Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

USA Network's Suits Gets Spin-Off?; TV Land's Younger Hits Series High...Again
EPIX Series Gets All-Star Cast Including Patrick Dempsey; Connie Britton Is a SMILF
NBC Summer Pilot Review: Marlon - Premieres Wednesday (August 16); Netflix Has the Best Worst Weekend Ever
Antenna TV Adds Prime Stacks for Rest of Summer; GLOW Gets Season 2 on Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 14, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: How I Met Your Mother Spinoff Still Being Considered; Reboots for King of the Hill and The Munsters?
Fri-Yay: Animated Sitcoms; School is Back in Session this Fall on TV Land's Teachers
Three's Company Stars Reunite for Antenna TV's '70s Rock & Romance Cruise; Kathy Bates Sitcom Premieres Aug. 25

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

06/13 - The Andy Griffith Show - Return to Mayberry
06/13 - That's My Mama - The Complete Series
06/20 - Workaholics - The Final (Seventh) Season
06/20 - Workaholics - The Complete Series
06/27 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Third Season
07/04 - Superstore - Season Two
07/18 - Father Knows Best - Season Six
07/25 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season
07/25 - Girls - The Final (Sixth) Season (Blu-ray)
08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #61
MikaelaArsenault

Didn't somebody leave the show (one of the girls)?

If so, then that was the worst episode.

And Harry Anderson too.

https://ilovewhoseline.imgur.com/all/

http://whoselinefan.imgur.com/all/
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #62
'80sSitcoms
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
"Three on a Couch" (why wasn't it four?)

Because we don't count Sophia. It's the other three that are fed up living with each other; Sophia is just a live-in bystander to it all, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault
Didn't somebody leave the show (one of the girls)?

Not during the series, no, but the series finale was Dorothy's wedding and at the very end she moved out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
Foreign Exchange bothered me because, despite the medical test results that Sophia tore up, it was obvious that she was not Dorothy's biological mother. Who wanted to learn that????

It's not obvious, it could just be a heavy coincidence. Besides, we see in one of the vignette episodes that Dorothy grew up to look like Sophia's mother, so she is indeed Sophia's daughter. That's what I choose to believe. Maybe some fans choose to believe Dorothy was the other Italian couple's daughter (I never liked the premise of that episode anyway, because I believe Dorothy is Sophia's; they even recast Gloria later in the series to make her tall and husky-voiced like Bea).

And amongst a lot of negativity here (I know, it's that kind of thread, lol), I like the vignette episodes.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #63
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

I didn't like the flashback episodes, which GG had too many of. Those episodes were basically reruns, repackaged as new episodes.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #64
'80sSitcoms
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
I didn't like the flashback episodes, which GG had too many of. Those episodes were basically reruns, repackaged as new episodes.

I see this is sadly a prominent opinion around here. I like the flashback episodes. After all, grandmothers and great aunts love to tell stories and reminisce on funny things they've told and retold, so it seems cozily fitting to me for these old ladies to reminisce and retell stories to share again and again.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #65
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

"I didn't like the flashback episodes"
"I like the flashback episodes"

I'm somewhere in between. I love the flashback episodes where they show us things that we haven't seen before. Like the Valentine's Day episode. The Mother's Day episode. The "Rites of Spring" episode. The episode where they're trying to make money, etc. All of those gave us new stuff to watch.

But it can be kind of tiring to watch the ones where they show scenes we've seen before in previous episodes. Like Bedtime Story, the one where Sophia is going to live with Phil, or the one where Blanche was considering selling the house. They did do too many of those "look back" episodes, I must admit. Even "The President's Coming" was primarily flashbacks.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #66
'80sSitcoms
Forum Regular

Yeah, there are the "vignette" episodes, which are all new material flashing on memories we haven't seen before, and then there are the "flashbacks" which show clips from previous shows.

And I still can't believe Blanche felt that she couldn't have sold shares of her house to the girls. I mean, really?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #67
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

"And I still can't believe Blanche felt that she couldn't have sold shares of her house to the girls. I mean, really?"

Well, in real life, it could create problems down the line. For instance, selling the house would be more complicated, because all four of them would have to agree to do it, and on what they would accept.

To me, the logical thing to do in real life would be to put all their names on the mortgage for a token "sale price' of a dollar each or something, and then Blanche would still retain complete control of the house legally, and be entitled to make any and all decisions about it.

But it was very unrealistic for Blanche to tell the girls "now you have equity" without any mention of them putting any money into buying the house. That situation made no sense to me.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #68
'80sSitcoms
Forum Regular

What gets me though is when she claims, "I just could never sell it---not even to you!" Really? Not even to your closest friends who have lived in that house for years? Women you consider your sisters and your mother? It was like the house was so sentimental she couldn't even consider selling it to her closest friends whom she considers family. It's a darn good thing she changed her mind by episode's end, otherwise that could be unforgivable to fans, lol.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #69
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

It's possible that the issue of selling the house factored into the failure of The Golden Palace, although I'm sure the absence of Dorothy was the primary problem.

The notion that the three of them would suddenly decide to leave their beloved home and buy a hotel, which they would have to work hard to run at their advanced age, was so silly it just didn't ring true.....even in the context of a sit-com. Presumably, the house was paid for, so no mortgage to worry about. They all had their own bedrooms, had a history there, enjoyed the area they lived in, etc. Leaving such an ideal situation would have been a bigger deal than they reflected in the dialogue of the pilot episode.

I will always admit there were episodes of The Golden Palace I liked. I paid $30 to have them on DVD, and I don't regret it. But the basic concept for the show was rather silly, at best.