among the worst one-season wonders I've ever seen are
THE ELLEN BURSTYN SHOW
THE TROUBLE WITH TRACY
THE BAILEYS OF BALBOA
THE DUMPLINGS
ACCIDENTAL FAMILY
Old 02-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #112
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs down

Being a total Bewitched junkie, I rented the Tabitha series out of the library. Even though Lisa Hartman and Robert Urich were fun to watch, the series itself was no great shakes. It was the original PILOT, included on the DVD set as a bonus feature, that was TERRIBLE. It starred Liberty Williams (who??) in the title role and hasn't told her mortal boyfriend she's a witch. Sound familiar? It was a complete rip off of the Bewitched pilot. The scene where she tells him the truth is repeated verbatim from where Samantha tells Darrin the truth in the original. I can't believe Bill Asher was involved in this, and Elizabeth Montgomery (very rightly so) refused to have anything to do with it. All I can say is,

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #113
Mr. Tia
Occasional Poster

Quote:
in speaking of which, there was a short-lived show in the early 80s called "Condo," it pretty much killed mclean stevenson's career. it's rather bad, and rather racially insensitive too. (he has a condo and his neighbor is latino.) i never would have heard of it but it turned up on some dvd i had mixed in with some other, better shows.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0085000/

anyone ever heear of this thing? it seems to be super-obscure, it hasn't even gotten five ratings yet.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #114
snl 70s show fan

i agree condo was really bad and im one of mclean stevensons biggest fans but the show was horrable
Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #115
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

The less said about it the better.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #116
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tia
in speaking of which, there was a short-lived show in the early 80s called "Condo," it pretty much killed mclean stevenson's career.

I sort of remember Condo. The neighbor was played by Luis Avalos, who is probably best known for being a cast member of The Electric Company.

I don't remember much about it, really. I don't recall it being really good or very bad.

But the thing that really killed McLean Stevenson's career was leaving M*A*S*H in 1975. I think even he regretted it later, based on some comments he made in interviews. The poor guy could not catch a break with the many series he starred in the late '70s and '80s.

It's too bad, because Mac was a fine, likeable actor. Hello Larry managed to last a season and change and that was the closest he came to having a hit post-M*A*S*H.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #117
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
I sort of remember Condo. The neighbor was played by Luis Avalos, who is probably best known for being a cast member of The Electric Company.

I don't remember much about it, really. I don't recall it being really good or very bad.

But the thing that really killed McLean Stevenson's career was leaving M*A*S*H in 1975. I think even he regretted it later, based on some comments he made in interviews. The poor guy could not catch a break with the many series he starred in the late '70s and '80s.

It's too bad, because Mac was a fine, likeable actor. Hello Larry managed to last a season and change and that was the closest he came to having a hit post-M*A*S*H.

I would like to see his short-lived sho one day, "in the Beginning" from 78
Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #118
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Enos
Mr.T and Tina
Out of the Blue
My Mother the Car
Camp Runamuck
Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #119
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocker22
Enos
Mr.T and Tina
Out of the Blue
My Mother the Car
Camp Runamuck

I want to see the Out of the Blue episode with Mork from Mork and Mindy as a Guest
Old 02-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #120
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
I would like to see his short-lived sho one day, "in the Beginning" from 78

You didn't miss much. To think that show had free publicity from two papal conclaves in one year and it still didn't fly!

Stevenson played one of the least likable Catholic priests not affiliated with scandal in recent memory. One running joke was a young black volunteer at the priest's soup kitchen who was deaf but could talk without any difficulty. . . and his last name was Rockefeller!