Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. Photo Gallery

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete First Season

Buy Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete First Season on DVD
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Second Season

Buy Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Second Season on DVD
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Third Season

Buy Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Third Season on DVD
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Fourth Season

Buy Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Fourth Season on DVD
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Fifth Season

Buy Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 22, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Television Distribution Acquires Digital Rights to The Carol Burnett Show; Party of Five Set for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Return of NBC Thursday Night Sitcoms; Everything Sucks at Netflix
The Office Scores on Comedy Central; The Tick Gets 2nd Season on Amazon
Comedy Central Picks Up The Jim Jefferies Show for Second Season; Remembering Donnelly Rhodes from Soap
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
Will Dockery
Forum Regular
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television
Yep. Gomer was actually ranked #2 in the country when he quit in 1969.. It was called The Jim Nabors Hour. I actually remember watching it with my family although my memory is foggy. It was one of my Mom's favorite shows. Frank Sutton and Ronnie Schell also went over to the variety show. It was ranked in the top 20 during the first season but ratings dropped during the second and CBS cancelled it with all the other rural tv shows in 1971.

I have a dim memory of this development for Jim Nabors, also, but wonder what was on opposite his show, I have a feeling something that caught my attention more. I'm pretty sure that most of us were pretty burned out on "Gomer" by then, after five years of the limited stories his sitcom offered, and his singing style was way out of my taste range at the time (even now, honestly), as 1969 was a blockbuster year of musical talent, with The Beatles still leading the way.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #17
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
Jim didn't 'quit' "GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C.": he merely wanted to it to end after five years, so he could become a variety show host, like his friend Carol Burnett. I'm sure he didn't want to be "stuck" in a successful sitcom like his close friend Andy Griffith had for eight years {or more**, and he KNEW he had more talent to display every week than just "being" Gomer. CBS agreed, and scheduled daily repeats of "GOMER PYLE" [at 4pm(et)] from the fall of '69 through 1972. The first season of "THE JIM NABORS HOUR" was an unqualified success, but season two was successfully challenged by NBC's scheduling of "THE FLIP WILSON SHOW", which suddenly became #1 in its time period, with CBS finally deciding they only needed one country-flavored variety hour for the fall of 1971- Glen Campbell's, which was the more successful of the two- and cancelled Jim's. Even though Nabors continued to appear as Carol Burnett's "good luck guest" at the start of every one of her seasons (through 1977), he really never did much of anything on TV after that.

That is true. I heard a radio interview with Jim Nabors several years ago and said he wanted to end "Gomer Pyle USMC" after five years because he felt it had ran its course despite the ratings. At first, CBS balked at the notion of ending a top-rated series, so I think Jim himself proposed a variety show as a way to continue on TV in some capacity to appease the network.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:20 AM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCarolBurnett
That is true. I heard a radio interview with Jim Nabors several years ago and said he wanted to end "Gomer Pyle USMC" after five years because he felt it had ran its course despite the ratings. At first, CBS balked at the notion of ending a top-rated series, so I think Jim himself proposed a variety show as a way to continue on TV in some capacity to appease the network.

Still was stupid to end a top 5 show
Old 01-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #19
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Still was stupid to end a top 5 show

Carl Reiner once said the average sitcom is good for about 100 - 130 episodes and after that, material just starts getting recycled. I tend to agree.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Carl Reiner once said the average sitcom is good for about 100 - 130 episodes and after that, material just starts getting recycled. I tend to agree.

That would mean the writers are not creative
Old 01-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
That would mean the writers are not creative

So, how many sitcoms were still "great" after 170, 180, 200+ episodes?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
So, how many sitcoms were still "great" after 170, 180, 200+ episodes?

Seinfeld
Married with children
Jeffersons
Three's Company
The Office
All in the Family
Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #23
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Some would argue many of those shows ran too long.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Crusinforabrusin

Yes it was true. He quit the show so he could pursue his career in singing. That's why he got his own variety show
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #25
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyandethel
I am sure he wished he had stayed with GOMER PYLE. If it was No. 2 in its fifth season, the show would have enjoyed an eight or nine year run bringing greater residual profits for Nabors.

I always found it interesting that "The Andy Griffith Show" was No. 1 in 1968 at the end of an eight-year run, and Gomer Pyle ended at No 2 in 1969 after a five-year run. Both shows had really run their course. (I could barely watch TAGS after Knotts left quite frankly). But Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. had run its course by 1969. I think Nabors made the right decision to leave it.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #26
terrylmarvin
Occasional Poster

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Was Gomer Pyle, USMC the #1 show back in the late 60's? Was it true Jim Nabors left it to do a crummy variety show?
[b][i][color="Magenta"]Yes, it was true that Jim Nabors quit "Gomer Pyle,
USMC (1964-1969). He wanted to sing and dance more. He didn't do very much of those on "Gomer Pyle, USMC". You know that Jim Nabors passed away on Thursday, November 30, 2017 from Natural causes and a long illness. He was 87. He passed away at his home in Hawaii..
James Thurston Nabors June 12,1930--November 30, 2017.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas, USA)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #27
terrylmarvin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I always found it interesting that "The Andy Griffith Show" was No. 1 in 1968 at the end of an eight-year run, and Gomer Pyle ended at No 2 in 1969 after a five-year run. Both shows had really run their course. (I could barely watch TAGS after Knotts left quite frankly). But Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. had run its course by 1969. I think Nabors made the right decision to leave it.
Saturday, January 13, 2018--12:12 pm CST

It'll be hard to watch "Gomer Pyle, USMC now, and play his records and CDS now that he's gone. Jim Nabors: June 12, 1930--November 30, 2017.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas, USA)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #28
PracTz
Forum Regular

The odd irony is that the variety show seemed to be suddenly torpedoed when unfounded gossip about him and Rock Hudson became widespread -but Mr. Nabors would wind up having a steady career making a comfortable living well into his 80's (and would legally wed his longtime male companion a few years before he died). Yet, I have to wonder if would he have had a career at all afterwards had that gossip exploded during the production of "Gomer Pyle".
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #29
Duster76
Frequent Poster

I don't know who was managing Nabors career at the time, but whoever it was knew exactly what they were doing. There is an old saying in show business, "always leave your audience wanting more", Nabors picked the exact right moment to leave. He would never have any more leverage, and the move to an hour variety format allowed him to show off all his skills. The anti-war movement was at its peak in 1970, and here was a show about a marine as far away from the front as one could possibly be. On top of that CBS was just about to get the country purge started.