Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-29-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
Kane

Default Dale Kerstetter and the missing platinum

This morning, Lifetime reran a 1989 segment about Dale Kerstetter, who disappeared from his workplace in 1987. He worked as a security guard at a factory in Pennsylvania.

One night in September of 1987, while working the graveyard shift at the factory, he disappeared along with some platinum that was stored there. A masked intruder was involved inthe theft, but whether or not Kerstetter was directly involved remains a mystery.

One of the surveillance camera tapes showed Kerstetter with this masked intruder (though as you'll recall, the segment showed reenactments of the surveillance footage). Kerstetter appeared as though he was being coerced by the intruder, though there is speculation that it may have actually been a ruse. What I find to be puzzling is the fact that Kerstetter looked right at the camera. It's also eerie because one must wonder whether it was a secret call for help, or just a flaunt. But to me, one thing is certain: that gesture was obviously Dale's nonverbal way of saying something.

As of this morning's telecast (April 29), there is still no update on the disappearance. And unfortnately, as time goes on, the chances of Dale Kestetter still being alive become increasingly remote.

Personally, however, I think Dale Kerstetter played a role in the platinum theft. It might have been a small or indirect role, but I believe he was involved to some degree. Plus, according to one of the segment's participants, whoever took the platinum was "extremely familiar" with the plant, and that it occured at a time when there were only a few lights on. This leads me to believe that theft was an inside job.

I would welcome any opinions about this case.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:38 PM   #2
dynoguy88

Default reply

I wish I could give an opinion on this case, but it's one of the few UM cases that I don't remember or might have seen only once.

Hopefully I'll see that one again, soon.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:55 AM   #3
mrtuesdaynight
Occasional Poster

Yeah, I remember this case. It was always weird to me that he looked straight into the camera when he was walking with the masked man. I agree that Dale was probably involved because, if you remember correctly, during the segment the supervisor at the plant said that Kerstetter was a marginal employee at best and that he had been in trouble before with the company.
mrtuesdaynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 01:25 PM   #4
Kane

Quote:
Originally posted by mrtuesdaynight
Yeah, I remember this case. It was always weird to me that he looked straight into the camera when he was walking with the masked man. I agree that Dale was probably involved because, if you remember correctly, during the segment the supervisor at the plant said that Kerstetter was a marginal employee at best and that he had been in trouble before with the company.
In addition, as mentioned in my previous message on the subject, he was in a monetary crisis. However, one of his grown daughters was said to be in a financial position to care for him, and that he had money invested. So, according to the daughter in question, he had too many legal avenues to obtain money.

Nonetheless, as I mentioned earlier, I'm convinced that he played a role in the theft, and that it was probably an inside job. Plus, this might be the real reason why the intruder concealed his identity.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:59 AM   #5
Or So It Seems
Frequent Poster

Default I bet it was an acquaintance of Kerstetter

I've watched this segment probably a dozen times over the years and thought about it a lot.

My guess is that Kerstetter told someone about the platinum and it was either this person that did the theft or they gave the information to another person who did the theft.

It doesn't make sense that Kerstetter committed the robbery then disappeared. He had lived his whole life in the community, his entire family was there, all of his social supports. He's going to leave all that and disappear for the rest of his life for the platinum? Yes, he may have been a marginal employee and yes he had financial problems, but how many people fit that profile?

I believe someone he may have known committed the robbery and then killed him because Kerstetter knew their identity.
Or So It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
fivecats
Frequent Poster

Default Dale, at last!

I did some searching and finally found a Dale Kerstetter thread! This is my choice for most naggingly intriguing unsolved cases and an ongoing joke with my husband. All I have to do is say the name and he rolls his eyes. He's made a bet with me that if they do solve the case, I'll quit watching Unsolved Mysteries.

I'm not sure what happened to ol' Dale. There's part of me that thinks he was involved, because of his inside knowledge of where the platinum was stored. Then again, he could have been strong-armed into the theft by another employee. His family comes off as pretty naive, but that one son seems kinda shady, like he knows something. The story has a distinct pull, because it has a hint of the little guy sticking it to the large corporations; it's hard to get mad at Dale, like it's hard to get mad at that sweet ol' grandmother who scammed her workplace (can't think of the episode).

