Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Goldbergs Spinoff Happening After All; Grey's Anatomy Renewed for Fifteenth Season
Fri-Yay: Superstore is Doing the Will They/Won't They Story Arc Right; Laff Pays Tribute to Harry Anderson
CBS Picks Up 11 More Returning Series for 2018-19; BET 2018 Upfront
Carol Burnett Gets Netflix Series; Futurama on Syfy, Marathon on 4/20
The Goldbergs 1990s Spinoff Ordered for ABC; Remembering Harry Anderson of Night Court
It's a Living Coming to Logo on April 21; Hollywood Darlings Returns Wednesday on Pop
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mad About You Reboot One Step Closer to Reality; The Simpsons Addresses Concerns About Character of Apu
Fri-Yay: New Girl Begins Its Final Season; Trial & Error Returns to NBC July 19


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April)

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season

02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/06 - Women of the House - Complete 12 Episode Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 27,653
Question The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in Fox History

I've been holding off doing one on the Fox network because out of all of the major American broadcast networks, Fox seems to be the one that's most notorious for mistreating/otherwise screwing over shows before their time:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...k/LiveActionTV

Other mistakes that immediately come to mind outside of this notion:
*Fox's late night failures outside of MADtv (i.e. The Late Show w/ Joan Rivers, The Wilton-North Report, and of course, The Chevy Chase Show).

*When they acquired the rights to the National Hockey League in 1994-95, they came up w/ the idea of a glowing hockey puck. I can somewhat understand Fox's rationale behind this, before the advent of HD-TV, the puck could be really hard to follow. It however, also turned the broadcasts into a video game (basically, a case of "style over substance") to the point in which it felt like a mockery. More the point, the novelty/gimmick was due to wear thin after a while.

*Turning the theme music for their NFL broadcasts into the "all purpose/universal" Fox Sports theme (meaning that it was also used for baseball, NASCAR, UFC, soccer, etc.).

*Any one of Fox's trashy, sleazy reality programming from the early 2000s:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...e/LiveActionTV
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
catsrule
Forum Veteran
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
 
catsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 01, 2006
Location: The Catacombs
Posts: 10,289
Default

They had a great Friday night lineup of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction and Greed. 2 of the best shows they've ever aired, I think they did well but were cancelled way too soon, especially Greed. Cancelling Back to You instead of Til Death. Moving Touch to Fridays in its 2nd season, it might still be around if it had stayed on a weeknight.
__________________
My Top 100 TV Shows http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=367135
My Top 100 Movies http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=367154
My Top 100 TV Theme Songs http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...28#post5320128
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
jimpickens
Forum Regular
Member
 
jimpickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2007
Location: weston,wv
Posts: 843
Default

Not giving Firefly a chance
Relying too much on animation if they gave nearly the time in live action shows as they do animation they'd have some decent shows
canceling Space Above And Beyond, The Adventures of Brisco County, and Danger Theatre but allowing The Simpsons to continue
not putting out good quality dramas their cable counterpart FX does a better job
Not allowing Married With Children to have a proper finale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
mr awesome
Forum Regular
Member
 
mr awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 23, 2013
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 271
Default

Proper or not the episode MWC ended was good enough for me when Kelly got married. IMO shows of a certain age should always treat their season finales as potential season finales and MWC should have seen the writing on the wall the way they were bounced all over the sked that season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 09, 2007
Location: Where there isn't a football team...just...Clowns!
Posts: 11,520
Default

Having FOX just have Prime-Time Animation Lock, Stock, and Barrel!

Now don't get me wrong, I like "Family Guy" and "American Dad"...but with "The Simpsons" being the Cash Cow for FOX meant that they won't go away, even if Judge Doom dipped Springfield, Timbuktu, USA! (I call it Timbuktu since we'll never know what state "The Simpsons" live in)!

"The Simpsons" even drug-down FOX Animated Shows like "The Critic", "Futurama", and "Family Guy" in its 1st-Run. And Animation Domination seems to be the Prime-Time Animation Monopoly since ABC, NBC, and CBS tried Prime-Time Animation...and failed during the time "The Simpsons" have been on!
__________________
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
mets82
Senior Member
Member
 
mets82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 14, 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,643
Default

I think that MWC deserved a better sendoff. I mean it helped the struggling FOX network get out of the box and no ending? Just a simple thank you and thats it??

