Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Returns on TBS with New Episodes; Brady Bunch HGTV Series Underway
WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Katiegirl
First Time Poster

Default What do you like least about the show?

It bothers me how mean they are to each other. An occasional sarcastic remark is funny, but it's kind of excessive. I love the show, but if they had toned that down I would love it more!
Katiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

I can't think of anything that I truly disliked about the show. Certainly, Sophia could be cruel in how she treated Dorothy and the other Girls, and Blanche was a total narcissist. Rose was dim-witted and could be taken advantage of, but she was a beautiful and wonderful person. But these traits were in-tune with their characters and helped make the show the smashing success that it was. If I had to think of anything I didn't like, it would have to be that it should have gone on a few more seasons!
80sTrivia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

The constant sex jokes.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

The lack of overall continuity and story arcs. This is something that plagued most sitcoms of that era - as they typically didn't have arcing plot points outside the occasional to be continued... episode.

It just felt everything would resolve itself in 30 minutes. Characters would come and go, dates and boyfriends, only to be never mentioned of again. The only consistent relationship any of the girls had was Rose with Miles.

It just didn't seem very realistic.
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
magellan333
Forum Regular

Sophia 's treatment of Dorothy is what always bothered me. Dorothy was a good daughter to do all she did for her, but Sophia was more often cruel than kind.
magellan333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Conner
The lack of overall continuity and story arcs. This is something that plagued most sitcoms of that era - as they typically didn't have arcing plot points outside the occasional to be continued... episode.

It just felt everything would resolve itself in 30 minutes. Characters would come and go, dates and boyfriends, only to be never mentioned of again. The only consistent relationship any of the girls had was Rose with Miles.

It just didn't seem very realistic.
I agree. The lack of consistency, especially involving relatives and their family backgrounds.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiegirl
It bothers me how mean they are to each other. An occasional sarcastic remark is funny, but it's kind of excessive. I love the show, but if they had toned that down I would love it more!
I loved the show, but it bothered me a lot how Sophia would often put down her daughter Dorothy. She made too many inappropriate jokes about her and it got me mad.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Dianne3
Forum Regular

This is a very easy question for me to answer.
The inconstincies (?) of all things, family relatives.

1. How many kids did Rose and Blanche have?
I don't believe Blanche had six kids, but six were mentioned.
2. One of Dorothy's kids should have been a lot older.
Dorothy's grandchild to be was only mentioned once.

Of course, there are a lot more examples.
To mention them all would be to write a novel.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3

Yes. And why didn't they visit more often? How many of Blanche's kids did we actually see on screen? If she had as many as she suggested, you'd think a few of 'em would visit - especially since Blanche was the only one from the region (the South) and most likely had her children, at least a few of 'em, within an easy drive.
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
JR1
Forum Regular

I didn't necessarily like how, while they made even more fun of Dorothy in the last season or two, the jokes just weren't as funny. And I didn't like how the writers from season 5-on toned down Dorothy (not to mention Sophia). But, that has more to do with the change in writers and all that.

A lot of the great sitcoms had inconsistencies in character details and history (even I Love Lucy, so we shouldn't be surprised that GG had that, as well.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
pamala
Occasional Poster

I agree sometimes the remarks were very mean and uncalled for, sometimes they used Sophia's stroke (disease) for her to say horrible and not so funny remarks; however this would be the writing, also how was Bea's son 29 when she had to get married and divorced after 38 yrs.? This is the one major flaw ,and I mean major, the writers just made somethings up and then if it didn't suit a storyline a year later? it was to be forgotten, many many times this was done. To this day I think Rue had the most children, but I am not sure.The biggest blunder was the age difference in Dorthy's marriage and the age of the kids. YET I LOVED THAT SHOW AND STILL DO!!!!

Last edited by pamala; 10-07-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: misspelled word
pamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
ShamelessFanGirl
Great Power and Resposbility
Forum Regular

I have loved this show since I was 15 years old and there are very few complaints that I could give about it. Except these 4 things.

1. Whenever the girls went anymore, it didn't matter where it was they always lost their luggage. It became a long running joke on the show that after three seasons got very tiring.

2. Something would happen and their families would ended saying the same thing. "I shouldn't have come here." or "The biggest mistake was coming here at all." Once again it just became a standard thing to create unecessary drama

3. A Banqute or special event and whenever they would catch wind that one of them might win, the tables would turn and they insult and say mean things to each other.

4. I thought sometimes things that the Sophia and the girls would say about Dorothy was very cruel when they would make fun of her looks or how her body was. Dorothy was just as attractive as any one of them, but yet they take any opportunity they could to insult her. Especially Sophia who seemed to put her daughter down a lot.
ShamelessFanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
ShamelessFanGirl
Great Power and Resposbility
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
I agree. The lack of consistency, especially involving relatives and their family backgrounds.
Agreed. I remember on a recent episode Dorothy mentions that her grandmother (Sophia's mother) was 98 when she was 6 years and says that she passed away. However, in the Mother Day episode it showed a flashback with Sophia's mother and Dorothy was clearly was a grown woman at the time.

Last edited by ShamelessFanGirl; 10-20-2013 at 09:19 AM.
ShamelessFanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
I loved the show, but it bothered me a lot how Sophia would often put down her daughter Dorothy. She made too many inappropriate jokes about her and it got me mad.
That's why Dorthy put her mother in a old folks home, until the first episode when it burnt down (Sophia?)
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
lauracrook
celinedionfan89
Frequent Poster

Question Many inconsistencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3

Yes I noticed all the inconsistencies too! Doesn't stop me from loving the show at all but for example: when Blanche is trying to bribe Dorothy she says she has had four kids but has never had a Mercedes and she would give Dorothy one of her sons...however in another episode (and on Wikipedia- info about the show) it states Blanche does indeed have 6 kids??? I was confused to say the least.