The problem is, you can't find a darn thing on the web about Dale! This is the case of the century, darn it!
fivecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
CODIS
Frequent Poster

I remember this story as well. It was one of the first stories I believe. What the program failed to mention is 2 things that always interested me. 1) how much pipe was actually taken ( they mentioned a "section" ) but that could mean anything. 2) was the plant paid anything by the insurance company for the platnium pipe. ( I know this is a long shot, but when people are questioned about business partners or spouses deaths, insurance plays a big role )
Also,

anyhow, Platnium is not the least conspicious product to try and carry around and fence. IMHOA
CODIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
ddelta
Frequent Poster

I did not believe Dale was involved because the way his lunch pail was set up with the paper and keys, like he was about to eat. Also, the fact that he left his cigarettes in his truck. Sounds stupid, but i use to be a smoker and if you are going to go anywhere that you know and in a high stress situation you take you cigarettes.

That plant looked like it was quite large so they had to have a number of people working there who would know where the platinum was. No doubt it was an inside job, but i don't think it was Dale who did it. Why put himself there?? Let them do it when another guard was on and reap in teh profits while being able to stay with your family.

I believed he was killed shortly after they left the plant. And i know if i was in that situation and i knew where the cameras were i would look up at one to say "help me". I probably wouldn't if i was involved.
ddelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelta
I did not believe Dale was involved because the way his lunch pail was set up with the paper and keys, like he was about to eat. Also, the fact that he left his cigarettes in his truck. Sounds stupid, but i use to be a smoker and if you are going to go anywhere that you know and in a high stress situation you take you cigarettes.

I believed he was killed shortly after they left the plant. And i know if i was in that situation and i knew where the cameras were i would look up at one to say "help me". I probably wouldn't if i was involved.
That's an interesting theory. I had the same inital reaction: If I knew the cameras were in place and was being taken somewhere against my will, I would probably look at the camera, too. That being said... I do see how someone could interpret the staring into the camera as a brazen act.

Nice counterpoint argument, though, DDelta!
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
UMFanatic
Unsolved Mysteries
Frequent Poster

This is one of my favorite segments of all time. I really don't know which theory I would go with. Both sides have good arguments. Although, I might have to lean more towards the Dale was in on the deal. I've always thought about that camera if you were involved why in the world would you walk in front of the camera unless you were trying to make it look like you had been kidnapped. But the way he looks at the camera makes me think that he was involved in some sort of way.
UMFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Allierain
17-year lurker
Forum Regular

Maybe someone can help me with this. Wasn't this the case where they recorded a drop in temperature in the molten platinum tank? Didn't someone claim to see a body in it?

Or am I thinking of a case totally different?
Allierain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allierain
Maybe someone can help me with this. Wasn't this the case where they recorded a drop in temperature in the molten platinum tank? Didn't someone claim to see a body in it?

Or am I thinking of a case totally different?
You're thinking of the Dave Box (Spelling I am not certain of) case.

As for the Kerstetter case, this is one of those cases I really don't know about. I'm 50/50 on this. I would have thought he would have re-surfaced by now IF he was involved but to my knowledge he hasn't been seen since? That was in 1987..so I would think he wasn't involved and been killed but then I look at the sercurity footage and I think he was.. ARGH I don't know!
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Mr.Clairvoyant
Frequent Poster

I am not sure about this one.. I am almost certain that Dale Kerstetter was not directly involved willingly but more so a victum that by now has been murdered.. because he knew to much.. or perhaps it could simply be a case of wrong place wrong time
Mr.Clairvoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Clairvoyant
I am not sure about this one.. I am almost certain that Dale Kerstetter was not directly involved willingly but more so a victum that by now has been murdered.. because he knew to much.. or perhaps it could simply be a case of wrong place wrong time
"Not directly involved" is how I speculate it as well. But it's possible that he was indirectly involved. He may not have orchestrated the platinum theft, but I haven't ruled out the possibility that he was something of an unwilling participant.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
DJ_Foxx
Frequent Poster

Dale's son from the segment seemed very suspect to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the son was the masked man in the video!!!
DJ_Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote