Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Father Knows Best links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Father Knows Best Photo Gallery

Father Knows Best - Season One

Buy Father Knows Best - Season One on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Two

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Two on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Three

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Three on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Four

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Four on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Five

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Five on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Six

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Six on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Father Knows Best
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Yes Jude, I am. I just haven't been posting because I know very little about this show. However it's been interesting to read about the different cast changes and different sponsor products. I never knew Jean VanderPyl had ever been involved with this show.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Marv, I'm just happy someone is reading them, doesn't matter if you don't know a squat lick about it

Jean seems to have taken over the role in the 4th (and last) radio season. And they tend to redo scripts more often...I just listened to another one where Betty was planning to marry, a script that was done in the 2nd season already.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

I guess it never really occurred to me that Jean had a career prior to the Flintstones. But then I remembered that Mel Blanc and Daws Butler both worked on radio before becoming cartoon voice actors. So it makes sense that Jean would have also started her career on Radio.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
Jude The Obscure
Retired

And another redo of "The Thanksgiving Story"--so it was done twice on radio and then again on TV!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #20
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Listened to the radio version of "The Christmas Story"--some minor details changed when it was redone for the first season of the TV show.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #21
lalauver
Frequent Poster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
And another redo of "The Thanksgiving Story"--so it was done twice on radio and then again on TV!
this is one of my fav
i watch it every year as part of my thanksgiving weekend
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #22
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I prefer The Thanksgiving Story over the Christmas one.

Now I'm to the point in listening where NBC seems to be the sole sponsor of the show--during breaks, promos for The Bob Hope Show and The Phil Harris&Alice Faye Show are done. The show also ends with "An NBC Radio Network Production in association with Cavalier Enterprises"
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #23
Jude The Obscure
Retired

And now I finished the 2 CD set--which I'm sure does not have every radio episode made, but that's ok......this was a good sampling of over the 4 seasons the radio was on.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
TV Knowledge Fan

Default General Foods...

...originally sponsored the series from 1949 through '53 (it was a replacement for "MAXWELL HOUSE COFFEE TIME" starring George Burns and Gracie Allen, as they moved to CBS for Block Drug's "Amm-i-Dent" ammoniated toothpaste in the fall of '49, before moving to TV in 1950). By the time General Foods shifted their sponsored product from Maxwell House to Post Bran Flakes, Instant Postum, and Sanka coffee after 1952, they were losing a lot of their evening listeners to TV, and gradually phased out their advertising budgets for prime-time radio programs in favor of network TV {Maxwell House was successfully being sold on TV during CBS' "MAMA"}, finally dropping their sponsorship in 1953. That's when NBC began to "sustain" the program during its final season, with various promos for their upcoming shows ("THE BOB HOPE SHOW" {American Dairy Association} and "THE PHIL HARRIS-ALICE FAYE SHOW" {RCA Victor} were on Friday nights, back-to-back, in the '53-'54 season, for those still listening to radio) and public service announcements filling the commercial breaks. Finally, Robert Young and his partner Eugene Rodney decided to concentrate on turning "FATHER KNOWS BEST" into a TV series, ending the radio show in the summer of '54. It was just as well, as a lot of established "prime-time" radio shows were disappearing {Phil and Alice also decided to call it quits that season}, and Bob Hope finally signed off in April 1955.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
William Hogan Jr
Frequent Poster

I am on season 4 right now and I noticed a number of episodes before Christmas that Betty was played by Mary Lee Rob aka Marjorie on The Great Gildersleeve. Rhoda Williams returned just a little bit before the Christmas Present for Father episode.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I preferred Rhoda, she sounded more like the older Kitten on TV.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
Will Dockery
Frequent Poster
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
Robert Young was the only actor to go from the radio to TV versions. Just as well, because none of the radio actors compare to how well Jane Wyatt, Elinor Donahue, Billy Gray or Lauren Chapin do the parts. I've heard that Kathy on radio was played by an adult actress trying to sound like a 9 year old. In any case, it is still worth listening,for these are the roots of the TV show. And so far to the ones I've heard, not one radio episode was redone for TV.

Thanks for the information on the original actors and actresses of Father Knows Best, I found a CD a while back with a couple of the radio episodes, and wondered about that... at least Robert Young is there to anchor the show, though, like other posters here, the television version is as ingrained with me as Andy Griffith Show, or to make a more appropriate comparison of radio-to-television, Gunsmoke.

"Cannon" as Matt Dillon... "Floyd The Barber" as Doc Adams?!?

Talk about a Bizarro Universe Gunsmoke there...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
Will Dockery
Frequent Poster
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...originally sponsored the series from 1949 through '53 (it was a replacement for "MAXWELL HOUSE COFFEE TIME" starring George Burns and Gracie Allen, as they moved to CBS for Block Drug's "Amm-i-Dent" ammoniated toothpaste in the fall of '49, before moving to TV in 1950). By the time General Foods shifted their sponsored product from Maxwell House to Post Bran Flakes, Instant Postum, and Sanka coffee after 1952, they were losing a lot of their evening listeners to TV, and gradually phased out their advertising budgets for prime-time radio programs in favor of network TV {Maxwell House was successfully being sold on TV during CBS' "MAMA"}, finally dropping their sponsorship in 1953. That's when NBC began to "sustain" the program during its final season, with various promos for their upcoming shows ("THE BOB HOPE SHOW" {American Dairy Association} and "THE PHIL HARRIS-ALICE FAYE SHOW" {RCA Victor} were on Friday nights, back-to-back, in the '53-'54 season, for those still listening to radio) and public service announcements filling the commercial breaks. Finally, Robert Young and his partner Eugene Rodney decided to concentrate on turning "FATHER KNOWS BEST" into a TV series, ending the radio show in the summer of '54. It was just as well, as a lot of established "prime-time" radio shows were disappearing {Phil and Alice also decided to call it quits that season}, and Bob Hope finally signed off in April 1955.

Sad times for radio, and such a shame, because radio was, and is, a great medium for storytelling.

Long live the Podcast!