Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in Fox History

I've been holding off doing one on the Fox network because out of all of the major American broadcast networks, Fox seems to be the one that's most notorious for mistreating/otherwise screwing over shows before their time:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...k/LiveActionTV

Other mistakes that immediately come to mind outside of this notion:
*Fox's late night failures outside of MADtv (i.e. The Late Show w/ Joan Rivers, The Wilton-North Report, and of course, The Chevy Chase Show).

*When they acquired the rights to the National Hockey League in 1994-95, they came up w/ the idea of a glowing hockey puck. I can somewhat understand Fox's rationale behind this, before the advent of HD-TV, the puck could be really hard to follow. It however, also turned the broadcasts into a video game (basically, a case of "style over substance") to the point in which it felt like a mockery. More the point, the novelty/gimmick was due to wear thin after a while.

*Turning the theme music for their NFL broadcasts into the "all purpose/universal" Fox Sports theme (meaning that it was also used for baseball, NASCAR, UFC, soccer, etc.).

*Any one of Fox's trashy, sleazy reality programming from the early 2000s:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...e/LiveActionTV
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

They had a great Friday night lineup of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction and Greed. 2 of the best shows they've ever aired, I think they did well but were cancelled way too soon, especially Greed. Cancelling Back to You instead of Til Death. Moving Touch to Fridays in its 2nd season, it might still be around if it had stayed on a weeknight.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Not giving Firefly a chance
Relying too much on animation if they gave nearly the time in live action shows as they do animation they'd have some decent shows
canceling Space Above And Beyond, The Adventures of Brisco County, and Danger Theatre but allowing The Simpsons to continue
not putting out good quality dramas their cable counterpart FX does a better job
Not allowing Married With Children to have a proper finale.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Proper or not the episode MWC ended was good enough for me when Kelly got married. IMO shows of a certain age should always treat their season finales as potential season finales and MWC should have seen the writing on the wall the way they were bounced all over the sked that season.
mr awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: Where we have the biggest failure of all time...at least with a mascot! I'm looking at you Chief Wahoo, who retires an unhappy mascot!

Having FOX just have Prime-Time Animation Lock, Stock, and Barrel!

Now don't get me wrong, I like "Family Guy" and "American Dad"...but with "The Simpsons" being the Cash Cow for FOX meant that they won't go away, even if Judge Doom dipped Springfield, Timbuktu, USA! (I call it Timbuktu since we'll never know what state "The Simpsons" live in)!

"The Simpsons" even drug-down FOX Animated Shows like "The Critic", "Futurama", and "Family Guy" in its 1st-Run. And Animation Domination seems to be the Prime-Time Animation Monopoly since ABC, NBC, and CBS tried Prime-Time Animation...and failed during the time "The Simpsons" have been on!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
mets82

I think that MWC deserved a better sendoff. I mean it helped the struggling FOX network get out of the box and no ending? Just a simple thank you and thats it??

Also, if you want to cancel The Simpsons, be careful what you wish for because the show that replaces it, could be a lot worse than The Simpsons.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
yankeesrj12

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
They had a great Friday night lineup of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction and Greed. 2 of the best shows they've ever aired, I think they did well but were cancelled way too soon, especially Greed. Cancelling Back to You instead of Til Death. Moving Touch to Fridays in its 2nd season, it might still be around if it had stayed on a weeknight.
I absolutely LOVED Beyond Belief: Factor or Fiction. One of the few shows I really miss having on television!
yankeesrj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Also, if you want to cancel The Simpsons, be careful what you wish for because the show that replaces it, could be a lot worse than The Simpsons.
Personally, I would view the indefinite (20+ years) original run of an animated floating timeline show with no character development or story arcs as a mistake. The Simpsons being let go as a first-run series would actually be a good thing. Sometines, at the expense of a long-running veteran series, we need to create and build brand-new shows.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
Personally, I would view the indefinite (20+ years) original run of an animated floating timeline show with no character development or story arcs as a mistake. The Simpsons being let go as a first-run series would actually be a good thing. Sometines, at the expense of a long-running veteran series, we need to create and build brand-new shows.
If you think The Simpsons doesn't have character development then you clearly haven't watched it.

Although to be fair, it probably hasn't had it in about 15 years, so maybe you're right.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
EmoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
If you think The Simpsons doesn't have character development then you clearly haven't watched it.

Although to be fair, it probably hasn't had it in about 15 years, so maybe you're right.
I thought a source said that FOX insisted that all of its animated series lack character development (and story arcs) so its episodes can be shown out of order in syndication.

Actually, I never even bothered to get into The Simpsons when I was younger (and I did get into Family Guy, but my interest in that series is starting to wane in recent months). Most of what I watch today is live-action.
James28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
Yong Fang

The Simpsons needs to be cancelled because it sucks now. Just end it already.

What could have made it a fresher show was to allow the children to get older. If they did, the Aimpson kids would be in their 30's with kids of their own and a career and whatnot, introduction of spouses, etc.

After 25 years, the formula is stale.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
I thought a source said that FOX insisted that all of its animated series lack character development (and story arcs) so its episodes can be shown out of order in syndication.