Also, if you want to cancel The Simpsons, be careful what you wish for because the show that replaces it, could be a lot worse than The Simpsons.
__________________
http://www.superbowlgreatness.blogspot.com/

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
yankeesrj12
Senior Member
Member
 
yankeesrj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
They had a great Friday night lineup of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction and Greed. 2 of the best shows they've ever aired, I think they did well but were cancelled way too soon, especially Greed. Cancelling Back to You instead of Til Death. Moving Touch to Fridays in its 2nd season, it might still be around if it had stayed on a weeknight.
I absolutely LOVED Beyond Belief: Factor or Fiction. One of the few shows I really miss having on television!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
James28
Senior Member
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader
 
James28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2007
Posts: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Also, if you want to cancel The Simpsons, be careful what you wish for because the show that replaces it, could be a lot worse than The Simpsons.

Personally, I would view the indefinite (20+ years) original run of an animated floating timeline show with no character development or story arcs as a mistake. The Simpsons being let go as a first-run series would actually be a good thing. Sometines, at the expense of a long-running veteran series, we need to create and build brand-new shows.
__________________
"When the run of a network TV show has ended, some go out with a bang, some with a whimper, but all are...Future Endeavored."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool
 
EmoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 71,202
Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
Personally, I would view the indefinite (20+ years) original run of an animated floating timeline show with no character development or story arcs as a mistake. The Simpsons being let go as a first-run series would actually be a good thing. Sometines, at the expense of a long-running veteran series, we need to create and build brand-new shows.
If you think The Simpsons doesn't have character development then you clearly haven't watched it.

Although to be fair, it probably hasn't had it in about 15 years, so maybe you're right.
__________________
"I know the difference between TV and reality, Jeff. TV has structure, it makes sense, there are likable leading men. In real life, we have this. We have you." - Abed Nadir, Community

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
James28
Senior Member
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader
 
James28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2007
Posts: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
If you think The Simpsons doesn't have character development then you clearly haven't watched it.

Although to be fair, it probably hasn't had it in about 15 years, so maybe you're right.

I thought a source said that FOX insisted that all of its animated series lack character development (and story arcs) so its episodes can be shown out of order in syndication.

Actually, I never even bothered to get into The Simpsons when I was younger (and I did get into Family Guy, but my interest in that series is starting to wane in recent months). Most of what I watch today is live-action.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
Yong Fang
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2009
Location: Memphis Tennessee
Posts: 1,485
Default

The Simpsons needs to be cancelled because it sucks now. Just end it already.

What could have made it a fresher show was to allow the children to get older. If they did, the Aimpson kids would be in their 30's with kids of their own and a career and whatnot, introduction of spouses, etc.

After 25 years, the formula is stale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool
 
EmoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 71,202
Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
I thought a source said that FOX insisted that all of its animated series lack character development (and story arcs) so its episodes can be shown out of order in syndication.

Actually, I never even bothered to get into The Simpsons when I was younger (and I did get into Family Guy, but my interest in that series is starting to wane in recent months). Most of what I watch today is live-action.
Classic Simpsons absolutely had character development, as do the best of the other Fox sitcoms like Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Futurama. They don't have much in the way of arcs, no, but they all have fully-realized characters that we learn more about the more we watch the show. That's character development, is it not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Sal
Senior Member
Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 20, 2001
Location: Oakville, Ont. Canada
Posts: 2,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC

*When they acquired the rights to the National Hockey League in 1994-95, they came up w/ the idea of a glowing hockey puck. I can somewhat understand Fox's rationale behind this, before the advent of HD-TV, the puck could be really hard to follow. It however, also turned the broadcasts into a video game (basically, a case of "style over substance") to the point in which it felt like a mockery. More the point, the novelty/gimmick was due to wear thin after a while.


Typical American anti-hockey BS!!!

If you can't follow a black puck on a white ice surface, you either need a large pair of glasses or an attitude adjustment.

I will agree that when FOX introduced the "glow puck" it really was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. (Bringing back Family Guy from cancellation would be #2!) When FOX was awarded the NHL US TV rights, it was supposed to be a landmark watershed moment for the league. FOX was then known as a network that was innovative and cutting edge and would introduce new fans to the world's greatest sport by covering it in a newer and more exciting fashion. Then they came up with the glowing puck and their entire credibility disappeared faster than a Brett Hull slapshot. They also had the dumb idea to make the players into cartoonish superheroes. Before each game, you would see a video montage where a player would get hit with a bodycheck and, through animation, his body would explode into a million pieces. At the end, these two giant evil-looking robots would appear and smash into each other before taking a face-off, and then the real game would begin. It was just so idiotic!

To cover the games, FOX hired their top NFL man James Brown and he looked completely lost. It was obvious that he didn't know much about hockey and he just wanted to keep the show moving and get back to the game. The whole TV experience was one big disaster. The NHL then suffered through a long stretch without a major network contract until NBC stepped in a few years ago (naturally, with reluctance). They've done a bit better in covering the game but there's still some room from improvement. I just hope and pray that in the near future if another network wants to try and get the NHL rights from NBC, it won't be FOX!!!
__________________
Classic TV Online Cartoons
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 09, 2007
Location: Where there isn't a football team...just...Clowns!
Posts: 11,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Also, if you want to cancel The Simpsons, be careful what you wish for because the show that replaces it, could be a lot worse than The Simpsons.

I feel IF "The Simpsons" cancel, "Family Guy" will be on for a year or two, but if those two shows bow-out together...then FOX will have a transitional moment which it needs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #15
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 27,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Typical American anti-hockey BS!!!

If you can't follow a black puck on a white ice surface, you either need a large pair of glasses or an attitude adjustment.

I will agree that when FOX introduced the "glow puck" it really was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. (Bringing back Family Guy from cancellation would be #2!) When FOX was awarded the NHL US TV rights, it was supposed to be a landmark watershed moment for the league. FOX was then known as a network that was innovative and cutting edge and would introduce new fans to the world's greatest sport by covering it in a newer and more exciting fashion. Then they came up with the glowing puck and their entire credibility disappeared faster than a Brett Hull slapshot. They also had the dumb idea to make the players into cartoonish superheroes. Before each game, you would see a video montage where a player would get hit with a bodycheck and, through animation, his body would explode into a million pieces. At the end, these two giant evil-looking robots would appear and smash into each other before taking a face-off, and then the real game would begin. It was just so idiotic!

To cover the games, FOX hired their top NFL man James Brown and he looked completely lost. It was obvious that he didn't know much about hockey and he just wanted to keep the show moving and get back to the game. The whole TV experience was one big disaster. The NHL then suffered through a long stretch without a major network contract until NBC stepped in a few years ago (naturally, with reluctance). They've done a bit better in covering the game but there's still some room from improvement. I just hope and pray that in the near future if another network wants to try and get the NHL rights from NBC, it won't be FOX!!!

As bad as Fox may have been w/ their approach to the NHL, ABC was much worse. At least Fox tried to promote the NHL and push it forward:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...edByTheNetwork

Quote:
ESPN and ABC aren't exactly blameless for losing their NHL TV rights, though. Once they pulled some duplicitous tactics to yank broadcast rights away from FOX, both ESPN and ABC proceeded to ignore the league, giving it absolutely no advertising time on ABC and the bare minimum on ESPN. This behavior accelerated when ESPN and ABC got the rights to broadcast NBA games (coincidentally, the NHL's direct competitor for the winter months), with both networks making it clear they were prioritizing basketball over hockey. Then right as the 2004-05 NHL lockout started, ESPN canceled their NHL recap show NHL2night and refused to revive the show when the League approached them for a new cable deal after the labor dispute ended. With this kind of network screwing over a 6-7 year period, you cannot possibly blame the NHL for jumping to a more caring TV partner in Versus (although going with NBC is still inexcusable, as shown above). This blog entry goes into more detail about how Disney's networks screwed over the NHL, as well as the aforementioned dirty tactics used to screw FOX out of any TV rights.

And low and behold, it was around this time in which Michael Eisner had to middle w/ Disney's NHL coverage (acting like, he knew what was best over people who actually know about the sport):
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...world-of-espn/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.