Actually, I never even bothered to get into The Simpsons when I was younger (and I did get into Family Guy, but my interest in that series is starting to wane in recent months). Most of what I watch today is live-action.
Classic Simpsons absolutely had character development, as do the best of the other Fox sitcoms like Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Futurama. They don't have much in the way of arcs, no, but they all have fully-realized characters that we learn more about the more we watch the show. That's character development, is it not?
EmoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC

*When they acquired the rights to the National Hockey League in 1994-95, they came up w/ the idea of a glowing hockey puck. I can somewhat understand Fox's rationale behind this, before the advent of HD-TV, the puck could be really hard to follow. It however, also turned the broadcasts into a video game (basically, a case of "style over substance") to the point in which it felt like a mockery. More the point, the novelty/gimmick was due to wear thin after a while.
Typical American anti-hockey BS!!!

If you can't follow a black puck on a white ice surface, you either need a large pair of glasses or an attitude adjustment.

I will agree that when FOX introduced the "glow puck" it really was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. (Bringing back Family Guy from cancellation would be #2!) When FOX was awarded the NHL US TV rights, it was supposed to be a landmark watershed moment for the league. FOX was then known as a network that was innovative and cutting edge and would introduce new fans to the world's greatest sport by covering it in a newer and more exciting fashion. Then they came up with the glowing puck and their entire credibility disappeared faster than a Brett Hull slapshot. They also had the dumb idea to make the players into cartoonish superheroes. Before each game, you would see a video montage where a player would get hit with a bodycheck and, through animation, his body would explode into a million pieces. At the end, these two giant evil-looking robots would appear and smash into each other before taking a face-off, and then the real game would begin. It was just so idiotic!

To cover the games, FOX hired their top NFL man James Brown and he looked completely lost. It was obvious that he didn't know much about hockey and he just wanted to keep the show moving and get back to the game. The whole TV experience was one big disaster. The NHL then suffered through a long stretch without a major network contract until NBC stepped in a few years ago (naturally, with reluctance). They've done a bit better in covering the game but there's still some room from improvement. I just hope and pray that in the near future if another network wants to try and get the NHL rights from NBC, it won't be FOX!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: Where we have the biggest failure of all time...at least with a mascot! I'm looking at you Chief Wahoo, who retires an unhappy mascot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I feel IF "The Simpsons" cancel, "Family Guy" will be on for a year or two, but if those two shows bow-out together...then FOX will have a transitional moment which it needs.
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Typical American anti-hockey BS!!!

If you can't follow a black puck on a white ice surface, you either need a large pair of glasses or an attitude adjustment.

I will agree that when FOX introduced the "glow puck" it really was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. (Bringing back Family Guy from cancellation would be #2!) When FOX was awarded the NHL US TV rights, it was supposed to be a landmark watershed moment for the league. FOX was then known as a network that was innovative and cutting edge and would introduce new fans to the world's greatest sport by covering it in a newer and more exciting fashion. Then they came up with the glowing puck and their entire credibility disappeared faster than a Brett Hull slapshot. They also had the dumb idea to make the players into cartoonish superheroes. Before each game, you would see a video montage where a player would get hit with a bodycheck and, through animation, his body would explode into a million pieces. At the end, these two giant evil-looking robots would appear and smash into each other before taking a face-off, and then the real game would begin. It was just so idiotic!

To cover the games, FOX hired their top NFL man James Brown and he looked completely lost. It was obvious that he didn't know much about hockey and he just wanted to keep the show moving and get back to the game. The whole TV experience was one big disaster. The NHL then suffered through a long stretch without a major network contract until NBC stepped in a few years ago (naturally, with reluctance). They've done a bit better in covering the game but there's still some room from improvement. I just hope and pray that in the near future if another network wants to try and get the NHL rights from NBC, it won't be FOX!!!
As bad as Fox may have been w/ their approach to the NHL, ABC was much worse. At least Fox tried to promote the NHL and push it forward:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...edByTheNetwork

Quote:
ESPN and ABC aren't exactly blameless for losing their NHL TV rights, though. Once they pulled some duplicitous tactics to yank broadcast rights away from FOX, both ESPN and ABC proceeded to ignore the league, giving it absolutely no advertising time on ABC and the bare minimum on ESPN. This behavior accelerated when ESPN and ABC got the rights to broadcast NBA games (coincidentally, the NHL's direct competitor for the winter months), with both networks making it clear they were prioritizing basketball over hockey. Then right as the 2004-05 NHL lockout started, ESPN canceled their NHL recap show NHL2night and refused to revive the show when the League approached them for a new cable deal after the labor dispute ended. With this kind of network screwing over a 6-7 year period, you cannot possibly blame the NHL for jumping to a more caring TV partner in Versus (although going with NBC is still inexcusable, as shown above). This blog entry goes into more detail about how Disney's networks screwed over the NHL, as well as the aforementioned dirty tactics used to screw FOX out of any TV rights.
And low and behold, it was around this time in which Michael Eisner had to middle w/ Disney's NHL coverage (acting like, he knew what was best over people who actually know about the sport):
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...world-of-espn/
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote